Soil questions

Revenantecho

I've been looking at different soil recipes and pre bagged soils and trying to get a grasp on understanding the soil system and this whole thing so I know what I'm doing when it comes to soil can anyone recommend any good reading material or insight into this.

Thank you!

I read this thread from start to finish, all 76 pages. There was SOOOOOOO much valuable information in there. I couldn't begin to tell you where to start reading because every page has great information.

I saw you posting in the thread I linked to you. Keep reading its great stuff. I definitely recommend making your own soil if you live somewhere that has access to the amendments. I went down to the local hydroponics store and bought all my dry amendments for ~$115.

Base Soil: I mixed up enough for 21 gallons. (~3cuft)
  • 1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss (7gal) --- 3cuft bale cost $12
  • 1/3 EWC (compost) (7gal) --- 30lb bag cost $20
  • 1/3 Perlite (Aeration) (7gal) -- Cost like $15
I then amended the base soil with the following dry amendments: 1/2 cup per cubic foot (1cuft = 7.5 gal)
  • Fish Meal (9-4-0)
  • Crab Shell Meal (4-3-0)
  • Kelp Meal (1-0-2)
  • Neem Seed Meal (6-1-2) + Pest Control
  • Oyster Shell Flour (Calcium)
  • Gypsum (Calcium / Sulfur)
  • Glacial Rock Dust (Trace Minerals)
^^ All those amendments for ~$115.

For my grow space this will be enough to last my years. Over time this will save me a lot of $$ compared to buying bagged soils.

a good soil recipe,, used it for a long time, before i discovered that my store bot soil and peat moss was importing pests into my grow.

but,, the recipe,, four equal parts of,, peat moss, potting soil, vermiculite, perlite

one can also add equal parts worm castings, but i tried this and did not see the expected benifits

cheers friend

Hey Rev,

All great advice given above! I think when making a batch of soil many overlook the concept of cooking their new soil for at least 30 days before use. Something like FFOF or Coast of Maine is cooked before it’s bagged. The soil and amendments shoukd be mixed thoroughly and placed in a tub or trash bin and watered in, it should have a lid on it and it should sweat. Put a few green leaves on top to make sure it fuzzes up with white fuzzy mold then you know microbial life is active. I know back with the high brix group they discovered problems with folks trying to cook a soil in a tub or trash can but found the concrete slab temps in wintertime or outdoors prevented the soil from cooking properly until they elevated it from the slab. Point is you need to follow along to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom