Stumped, been a while

Midwest Grower

Been a while but attempting my own medicine again, soil this time.

SpiderFarm SF-1000 in a 2x2
Soil is Purple Cow Indicanja
Temps are 80-85f
RH 40-50%
Autoflower - Super Lemon Haze
PH 6.0-6.5
Not sure of PPM
Using RO water for feeding

Both are about 6 weeks old and I think just started flower since pistils are forming, first time running autos. I noticed some fan leafs yellowing and dying so I figured maybe time to start feeding. Got Fox Farm tiger bloom, and watered at 1/4 the recommended feeding and now 5 days later the new growth is yellowing and tips are yellowing and browning. Gonna give plain PH’d RO water this watering, thinking maybe I fed them too soon? Foraging the forums and google for information but any advice is very much appreciated.

747C67CA-B2F3-4BA1-BB0D-B2693DBE8626.jpeg

76C86711-2673-47F4-B6FA-A4CC4D7111AE.jpeg

Been a while but attempting my own medicine again, soil this time.

SpiderFarm SF-1000 in a 2x2
Soil is Purple Cow Indicanja
Temps are 80-85f
RH 40-50%
Autoflower - Super Lemon Haze
PH 6.0-6.5
Not sure of PPM
Using RO water for feeding

Both are about 6 weeks old and I think just started flower since pistils are forming, first time running autos. I noticed some fan leafs yellowing and dying so I figured maybe time to start feeding. Got Fox Farm tiger bloom, and watered at 1/4 the recommended feeding and now 5 days later the new growth is yellowing and tips are yellowing and browning. Gonna give plain PH’d RO water this watering, thinking maybe I fed them too soon? Foraging the forums and google for information but any advice is very much appreciated.
Hey Hung... I hope you are having a wonderful Saturday! The mistake you have made is in thinking that Tiger Bloom all by itself is a proper fertilizer. It is not, it only works in conjunction with 2 other products, which must be mixed precisely as recommended by the soil feeding chart, based on the week of your grow. Using only one of the products, using the dosing instruction on the bottle, and not using the rest of the scientifically designed growing system is the problem here. You are only giving a few of the needed nutrients, and at 1/4 dosage you are hardly doing that.

Go back and get both the Grow Big and the Big Bloom and download their feeding chart for soil. Trust the scientists who developed the FF Grow System instead of online gurus that recommend 1/4 feedings and things are going to go a lot better for you. This is a soil grow, so throw away your hydro tool, that ppm meter, and simply go by the recommended amount of teaspoons per gallon recommended on the chart, for the week of your grow on every other watering, or as the chart recommends, twice a week. In between the feedings, give your plants pH adjusted RO water, adjusted precisely to 6.3 pH.

Running a bit hot on temps for indoors can you dial down a few degrees? Yes prolly heat/light stress judging by leaf serrations. Curious why RO water for soil grow? Might need to tweak that ph to 6.3 on the money

FF Tiger Bloom is 1 part of a 3 legged stool, need Big Bloom & Grow big too. I’m going to ask @Emilya to stop by on her next visit. Ah there she is….

Hey Hung... I hope you are having a wonderful Saturday! The mistake you have made is in thinking that Tiger Bloom all by itself is a proper fertilizer. It is not, it only works in conjunction with 2 other products, which must be mixed precisely as recommended by the soil feeding chart, based on the week of your grow. Using only one of the products, using the dosing instruction on the bottle, and not using the rest of the scientifically designed growing system is the problem here. You are only giving a few of the needed nutrients, and at 1/4 dosage you are hardly doing that.

Go back and get both the Grow Big and the Big Bloom and download their feeding chart for soil. Trust the scientists who developed the FF Grow System instead of online gurus that recommend 1/4 feedings and things are going to go a lot better for you. This is a soil grow, so throw away your hydro tool, that ppm meter, and simply go by the recommended amount of teaspoons per gallon recommended on the chart, for the week of your grow on every other watering, or as the chart recommends, twice a week. In between the feedings, give your plants pH adjusted RO water, adjusted precisely to 6.3 pH.
Been a pretty lazy Saturday. Thanks for taking the time out of your Saturday to help. I must of edited the Big bloom out, but I got the tiger bloom and the big bloom, I didn’t get the grow big. This soil is suppose to last till harvest if flowering pot is 3 times the size of the vegging pot. I just kept it in the same 3 gallon pot since seed so I messed up there too. Thought I could get away without the grow big I’ll go back and grab it too, try out a full feed next feeding see how it goes.

Running a bit hot on temps for indoors can you dial down a few degrees? Yes prolly heat/light stress judging by leaf serrations. Curious why RO water for soil grow? Might need to tweak that ph to 6.3 on the money

FF Tiger Bloom is 1 part of a 3 legged stool, need Big Bloom & Grow big too. I’m going to ask @Emilya to stop by on her next visit. Ah there she is….
Thanks for helping 013. I can get it under 80, a fan recently broke so the temps are a little higher than normal. Should have the new fan tomorrow. I also turned down the light a bit when the leaves started to twist. Honestly I used the RO in soil just based of what the guy at the hydro shop said. Told me with Purple Cow soil just need to add RO water he didnt even mention PHing it.

Hey there @HungDaddy

Your plant(s) look like they are experiencing an iron deficiency. I could be incorrect but the symptoms starts as yellowing between the veins on the new growth and the yellowing starts at the base of the leaf blade rather than the tip.

Applying the Grow Big should fix your issue.

EDTA means it's chelated for quicker absorption. Here is the list of ingredients from the grow big.

Ingredients: Ammonium sulfate, ammonium phosphate, urea, blood meal, potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, earthworm castings, Norwegian kelp, iron EDTA, zinc EDTA, manganese EDTA, copper EDTA, chelating agent, disodium ethylenediamine tetra acetate (EDTA), sodium borate and sodium molybdate.

Thanks for helping 013. I can get it under 80, a fan recently broke so the temps are a little higher than normal. Should have the new fan tomorrow. I also turned down the light a bit when the leaves started to twist. Honestly I used the RO in soil just based of what the guy at the hydro shop said. Told me with Purple Cow soil just need to add RO water he didnt even mention PHing it.
OK... the plot has thickened a bit here. First of all, the purple cow could have supplied everything your plants needed all through the grow, and all you needed to do was add clean water so you kept the microbes in that soil happy. It was autopilot from there on... and there would be absolutely no need to pH adjust.

But, somehow you got hold of Tiger Bloom, a strongly synthetic nutrient... basically, a microbe killer. If the hydro guy sold this to you, he sabotaged you. At least temporarily, applying that stuff to your soil has damaged some aspect of the living soil thing.

But you asked about Tiger Bloom and it seemed that even though you had soil that could have supported your grow all by itself, you were choosing to fertilize with synthetic nutes anyway. Its no biggie, and people do this all the time... so I advised you on the proper use of the Fox Farm product line. When you applied that Tiger Bloom, even at 1/4 rate, and pH adjusted too... you started to kill off your microbes.

You now have a choice. Buy the rest of the Fox Farm trio and turn this into a Fox Farm grow, and not an organic supersoil grow. Or, go back and kick that hydro shop guy in the shins, get your money back on the Tiger Bloom, and instead buy a microbe inoculation product, to get your Purple Cow back on track.

Been a pretty lazy Saturday. Thanks for taking the time out of your Saturday to help. I must of edited the Big bloom out, but I got the tiger bloom and the big bloom, I didn’t get the grow big. This soil is suppose to last till harvest if flowering pot is 3 times the size of the vegging pot. I just kept it in the same 3 gallon pot since seed so I messed up there too. Thought I could get away without the grow big I’ll go back and grab it too, try out a full feed next feeding see how it goes.
Yeah, the smaller container does make it harder to have a soil only grow... so you are probably better served by going with the fox farm line at this point, at least for this grow. In the future, try the sohum in at least a 5 gallon and see how it does all by itself.

But while you are hopping on the Fox Farm train, while you are getting the trio and downloading the feeding chart, also consider buying the small trio of solubles, the Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz and Cha-Ching. This one purchase will last you several years of growing in the fox farm system, and this really rounds out the nutritional needs for producing some amazing buds. Fox Farm is a great system, and I will still be running it if I hadn't learned how much cheaper it is to grow organically, and how much better the end product tasted.

But heed this warning. Fox Farm is a complete system, and it must be run as they recommend. This means not only following their feeding instructions that change from week to week, but also very carefully managing your incoming fluid pH levels at 6.3 exactly. Also, a huge amount of EDTA left over salts accumulate in your soil using these nutes, and it is absolutely mandatory to flush your soil 3x the volume of your container, at several points in the grow... the feeding chart will tell you when. You can't take shortcuts or change any part of the Fox Farm system if you expect to have an amazing grow.... but follow their instructions exactly, and the stuff works like magic.

Hey there @HungDaddy

Your plant(s) look like they are experiencing an iron deficiency. I could be incorrect but the symptoms starts as yellowing between the veins on the new growth and the yellowing starts at the base of the leaf blade rather than the tip.

Applying the Grow Big should fix your issue.

EDTA means it's chelated for quicker absorption. Here is the list of ingredients from the grow big.

Ingredients: Ammonium sulfate, ammonium phosphate, urea, blood meal, potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, earthworm castings, Norwegian kelp, iron EDTA, zinc EDTA, manganese EDTA, copper EDTA, chelating agent, disodium ethylenediamine tetra acetate (EDTA), sodium borate and sodium molybdate.
Thanks Pat! Checking to see if any stores are open that have it.

Yeah, the smaller container does make it harder to have a soil only grow... so you are probably better served by going with the fox farm line at this point, at least for this grow. In the future, try the sohum in at least a 5 gallon and see how it does all by itself.

But while you are hopping on the Fox Farm train, while you are getting the trio and downloading the feeding chart, also consider buying the small trio of solubles, the Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz and Cha-Ching. This one purchase will last you several years of growing in the fox farm system, and this really rounds out the nutritional needs for producing some amazing buds. Fox Farm is a great system, and I will still be running it if I hadn't learned how much cheaper it is to grow organically, and how much better the end product tasted.

But heed this warning. Fox Farm is a complete system, and it must be run as they recommend. This means not only following their feeding instructions that change from week to week, but also very carefully managing your incoming fluid pH levels at 6.3 exactly. Also, a huge amount of EDTA left over salts accumulate in your soil using these nutes, and it is absolutely mandatory to flush your soil 3x the volume of your container, at several points in the grow... the feeding chart will tell you when. You can't take shortcuts or change any part of the Fox Farm system if you expect to have an amazing grow.... but follow their instructions exactly, and the stuff works like magic.
I won’t be going to that shop again, he specifically recommended Fox Farm for my purple cow soil. We have one other shop a little further away so I’ll just pick up Grow Big and the other stuff and carry on with the schedule. I got it download gonna print it out and have the wife laminate too. Since this is my first auto I was told not to transplant so I never upsized the pot. I ordered some photos for the next grow so a week before flower I’ll make sure the pot is 3 times the size. Just hope the damage isn’t to bad the grow is ruined. You have journals on your organic grows? Like to learn more about going organic.

Should I flush now before starting the fox
Farm regimen?

Should I flush now before starting the fox
Farm regimen?
no, because what would you be flushing? There is no point in a flush right now, because until you started using synthetic nutes, there wasn't any salt building up, and at 1/4 dose, there wouldn't be much anyway. No, just start the FF and you will see on the chart that every time they do a major shift in the nutrient load, basically when you change to another of the 3 solubles, you are instructed to flush, and this effectively dissolves and washes out the salt as well as any nutrients that have been building up in the soil so that the new mix can take hold immediately.

For now, just start on the mix as called for during your week of the grow and feed every other time, making sure that the pH of your incoming fluids, whether it is plain water or water with the feed mix, is set exactly to 6.3 pH. Don't worry about the pH of your soil or runoff... neither of those numbers are important in this grow.

I won’t be going to that shop again, he specifically recommended Fox Farm for my purple cow soil. We have one other shop a little further away so I’ll just pick up Grow Big and the other stuff and carry on with the schedule. I got it download gonna print it out and have the wife laminate too. Since this is my first auto I was told not to transplant so I never upsized the pot. I ordered some photos for the next grow so a week before flower I’ll make sure the pot is 3 times the size. Just hope the damage isn’t to bad the grow is ruined. You have journals on your organic grows? Like to learn more about going organic.
Yeah, he doesn't seem very knowledgeable, or at worse, he is deviously evil, trying to get you to give up on soil and move toward his high priced hydro stuff. There is a whole lot more profit for him to make selling you on hydro and turning you off on soil. It is a common practice, and we regularly hear about hydro shops sabotaging organic soil grower who are new enough not to know better.

You have also bit into some myth, what we call around here, bro-science... and you will find that there are many journals showing that huge auto plants can be created by ignoring the bad advice by training and successively uppotting autos. Believe very little that you hear at the hydro stores or even online, until you have had a chance to test it out for yourself.

I have 10 years of journals out here, some of the early ones when I was still using Fox Farms nutes, and more as I experimented with my early stages of organic growing, and over the last couple of years trying out a couple of other nutrient systems. Lately I have found what has to be the very easiest way to grow organically, where instead of supersoil, any old soil can be used, and then supplemented every 2 weeks with a topical application of raw nutrients and the microbes to process them, turning that old unfortified soil into a genuine organic grow. @GeoFlora Nutrients is my method of choice now simply because it is easiest way to grow organically that I have found yet. For the last year or so I have been using it exclusively, and then for a couple of years before that you can see as I experiment, trying to find the best growing system for my patients. My model patient is a paraplegic, who has the use of one arm and wanted a growing system that he could easily manage. For years I have been searching for the simplest, most reproducible and consistent growing system for him and I have found what I was looking for with the Geoflora. Personally, I love the ease of the Geoflora and the ability to use junk soil or even coco with it, and even use un PH adjusted tap water with chlorine in it... because the Geoflora comes in fresh every two weeks with new microbes and raw food, even tap water can't stop it from working.

Back
Top Bottom