Soil for starting seedlings

I have seen multiple people say the original is too hot by itself, the flowerbed is just simple potting soil from the store with no amendments, seems safer.
They say the same thing about Ocean Forrest yet I start my seeds in it every time without issue.

I personally start seeds in solo cups for the first 7 to 8 days.
Then I go straight into 20 gal fabric pot from there.
If you have good soil that has has a proper soil tilth then watering is no problem at all.
Ok, I have that. I really wanted to try this root feeding system with a five gallon, I will sacrifice at least one to that, or maybe try to transplant it, might actually be pretty easy since the water wicks up through minimal contact with the soil bed. Probably going to go big (20) after that, because I have heard again and again , give them the space and they will use it.

Ok, I have that. I really wanted to try this root feeding system with a five gallon, I will sacrifice at least one to that, or maybe try to transplant it, might actually be pretty easy since the water wicks up through minimal contact with the soil bed. Probably going to go big (20) after that, because I have heard again and again , give them the space and they will use it.
@Nunyabiz , what do you fill your twenty gallon pots with?

This thread, by @Emilya explains her use of cups to start, and some other great information too, highly recommend :

So how did they turn out bro? I just put 3 seedlings in 1 to 1 Roots Organics Original and plain potting soil. Spent over an hour tryin to decide what to use. Hydroponics store said straight to Roots and seed co said plain potting.

dunno but jhuck hasn’t logged on since Nov 6, hope they will be back

most here start out in light soil mix, there’s several ways to accomplish that. layering different soil mixes or simply filling a pot with roots mix but leaving the center out (see pic) for a lighter seedling starter mix, or starting in light mix then transplanting into your roots mix soil

in the pics - on left is airpot with 2 liter soda bottle as a spacer, pop the spacer out & transplant a chick into the hole, other is blue cococnut water container used as spacer or placeholder it’s soil
underneath and layer of perlite on top

the exception would be autoflowers….. best to grow autos without transplant by starting in large final container but then you’ve got to learn to water differently

Back
Top Bottom