Switch from soil to hydro--crosspost

Stuck in 60s

This is a crosspost in case more people look here than in Hydro. Forgive me if its bad form, but I need a bit of help.
Hi guys, long time lurker, have a quick question. I have a couple of new plants from seed, about 3 inches tall. Have to get rid of them and a buddy that grows with hydro will take them....but, they are growing in soil. Is there a way to switch from soil to hydro on a gradual basis? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated, need to do this fairly soon. TIA

I definately wouldn't recommend your friend doing this. You will have to get ALL of the soil off the roots in order to transplant. I've tried this before, and it is next to impossible to do without completely mangling the roots.

This is a crosspost in case more people look here than in Hydro. Forgive me if its bad form, but I need a bit of help.
Hi guys, long time lurker, have a quick question. I have a couple of new plants from seed, about 3 inches tall. Have to get rid of them and a buddy that grows with hydro will take them....but, they are growing in soil. Is there a way to switch from soil to hydro on a gradual basis? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated, need to do this fairly soon. TIA

Thanks Ms Fox. That hurts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this might be done? Trying to extract the roots and clean them before putting in solution? Anything like that? These are good, expensive seeds and I hate to lose them...you know. Any suggestions would really be appreciated...we are willing to try anything.

hese are good, expensive seeds and I hate to lose them...you know. Any suggestions would really be appreciated...we are willing to try anything.
Just let it grow a little taller in the soil, then clone it. Problem solved. :smokin:

:peace:

Harry

A follow up to this issue. Nothing conclusive yet, but it doesnt look good. The ones growing in soil have not recovered in the transplant to hydro. They have not died, but are not really growing or thriving, like we hoped they would. One thing is they might have been too young....maybe it they were a bit older, with better roots, it would have worked. For now, we are waiting to see what happens.
If anyone ever tries to do this....try to wait till they are at least 4 weeks old, and then give it a try. We think the root system is the key....and that these didnt have enough roots to survive.
We think it can be done...but we have no real proof yet.
More later if they recover and survive.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom