Tap water shows 40 PPM, do I need a filter or is that fine.

KarlJay

Just got my HM TDS-3 meter. It's showing 40 for my tap water. As a quick test, I ran some water thru a near new 'brita' type drinking water filter. The meter showed 100 for the filtered water.

I have no clue what all this means at this point and will be reading the PPM tutorial soon, but I was wondering if a RO filter should be used.

I don't think the tap water is a problem, my grow looks healthy and I don't want to spend money that won't make much difference in the outcome.

The main reason for the PPM meter is to see if I have a problem or not. I've had some issues with leaves turning brown.

So do I just over water the plant, catch the run off water and test that? If the run off is too high, I'm feeding too much nutes, too low and I need more?

It's a soil grow.

I think that I understand that this will NOT tell me what's wrong with the plants. The only thing it will tell me is if I have hard water and if I'm over feeding my plants, right?

Ive been using tap water for a couple months now. I never tested the PPM but its always 6.0-7.0 Thats really the only thing I worried about really. As JJ said chlorine could be an issue depending on how hard your water is. But letting it sit out for a couple days will do the trick.

you meant PH when you say 6.0-7.0, right :D

My PH is always too high and I'm using about 3/4 teaspoon of PH down to correct it back to about 6

@JJ, I thought PPM told you if you have hard water or not. Now I'm a bit confused, what exactly does PPM tell you?

More importantly, what does testing the run off water tell you?

I bought this more as a trouble shooting device to help make sure everything was ok. I'm still concerned about the leaves turning spots/brown/burn look.

I was hoping this PPM meter would tell me if I'm over doing the nutes.

yea your right KJ. I meant to say I never checked the PPM but the PH was always 6.0-7.0 Thats my bad on the typo.

The PPM meter will tell you how strong your nutrient solution is before feeding to your plants. IMO i dont think its important to check the run off. As long as you PH the solution before feeding then your plants will be fine.

As for the water, I fill up about 7x 500ml bottles of water and let them sit out for 2 days before using and then just rotate. I say 500ml bottles because all of my 1 gallon pot plants take 500ml water per feed/water

you meant PH when you say 6.0-7.0, right :D

My PH is always too high and I'm using about 3/4 teaspoon of PH down to correct it back to about 6

@JJ, I thought PPM told you if you have hard water or not. Now I'm a bit confused, what exactly does PPM tell you?

More importantly, what does testing the run off water tell you?

I bought this more as a trouble shooting device to help make sure everything was ok. I'm still concerned about the leaves turning spots/brown/burn look.

I was hoping this PPM meter would tell me if I'm over doing the nutes.

Yes, PPM meters are used to see how pure (or un-pure) your water is. It also tells you how concentrated your nutrient solution is once it is added to the water.

The thing is, some people start with a high PPM from their tap, say 400 and then they add the fertilizer which could bump it over 1000 PPM total. Not all plants can handle that much, some can.

yea your right KJ. I meant to say I never checked the PPM but the PH was always 6.0-7.0 Thats my bad on the typo.

The PPM meter will tell you how strong your nutrient solution is before feeding to your plants. IMO i dont think its important to check the run off. As long as you PH the solution before feeding then your plants will be fine.

As for the water, I fill up about 7x 500ml bottles of water and let them sit out for 2 days before using and then just rotate. I say 500ml bottles because all of my 1 gallon pot plants take 500ml water per feed/water
Cool, that's what I do. I have 2 five gallon buckets of water sitting waiting for several days before I use it. I probably should get an air stone and air pump for that.

As I fill the buckets, it kinda smells like a swimming pool, so I'm probably best to get an air setup.

Yes, PPM meters are used to see how pure (or un-pure) your water is. It also tells you how concentrated your nutrient solution is once it is added to the water.

The thing is, some people start with a high PPM from their tap, say 400 and then they add the fertilizer which could bump it over 1000 PPM total. Not all plants can handle that much, some can.

Ok, I haven't tested a nute watering yet, but I should be less than 1000 from what you say.

Maybe my 'good' water has helped me to get lucky on my grow so far. Several have said I have a great grow, yet I have almost no clue what I am doing :D

So testing the run off has little value then?

If you stay in the < 1000 PPM ballpark you should not be having any nute overload problems?

So testing the run off has little value then?

If you stay in the < 1000 PPM ballpark you should not be having any nute overload problems?

Right on testing the run off. The older your plants get the more nutes they will need which will then raise the PPM to or over 1000. A seedling or 2-3 week old plant wont be able to take 1000 PPM. But some time during flower the nutrient solution will reach about that. Depending on what all your feeding it.

I was just using 1,000PPM as a reference. Some people go far above and some stay below, it just depends on the grow style.

Speaking of being lucky, you know the definition of luck don't you? When preparation and opportunity meet ;)
That's actually the 1st time I've ever heard that!

Luck - When preparation and opportunity meet... Dam that's good!

PPM - parts per million & EC may well be related to each other !

If you increase nutrient ratio you may well observe a higher PPM & EC which is pretty easy to tell if ya got a meter thats tells you both !

Totally pointless with oranic nutrients tho...

Now tap water with a PPM value tells me its has a higher or lower value of lets call it elements of the periodic table with some being classed as micro nutrients & others thats what PPM is, just being a measurement of elements in the water which can found out by a reasonable good search of your own water companys supply... as after all they have to meet requirements for water supply suitable for human health !

Now what bothers me is the mention of Brita !

To me that suggest a brita filter for a water jug ! & if so has a side effect of placing sodium (some form of salt) into the water... this may lead to defecienceys/toxicity issues, ya just need to do a little research first to see that of which i'm not to sure about RO filters !

As of chlorine well that disperses over time & most growers will leave the water to stand for 24 hours before use & chlorine content may well varie depending on length of supply line as it disolves over time/distance from supply to maintian optimal conditions for human health...

Chlorine does dissvolve with contact of organic matter/soil quite quickly & only swimming pool quanties of chlorine being deprimental to plant health !

So if using RO/soft water a calcium & magnesium supplement should be used as you will sure to be lacking of these nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom