Storing Seeds for Future Use

ismokeweed

Hello All.. Luckily last night we got 2 seeds in a gram of "Mr.Nice " :allgood:

I'd like to know the best way to " preserve " the seeds for use after contstruction is done. Just put them in a bottle? Bag? Any specific way?

Thanks in advance..

:peace:

Thanks man! Yeah this will just be for a couple of months.

Now the tricky part is finding a light proof air tight container.. lol

Akornpatch said:
black film canister.

I was wondering, what about those plastic bottles they give @ co-ops?
that the bud comes in.. some are green some are red so light will prolly still come in

You can use any type of small canister bro, even old medication containers. just needs to be air tight, dark containers work best because they are light proof. You can always wrap containers with tape.
Here's my tip below.
Put seeds in paper packet or bag with some rice. Wrap packet or bag of seeds with dry paper towels and put in dark plastic container. Store in back of fridge or freezer. The paper towels act like a buffer to prevent freezer burn.
The paper towels and the rice remove moisture from condesation build up when removing from cold storage to ambient temps.

You don't need to refrigirate or freeze seeds, just keep in a 35 mm film container filled up the rest of the way with uncooked rice and keep in a cool place.

True,true^
But I store seeds for long periods so I store for the long term(Years). I use every trick I know to keep moisture away and in the freezer is pretty low humidity.

lol I store mine where ever they land when I toss them in my night stand drawer but in a container of some sort. I have several hundred to thousand so far. Some for up to 15 years and they are all still viable. I just germed three 13 year old seeds a couple weeks ago and had 100% success. I don't pay for them and have so many I really don't take great care of them. They stay air tight and in the dark so I guess it's been good enough.lol I've been gifted or traded but not bought. Not for severaql years anyway and then only for certain genetics.
I was just gifted 10 silver pearl not too long ago. Any word on that strain from anyone? I've never grown it. Just smoked it.lol

It is true that you don't "need" to store them in the fridge, it extends the life span greatly.

Last spring I found about 200 beans in the garage in an old box that I hadn't even looked in for about 13-14 years or more. So I germed them all at once and I got a couple dozen or so to pop. And you know how hot it gets in the garage in the summer when it's 100 degrees outside. I was surprised that any were alive.

So I'm a firm believer in the fridge method.

Nope... that's what the curing process is for.. The rice is to absorb excess moisture from the seeds and container.. You don't want to do that with your buds.. at least not rice anyway..

If you need to store the buds for a long time but don't want to freeze them, you can put a few of those silicon bead packets that absorb moisture in the jars..

Peace
MC

Back
Top Bottom