-soil-

Jimps

Hey, dont know if this is a stupid question but, I was just wondering if I could use soil from a field to grow with? Like a cotton or corn field. Mix with perlite? Any input would be great Thanks!

^^^^^ Oh hell yea crack that wallet!
One of the best moves I ever made was to move away from using (and re-using!) crappy soil. The soil is probably the most important factor in your plant's health next to genetics. You'd be just amazed at the difference between a generic craptastic potting mix and Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
Your plants will grow in pretty much any soil, but bad soil is going to cause an endless list of issues ranging from nutrient problems to bonus insect action (way bonus).

Cheers

Yea to all the above and DO NOT get that MG with time release death, no fertilizer added Straight up potting soil add your own worm castings and some epsigrow and let em grow. Try to select a good feed, 1 part is less hassel, that you can buy anytime of week, and go light. Feed weekly, weekly.

I'm a newb with soil inquiries too...

I have two half empty bags of potting soil kicking around my garage. Could I add perilite and/or vermiculite to them to create a suitable growing media?

The first is President's Choice (Canadian no-name) The Perfect Mix all purpose lawn and garden soil. It says all natural organic based soil conditioner. Has organic compost, sedge peat, composted cow manure, calcinated clay, topsoil.

The second is Alltreat Farms all purpose potting soil. Just says 'great for indoor and outdoor flowering or vegetating plants' 'Special blend of organic materials, peat sedge, compost'

Neither soil says anything about plant food added or slow-release nutrients or anything like that.

Both are very fine, dark, and appear to be clean/free of pests. I'm guessing a bunch of additives and aerators need to be added as this soil on its own would retain too much moisture.

Let me know if I should just grab some perilite and/or vermiculite (do i need both?) and I'll be good to go, OR should I just man-up and buy a new bag of good soil...(bare in mind I live in Canada so FFOF is hard to find, there is a ton of MG products available, and I have access to one maybe two hydro shops) Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom