Test of the Air Bubble Theory - Cloning experiment

Nice work Weaselcracker!

I just love myth busting experiments. Until I get a PhD in plant biology, which is highly unlikely, I will never forward a theory on anything grow related and absolutely loath those who do so on a whim.

For your next experiment, may I suggest using a syringe and purposefully introduce air into a cutting. That ought to blow the ridiculous bubble located over the shoulders of whoever came up with this myth!

Cheers :thumb:

Hey quemedica. Not sure how I missed this post of yours till now. But just spotted it after posting tonight. Thanks. First chance I get I will try that- blow air into some. Great idea. We will make them get an air bubble one way or another!

image31637.jpg

Ok - not much to report here, of course, after three days - but I'm tossing in a pic of the cuttings to show how they look now. Cloning this way I do not have to use a dome, mist, or (I think) water for the duration. I may sprinkle the top of the rockwool at some point if it gets too dry. We will see. Anyway- they're mostly looking happy. One of the cuttings (back right corner) from the Mama Thai looks sick so she's getting tossed out.the cutting was one of the ones taken the 'regular' way- but that MT plant was rescued from the garbage pile, so was pretty beat up to begin with.

CLONES

Was away for a bit. Here's how the rooting situation looked today when I got back, at 14 days. ( I didn't bother to include the picture of the tray full of cuttings because it looks more or less exactly the same as the other pictures I already showed you of it so you aren't missing anything much)

'Exposed' cuttings- here seven of them have roots out the bottom.

image32521.jpg

'Regular' cuttings- four have roots showing. Sorry- crappy pic. You'll have to trust me. I counted.

image32522.jpg

I went through tonight and planted the ones I want, and pulled the rest. It turned out that all except one (on the 'regular' side) had quite a lot of roots in the rockwool, they looked like they would have all been showing by tomorrow.
So- I don't see any difference between the cuttings which were laying around for a half hour or so, and the ones dunked immediately in water. Good enough for my purposes- :thumb: I'm going to assume that anti-air bubble practices aren't needed.
I never misted or watered after the first time.
Ok friends. Hopefully this helps someone- I know it helps me!

Wow! I have no idea how this "urban myth" air-bubble theory started. Did anyone ever think to ask a botanist? All plants (and especially cannabis) have turgor pressure to keep them rigid and upright. Break the stem and the liquid (nutrients, etc. - taste it - it's slightly sweet) will always flow out of the stem, not air into the stem. Air embolism? Really?

Back
Top Bottom