Spotted Laternflies

TobaccoRowMtn

420 Member
Hello everyone. Anyone's dealing with spotted laternflies? Checked my 4 plants and all had nymph laternflies. One had a significant number with about 20 in a one foot section. Neem worked but they came back so quickly I can't spray that much neem. Just so many of them. None on leaves, just on the stems. As they are in a vegetative stage I went ahead and used sevin dust specifically on the stems. Anybody have any other suggestions as the closer it is to time to bud I have to stop with the sevin dust.

:welcome:to the forum @TobaccoRowMtn :passitleft:

Here's a natural remedy for you...milkweed

Milkweed is readily available and easy to plant. It is very beneficial to monarch butterflies and other pollinators. Not so beneficial to the lanternflies however, as the milkweed contains a toxin that will make them sick and they will eventually succumb to the effects from it. Out goes the lantern!

grow a few in small pots that you can make a barrier around your grow area.

Welcome to 420 Magazine @TobaccoRowMtn

What do you have growing?
Do you have any images you would like to share?

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Neem worked but they came back so quickly I can't spray that much neem. Just so many of them. None on leaves, just on the stems.
Sounds like an outdoor grow taking place. Check your plants to be sure that there are no egg masses somewhere on the stem. It sounds like the insects show up pretty quickly so look around and try to find there are host tree(s) close by.

The Tree-of-Heaven, which is an invasive plant, is considered one of the major host plants. The insects will still lay eggs even if that particular tree is not in the area so check everywhere.

As they are in a vegetative stage I went ahead and used sevin dust specifically on the stems. Anybody have any other suggestions as the closer it is to time to bud I have to stop with the sevin dust.
Use an insecticidal soap. Those are recommended. They are often considered safe for use on most crops.

Penn State has the Co-Operative Extension agricultural college for the state of Pennsylvania. They have been doing research on the Lanternflies so check their website. I did come across an article titled "Spotted Lanternfly Experts Debunk Myths About The Prodigious, Pestilent Pest" written by Amy Duke which did mention a few things to try and which did not work.

I let Mr Google do a bit of searching and as the adult Lanternfly develops its mature wings it does look like a moth but there is no stage in the life cycle where there is a caterpillar so the Btk did not come up as a control. But a Neem Oil spray was mentioned as working well.

Good luck.

Hello everyone. Anyone's dealing with spotted laternflies? Checked my 4 plants and all had nymph laternflies. One had a significant number with about 20 in a one foot section. Neem worked but they came back so quickly I can't spray that much neem. Just so many of them. None on leaves, just on the stems. As they are in a vegetative stage I went ahead and used sevin dust specifically on the stems. Anybody have any other suggestions as the closer it is to time to bud I have to stop with the sevin dust.
SInce they're still in veg, get some Azamax, and use it as a systemic. I'd go about 2 tablespoons per gallon, and give each plant about 4 cups of that, and water it in. It's the only thing that seems to work on persistant pests like those, and thrips. You will have plenty of time to let the Azamax be completely gone by the time you start your flowering cycle.

Sounds like an outdoor grow taking place. Check your plants to be sure that there are no egg masses somewhere on the stem. It sounds like the insects show up pretty quickly so look around and try to find there are host tree(s) close by.

The Tree-of-Heaven, which is an invasive plant, is considered one of the major host plants. The insects will still lay eggs even if that particular tree is not in the area so check everywhere.

Use an insecticidal soap. Those are recommended. They are often considered safe for use on most crops.

Penn State has the Co-Operative Extension agricultural college for the state of Pennsylvania. They have been doing research on the Lanternflies so check their website. I did come across an article titled "Spotted Lanternfly Experts Debunk Myths About The Prodigious, Pestilent Pest" written by Amy Duke which did mention a few things to try and which did not work.

I let Mr Google do a bit of searching and as the adult Lanternfly develops its mature wings it does look like a moth but there is no stage in the life cycle where there is a caterpillar so the Btk did not come up as a control. But a Neem Oil spray was mentioned as working well.

Good luck.
Thanks. You are right. It is an outdoor grow. In Va. I can legally grow 4 plants. I also failed to mention I live on the side of a mountain with nothing but trees around. THere are host plants everywhere. I think I do need something with some residual effect as there seems to be an unlimited supply. Thanks for the help.

I suggested the "Milk Weed Plant" because I run organics and some insecticides will kill my microbes, that seven dust will most definitely kill any microbes in the soil...just a heads up :smokin:
Thanks for the heads up. Have been entirely organic with my vegetables and cannabis up to this point. I have worked hard over the years in creating an inviting soil and was unaware sevin would kill microbes in the soil. Even more reason to find alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom