Sodastream and pot?

Srilania

It dawned on me that I had a match made in heaven. I routinely have a sodastream machine, and even make soda water without anything added. I know plants preffer o2 for the roots, and CO2 for the leaves, but would loading this into a sprizt bottle and squirting the leaves help at all?

If no one answers here, I would suggest a google search. I do not know the answer here. IF google turns up nothing your next move would be to experiment with your idea, but if you add nothing to the machine then I would not be sure where the CO2 comes from that your machine is using to carbonate your liquid and would suggest your machine is not using CO2 but compressed air maybe. Keep in mind I do not own a soda machine and know nothing about them.

Good luck finding your answers.

Ummm, no. Sodastream uses a compressed CO2 canister, and squirts it into the bottle, which pressurizes from the CO2 injection, and dissolves CO2 into the water, forming soda water, with all the fizz. I know it's CO2 and not "air" because when normal air is pressurized and bubbled through water, water doesn't usually get full of fizz. It's a unique reaction of carbonic acid, since as the CO2 releases from the water, it makes the trademark bubbles

And it's food safe, since this CO2 IS meant for products you ingest.

Well with that new info I still do not know if it would be good to spray directly on the leaves, but I do not see why it would hurt your plants unless the CO2 levels in soda are incredibly high. I have read 1200 ppm of CO2 are about as high as most go, but have read some reached 1500 ppm. I would be very interested if you would like to do an experiment by marking one branch and spraying it for a couple of days and report back here with pics.

Thanks for sharing your idea, I hope it works out well for you.

I am already experimenting with several other factors at the moment, including trying to get some clones going for the LED grow test, the scrogging forks, and other things. Once I have some clones going, I'll do one as an experiment

Right now, working on getting clones together for differing experiments, including this one. It'll take a while to get things set up on my limited budget, but I'll manage.

However, at present, I make all my soda IN the grow room now, as the sodastream burps some of that CO2 out. While that little burp might not do a whole hell of a lot, I figure at 15 dollars a canister, I might as well not waste it.

A few guys on Youtube use store bought club soda, with nothing added, just carbonated water. I didn't really notice a difference in their plants vs just growing them without spraying the leaves with club soda.

The idea is as the carbonated water evaporates, it releases CO2, which the plant can then breath. The problem is, you have to foliar feed while lights are not on, or just turning on or off, so the leaves aren't breathing CO2 when they are sprayed.

I have seen dry ice make a difference when it is place behind a fan that is blowing on the plants while lights are on.

Back
Top Bottom