Soviets 1st Grow - Soil - 600WHPS - White Widow/StrawBerry Cough -2013

Hi Soviet,

I think your girls are looking good. Not sure I saw any reponse directly to your flowering time frame question, but yes 60-80 days of flowering should be enough time for them to finish.

As to cloning and keeping them alive, perhaps you can take the cuttings 3 weeks or so prior to your move and between the fact that cuttings taken when the plant is in flower take a little longer to root, and the fact that the cuttings would be quite small after only 3 weeks, you could handle giving them the TLC during the move. I think you'll find them to be quite resilient little buggers.

Be well and happy growing.

Hello kind people. 5 days until Flower. I will post pictures on the last day of Veg. I've been doing reading into clones and the lights people use. I was thinking of using t5's or something like this for rooting clones and vegging plants(that is until I start using MH):
51ds-V84_TL_SL1000_.jpg

I don't want to take cuts from flowering plants, so If I can create a small space to keep the cuttings(I haven't taken yet) in somewhat of a stasis then I will try and do so. May have to extend the veg period by a couple days. If not I will try and reacquire these strains at another time, and just let them go when I hack the plants down. Not interested in keeping mothers at this time.

First grow isn't even over yet, but one thing I would've done different in Veg, would be to give the girls nutes much sooner.

Looking into getting some sort of a jewlers Loupe or magnifying glass to identify the state of the trichomes. I was reading more into the harvesting phase. Specifically the trichnomes and the transparent/cloudy/amber state and how it affects the smoke.

Thinking with my 3 white widow I'll harvest each plant at different intervals of trichomes development. For example, 15%,25% and 35% amber. Don't want much of a couch lock effect, but I'm interested in seeing the difference in harvest times.

Veg is officially done. First day of flower. Soaked the girls last night, with one last dose of Grow nutes. Going to start the bloom routine in a day or two, need to let them dry out.

Temp of room is 83 at the moment, humidity is 55-60.

I accidentally burned the strawberry cough plant(from the light). It kept growing, didn't seem to hinder it much. I may have an issue with the SC height, I had some trouble with my timer and it led to an extended veg period.

You can see the light burns in one of the pictures, some of the leaves have yellow/brown ends, I'm hoping it's not nute burn. Some of the plants pistils are turning amber/brown color. Looks nice, tried to get it in the photo, may be hard to see.

I read over my Bloom bottle, it says to only use the nutes for 6 weeks of the flowering cycle. I've been reading up on White Widow and it apparently has a 9-12 week flower schedule. I was wondering if I should discontinue use at week 6 or extend use, due to the longer flower cycle. The reason I ask is; the Grow nute bottle didn't mention cutting off use.

Got some pictures.
IMG_093116.JPG
IMG_092921.JPG
IMG_092712.JPG
IMG_092615.JPG
IMG_092414.JPG
IMG_092313.JPG
IMG_092218.JPG
IMG_092115.JPG
IMG_092018.JPG
IMG_091918.JPG
IMG_091824.JPG
IMG_091716.JPG
IMG_091629.JPG
IMG_091520.JPG
IMG_091421.JPG
IMG_091323.JPG
IMG_091222.JPG
IMG_091117.JPG

i would use your bloom nutrients until you begin your final flush. it is clear that in the past your plants have had nutrient burn but not recently, i would still be cautious with the amount you are feeding.

Thanks King. I have been cutting down the amount of food given. I'm not sure how much water people use, but I've been giving them 1 litre of nute water(7.5ml) and 1 litre of ph'd water about every 2 days. Letting them dry out first of course.

I'm sort of stressing the Strawberry cough' height. Apparently some strains can quadruple in height once sent into flower. Since I didn't acquire my seeds through a bank with info on the strain, I have no idea how tall the plants are going to get. I just started reading about LST. Not sure if it's ever to late to start incorporating it. I don't think I can have the plant getting any taller then 6 1/2 feet.

I was also wondering if there is a way to verify the strain I'm growing. Outside of being told the seeds name, I wouldn't know the difference. I'm thinking I need to wait closer to harvest.

Great work, those are huge! sub`d:thumb:

Greatly appreciated!

Hey Folks. I haven't had a chance to go out and get the materials for LST. I'm making time tommorow 100%. I was thinking about using shielded copper wire, that or twisty ties of some sort. The shielded wire appeals to me the most. I'm not sure if it's the BEST option, what do you folks use ?

My SC is pushing 4 feet, fast. I don't want to super crop, unless I absolutely have to. I know I made a glaring mistake in not applying LST earlier(to be quite honest, I didn't know about it, outside more complex systems like SOG and SCROG)

My room temp is lowering, it's great. The dog days of July were terrible. Surprisingly, August hasn't been that bad. The average lights on temp is still not ideal(80), but it's something I'll learn from and prepare for next time. Humidity hovering between 55-60 lights on.

Early on in veg I mistook nute burn with a deficiency and it ended up in further nute burn. I believe I have an understanding of the plants needs, The SC is a massive nute/water hog and the WW are much more sensitive. I've upped the amount of water they are receiving. My feeding schedule is DAY 1 2L PH water and 1L nute water(at 4-5ML per Litre). Day 2 2L PH water. Day 3 2L Ph water. Day 4 2L Ph water, 1L Nute water, etc etc(mind you this is split amongst all 4 plants). I'm really trying to have the plants(mainly the front 2 WW). Recover from the nute burn, hopefully this schedule aids the process.

I haven't upgraded my watering system(the water reserves, and watering tool) yet, so I have to water them daily, instead of soaking.

I apologize if the pictures aren't great, the room is freaking cramped, no room to maneuver. It's difficult to get focused pictures when I have to go full on contortionist :cheesygrinsmiley:.

The last 6 days I've had to raise the lights daily, with the SC growing so quickly. If I could redo it all, I'd either go full WW grow, or LST the hell out of the plants early.

I know I can't expect to fix the height problem completely, this far in, with LST. However I'm really hoping it's somewhat effective this late in the game. I did read that it is at least noticeable in all forms of growth(perhaps less so in flower, I honestly don't know).

Edit: I'm not sure if you can tell by the pictures, but do you think any of these are female ? I'm hoping I didn't pressure them into Hermies( I don't know how to identify a hermie).

You may notice some necro'd leaves, lower on the plants. I'm going in to remove all the dead leaves tonight, and hopefully in conjunction with LST I can get some light to the lower bud sights. I'm excited to see if the LST works for me this late, I'm hoping it helps cut down on the popcorn bud near the bottom of the plants.

I will try my best to get better pictures of the nodes. Would like to give out a huge thank you for subs, and helpful info in this thread, You people are great!

Pictures below.
IMG_094418.JPG
IMG_094320.JPG
IMG_094221.JPG
IMG_094115.JPG
IMG_093922.JPG
IMG_093717.JPG
IMG_093617.JPG
IMG_093418.JPG
IMG_093313.JPG
IMG_093211.JPG

IMG_094616.JPG
IMG_095019.JPG
IMG_094821.JPG
IMG_094717.JPG
IMG_095117.JPG
IMG_095223.JPG
IMG_095519.JPG

Hey Soviet those plants are pretty damn nice! Good job! Did they already shown their sex? if not, I guess that the big one could be a male but don´t believe I´m just guessing. From what I have read generally the males are bigger but it isn´t a determinate factor.
How many days have passed since you changed the photoperiod?

Hey Soviet those plants are pretty damn nice! Good job! Did they already shown their sex? if not, I guess that the big one could be a male but don´t believe I´m just guessing. From what I have read generally the males are bigger but it isn´t a determinate factor.
How many days have passed since you changed the photoperiod?

What's going on Liquid! Thanks for checking in, I appreciate the support. Today is Day 15 of Flower. I will start all my future updates with the flower day/week.

I checked all 4 plants for signs of sex. I have good news to report, every single plant is showing signs of female flowers, and no ball sacks to be found, that I can see anyway. Mind you not every calyx has protruding pistils yet, but the top of the plants have them for sure.

I have pictures, that most likely suck(in terms of determine sex). It's mainly of my LST efforts. I'm looking for constructive criticism. I bent the top SC plant cola down below the next highest bud site. I grabbed a couple other bud sights and dragged them down/sideways to promote bushy growth. So please let me know if I did it correctly. I went with plastic covered steel wire, I sort of noosed the stem and then drilled holes in my pots rim.

I will get better pictures for determine sex later tonight, I'm going to remove the plants from the room for the pictures, then return them. It's just to hard to get anything done in that tight space, hard as hell to focus in on the plant. Should've done it sooner, but what can you do.

That's about it, I started my LST, feel free to have a big chuckle, I know I did!. Let me know if you guys think I can do it better. I'm by no means done, I didn't want to do more, unless it was correct. I feel like I have the top cola on the SC plant about as far down as It can go without snapping, I was going based of tension in the stem, It'll take some time to master the art I assume!

All of the below photo's are of the tall SC plant.

IMG_098015.JPG
IMG_097814.JPG
IMG_097814.JPG
IMG_097619.JPG
IMG_097517.JPG
IMG_097420.JPG
IMG_097318.JPG
IMG_097117.JPG
IMG_097017.JPG
IMG_096914.JPG
IMG_096816.JPG
IMG_096715.JPG
IMG_096620.JPG
IMG_096513.JPG
IMG_096414.JPG
IMG_096313.JPG
IMG_096211.JPG
IMG_096114.JPG
IMG_096014.JPG
IMG_095913.JPG
IMG_095817.JPG
IMG_095717.JPG

So I went back to look for a sex shot, didn't remove plants from room, tired. Not sure if you'll be able to see it. If not, I'll try to picture it another time. Cleaned the grow room a bit, covered the roots from the watering erosion(thanks to mcloadie Post over at FOG grow journal), did some more LST too.

The WW is so much easier to work with, due to it's height. When I bent the SC main cola over, it blocks out the light below big time, which sucks. I also feel like the bud growing on the top cola, may be hindered, do you think it'll grow normally ? It just looks like it's out of the lights reach(the very top).

The two front plants are LST'd. Moved the SC to the front. May put it back, I'm just trying to find the best placement, that gets the most light to the most bud sights. Tied down a lot of the lower bud sights on the SC, I'm hoping they grow out and up, eventually. I Tied down the top of the front WW, hoping the auxin's create new tops on the plant, along with the SC.

I'm excited about mastering LST, using it from the get go on my next grow. The benefits seem huge.

Some pictures may be doubles from my post above, it's hard to tell when choosing.
IMG_099811.JPG
IMG_099613.JPG
IMG_099511.JPG
IMG_099413.JPG
IMG_099316.JPG
IMG_099213.JPG
IMG_099114.JPG
IMG_099012.JPG
IMG_098912.JPG
IMG_098816.JPG
IMG_098715.JPG
IMG_098613.JPG
IMG_098515.JPG
IMG_098421.JPG
IMG_098317.JPG
IMG_098212.JPG
IMG_098015.JPG
IMG_097814.JPG

Hi Soviet, sorry to answer till today but I was out of the town. Great news about all your girls! Seems that you are going to have lots of buds! :D Let me tell you that, for me, looks like you are doing a great job with the LST. I have to be honest, I just tried a little bit of LST in growing phase not in the flowering phase. But seems that will work just fine. Have you thought about doing some defoliation? It could help to increase the light penetration. I will look forward to see how those plants get bigger and bigger! :D Nice job man!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info. :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom