THC/CBD Decarboxylation for extractions

@ Soloma,

Have you succeeded in making your spagyric tincture? Also, look into the chemistry of spagyrics a little. There could be something going on with CBDA and THCA (organic acids in general) being neutralized by the basic salts contained in the ash. I have tried 2 methods of extracting under vacuum to ensure no decarb occurs

High Heat Extraction
1662934496472.png

Low Heat Extraction
1662934485216.png

You can really see how most of the other acids of other cannabinoids disappear with high heat, along with THC. In this case the CBD content was probably higher due to a hot extraction.

I am getting GC reports soon on the difference between a low temp extraction and a low temp spagyric. Spagyric preparation is definitely the way to go. Make sure you get a good burn and I would encourage you to purified your mineral salts and crystalize them.

@ Soloma,

Have you succeeded in making your spagyric tincture? Also, look into the chemistry of spagyrics a little. There could be something going on with CBDA and THCA (organic acids in general) being neutralized by the basic salts contained in the ash. I have tried 2 methods of extracting under vacuum to ensure no decarb occurs

High Heat Extraction
1662934454254.png

Low Heat Extraction
1662934469943.png

You can really see how most of the other acids of other cannabinoids disappear with high heat, along with THC. In this case the CBD content was probably higher due to a hot extraction.

I am getting GC reports soon on the difference between a low temp extraction and a low temp spagyric. Spagyric preparation is definitely the way to go. Make sure you get a good burn and I would encourage you to purified your mineral salts and crystalize them.

Hi, Warrensk, I live in Italy and THC is illegal. I do legal hemp CBD extractions by ethanol but I have a problem, I can not remove the THC in the final resin is concentrated up to 3% in maximum. I saw that you posted on the forum 's image of a HPLC where in your statement there' is THC or THCA and where you explain that it was made an 'extraction "HIGH HEAT". I do extractions with ethanol and unfortunately in the final resin I always the problem of THC that I would totally eliminate. I would be grateful if you could help me in this, because in Italy I can't extract THC or I can't have THC in final extract. Thanks a lot.

Hi Everyone,

I had this thought today...I have read so much about how to decarboxylate RSO and that the temp that it should be done at is around 240 to 250 degrees for 30 minutes... The problem i have seen in many post is the inconsistency in keeping that temp, but it can be done pretty easy as I see it...

What if you made your RSO like normal (whatever works for you) then take it and put it in a canning jar (top and lid of course) put that in your pressure cooker with a few inches of water and pressure cook it at 15 psi for 30 min...perfectly decarboxylate RSO

at 15 psi at 0 elevation the water boils at yes you guessed it 250.... at higher elevations you will need a slightly higher pressure adjust accordingly... What are your thoughts...another added benefit might be that the product will also be vacuumed sealed for longer storage....

I came across this post & wanted to message you but apparently I can't send a PM yet...Anyway-I am so grateful that I came across that article because I have had such a hard time figuring out how to make a CBD salve. Since THC is still illegal, I have to somehow remove it and I thought that I could do that with a certain temperature. I was wondering what you thought about this. I know it will be trial and error and I will have it tested at a lab to see the exact percentage. I saw that you did 250* for 51 minutes and were able to reduce the head high. Did you happen to have that tested?

Thank you so much for reading!

Best,

Jessica

Decarbing Frank's Gift Cannabis

I've been searching for a reliable way to decarboxylate medical cannabis for a while now, and there seems to be no consensus as to exactly how to do it. Different websites and forums all have a different take on the best temperature to use, how long to heat it, how to prepare it etc. My search finally led me to a British patent for a process of liquid CO2 extraction of resin from cannabis, in which they mentioned how they decarbed their samples and, most importantly, they documented the resulting lab analysis of 4 different amount of time and 3 different temperatures, and the differing results on THCa, THC, CBDa, CBD, and CBN. To me, this is a wealth of information. Here is a link to the patent:

Extraction of pharmaceutically active components from plant materials - GW Pharma Limited

The 3 temps are in Celsius and translate to Fahrenheit as follows: 105° C = 221° F, 120° C = 248° F, and 140° C = 284° F.

My takeaway from this long, very technical paper is the following 2 sentences:

Chemovar producing primarily CBD is 1 hour at 120° C. or 0.5 hour at 140° C.
Chemovar producing primarily THC to minimise CBN formation, is 1 to 2 hours at 105° C. or 1 hour at 120° C.

Translation: heat your cannabis in a 120° C (248° F) oven for an hour and you are good to go. Regardless of if your cannabis is high in THC or CBD this will work very well. So I did just that (sort of) and then had the cannabis analyzed at OG Analytical in Eugene, OR. Here is what I did, the lab analysis of cured Frank's Gift bud, and the decarbed Frank's Gift bud.

In the patent, they say it is preferable to dry the herb at a lower temp, then decarb it at a higher temp, but since I had put a pizza stone in the oven to try for a more even temp, I dried it and decarbed it at the same temp.

5/10/16 I started with 36 g total; removed 1.124 g for analytical lab testing. That left @35 g before removing stems, @ 34 g after removing .9 g of stems.

9:00 AM I put a 16" pizza stone (9.5 lbs./4.3 Kilograms) in the oven and preheated to 250° F. I used a Farberware oven probe (laying on the pizza stone) to get an accurate temperature. It showed that it took @ 90 minutes to get up to temp.

I was aiming for a temp of 250° F, but since my oven fluctuates about 20° F, I could not achieve this. After almost 3 hours of screwing around with the oven, turning the temperature dial up and down, trying to get it to a stable temp, I gave up, and settled on a setting of 245° F.

I broke up the buds into small pieces (it was very sticky), put it on an aluminum baking sheet, and put it in the oven at 11:45AM. I left it in the oven for 20 minutes to dry completely. It was not sticky at all after drying it. I crumbled up the buds in my hand (very easy) and wound up with mostly powdered bud.

I returned the baking sheet to the oven and waited until the oven probe said 250° F, which took about 15 minutes. I left it in the oven for another hour, removed it, let it cool down a little, and weighed it. It now weighed 28 g, so it lost about 6 g of moisture (17.6%). I took out 1.15 g for the lab. Here are the lab results:

Before Decarbing

THCa = 4.8%
Δ9-THC = 0.9%
CBDa = 9.9%
CBD = 0.6%
CBN = <0.1%

After Decarbing

THCa = <0.1%
Δ9-THC = 4.8%
CBDa = <0.1%
CBD = 9.1%
CBN = 0.2%

I am thrilled with the results – all of the THCa got converted to THC, all the CBDa got converted to CBD, and very little of the THC got degraded to CBN. Not too shabby.

Next time I wouldn't mess with the oven temp. I would just set it at 245° F and leave it alone.

If you look at Table 5 in the patent, you'll see that there is quite a bit of leeway in time before the THC starts to seriously degrade into CBN, so leaving it in the oven for 1-2 hours at 250° F would not degrade very much THC (4.1% after 1 hour and 6.7% after 2 hours).

Miscellaneous notes: Franks Gift organically grown outdoors, harvested on 10/4/15, dried in 50% humidity, 70° F temp for 5 days (stems snapped at that point), then placed in 2 quart canning jars with a 62% Boveda pack for curing. It has been in the jar for 7 months.

I hope this is helpful.

Jackson

Decarbing Frank's Gift Cannabis

I've been searching for a reliable way to decarboxylate medical cannabis for a while now, and there seems to be no consensus as to exactly how to do it. Different websites and forums all have a different take on the best temperature to use, how long to heat it, how to prepare it etc. My search finally led me to a British patent for a process of liquid CO2 extraction of resin from cannabis, in which they mentioned how they decarbed their samples and, most importantly, they documented the resulting lab analysis of 4 different amount of time and 3 different temperatures, and the differing results on THCa, THC, CBDa, CBD, and CBN. To me, this is a wealth of information. Here is a link to the patent:

Extraction of pharmaceutically active components from plant materials - GW Pharma Limited

The 3 temps are in Celsius and translate to Fahrenheit as follows: 105° C = 221° F, 120° C = 248° F, and 140° C = 284° F.

My takeaway from this long, very technical paper is the following 2 sentences:

Chemovar producing primarily CBD is 1 hour at 120° C. or 0.5 hour at 140° C.
Chemovar producing primarily THC to minimise CBN formation, is 1 to 2 hours at 105° C. or 1 hour at 120° C.

Translation: heat your cannabis in a 120° C (248° F) oven for an hour and you are good to go. Regardless of if your cannabis is high in THC or CBD this will work very well. So I did just that (sort of) and then had the cannabis analyzed at OG Analytical in Eugene, OR. Here is what I did, the lab analysis of cured Frank's Gift bud, and the decarbed Frank's Gift bud.

In the patent, they say it is preferable to dry the herb at a lower temp, then decarb it at a higher temp, but since I had put a pizza stone in the oven to try for a more even temp, I dried it and decarbed it at the same temp.

5/10/16 I started with 36 g total; removed 1.124 g for analytical lab testing. That left @35 g before removing stems, @ 34 g after removing .9 g of stems.

9:00 AM I put a 16" pizza stone (9.5 lbs./4.3 Kilograms) in the oven and preheated to 250° F. I used a Farberware oven probe (laying on the pizza stone) to get an accurate temperature. It showed that it took @ 90 minutes to get up to temp.

I was aiming for a temp of 250° F, but since my oven fluctuates about 20° F, I could not achieve this. After almost 3 hours of screwing around with the oven, turning the temperature dial up and down, trying to get it to a stable temp, I gave up, and settled on a setting of 245° F.

I broke up the buds into small pieces (it was very sticky), put it on an aluminum baking sheet, and put it in the oven at 11:45AM. I left it in the oven for 20 minutes to dry completely. It was not sticky at all after drying it. I crumbled up the buds in my hand (very easy) and wound up with mostly powdered bud.

I returned the baking sheet to the oven and waited until the oven probe said 250° F, which took about 15 minutes. I left it in the oven for another hour, removed it, let it cool down a little, and weighed it. It now weighed 28 g, so it lost about 6 g of moisture (17.6%). I took out 1.15 g for the lab. Here are the lab results:

Before Decarbing

THCa = 4.8%
Δ9-THC = 0.9%
CBDa = 9.9%
CBD = 0.6%
CBN = <0.1%

After Decarbing

THCa = <0.1%
Δ9-THC = 4.8%
CBDa = <0.1%
CBD = 9.1%
CBN = 0.2%

I am thrilled with the results – all of the THCa got converted to THC, all the CBDa got converted to CBD, and very little of the THC got degraded to CBN. Not too shabby.

Next time I wouldn't mess with the oven temp. I would just set it at 245° F and leave it alone.

If you look at Table 5 in the patent, you'll see that there is quite a bit of leeway in time before the THC starts to seriously degrade into CBN, so leaving it in the oven for 1-2 hours at 250° F would not degrade very much THC (4.1% after 1 hour and 6.7% after 2 hours).

Miscellaneous notes: Franks Gift organically grown outdoors, harvested on 10/4/15, dried in 50% humidity, 70° F temp for 5 days (stems snapped at that point), then placed in 2 quart canning jars with a 62% Boveda pack for curing. It has been in the jar for 7 months.

I hope this is helpful.

Jackson

Awesome post, now just need to figure how to heat oil. Induction heat stove water and stainless bowl should be fine even rice cooker with stainless bowl. Watch temp make sure not over 250f 30 mins.

Hi all,

As many others we are using RSO to help cure cancer.

We are also decarboxylating our weed. However from what we found reading various studies is that terpenes are an essential ingredient. Mainly Alpha Terpineol. More info: Alpha Terpineol: A Potential Anticancer Agent which Acts through Suppressing NF-κB Signalling

However we also found a study that goes into decarbing the weed and effects on terpenes

In short : preheating maximizes the THC but will degrade the Alpha Terpineol.

What we do is preheat 50% of the weed to maximize the THC levels and 50% we leave as it is to get the maximum levels of terpenes.

I would love to hear other opinions.

Thanks,

MO

Hello guys! I'm working for an E-cigarette company and we have just started making CBD products. However we don't have too much experience with CBD yet, we have bought 2 types of CBD. One is liquid CBD for edibles (we spray them on gummy candies to make CBD infused gummies) and the other one is isolates (crystals, white dust like powdered sugar).
I have several question, hopig you guys can help me.
First of all how to make the CBD liquid that we use for the gummies? It is liquid CBD on room temperature. We already know how to turn the CBD crystals into liquid (put a glass of crystals into nearly boiling water, make sure water does not get into the glass), but it will re-crystallize after it cools down to room temperature. Is the decarboxylation of the crystals the method I'm lookin for? What is decarbing good for? One more thing, we have taken the liquid to a lab to get it tested and it has a low THC content and it is 100% CBD, so there is no PG or MCT or anything else in it. That's what we would like to achieve because the vendor overprice it a lot.
Also, please if you guys know the process explain it to me like you would explain it to a child. It is very new to me and it is very expensive so I don't want to waste any of my bosses CBD.
So basically I just want to melt the crystals into liquid and somehow keep it in liquid form without any other ingredients and without re-crystallization on room temperature. Is there any way to do that? If there is, what equipments do I need to do it?

Wow, this thread is still alive after a couple of years, even more surprising so am I.

Over the years, more and more uses for the different cannabinoids have been found. For a long time it was all about the THC. Potheads were exstatic and anyone who suggested that perhaps some of the other cannabinoids were working in the background were branded as loons.

Along comes CBD and breaks through with much resistance.

Then talk about the "symbiotic" relationship of THC and CBD surfaced. A lot of THC with a bit of CBD makes the THC work better and vice versa with CBD.

Through contacts, people started smuggling in CBD oil from California. It worked great on me and was better than anything I had made myself so far. But I started thinking:

"If the dropper I was brought from Cali holds 15 ml and a ml of oil weighs aproximately 1.05 grams then we have aproximately 15 grams of oil; but its not pure. Most of it is olive oil, in fact the label says it has 20 mg of CBD and 5 mg of THC."

For those not up to date with the metric system, 1000 mg is equal to 1 gram. So 15 grams is 15000 mg. CBD content on that dropper is 0.0013% and the THC content is so low that my calculator gives me an error when I try to calculate THC content.

I don't disagree with charging to make oil for someone else who needs it. Charge 'em the market value of that amount of cannabis plus materials plus your time spent doing the extraction plus the cost of a six pack of beer but profiting greatly from the sick means you have really crappy (language edit) morals.

(continued)

Back to my symptoms; even with such a low content level I still felt something. No medication made any sort of variation on my symptoms; until I started taking oils and even this stuff at this ultra low percentage I'm feeling something.

High CBD strain hunting
Great idea but doesn't really work down here in Costa Rica. Posession legal but frowned upon and growing for medicinal purposes is legal legal according to the constitution and a few other laws but everyone including the police say its illegal.

So at a conference I meet this old 84 year old hippie. He's an agricultural engineer and has been making several types of cannabis oils. My dad is an organic chemist and I've been "geeking out" on extractions for years an using myself as a human guinea pig. I have no real money but I open my mind to him and I help improve many of his processes and for that I got all the oil that he makes free of charge.

I started taking the oil that he made; totally non psychoactive. I didn't even count the drops or measure the size. I just took a teaspoon of it and put it under my tongue. I took that amount once a day and after 7 days I could set the shower water temperature using my left hand. I had no hot/cold feeling 8 days prior. I could also feel the touch of my 2 year old's hands.

Someone with athritis showed up with a lot of pain and inflamation in their hands. They had taken CBD oil before and it had helped somewhat but they felt like they had to take a lot to feel any difference. We put 3 drops in each hand and rubbed it on, in 30 minutes the pain was gone, next day no pain less inflamation, next day no pain even less inflamation, next day no pain and no inflamation. In about 5 days she felt pain. 3 more drops on each hand and no pain or inflamation for 10 days. That was a while ago, she has her own oil now and I believe she uses 5 drops in each hand about once every month.

The oil is golden in color, with very slight earthy odor and taste and liquid like olive oil.

(continued)

So what is this magical strain and what canabinoid does it have?

Honestly I have no clue, neither does the old man that makes it.

All the chromatographers in country are gas. A gas chromatographer will evaporate the sample by heat therefore decarbing and destroying the sample. Liquid chromatopgraphers are pretty expensive. So no dice on the cannabinoid.

The old man started growing from seeds he got off the black market. He didn't buy the seeds, it came with the weed. I may not be a recreational user but the only type of weed I know that comes with sticks, leaves and seeds is crappy (language edit) brick weed.

By the time I tried it he was on generation # 25. Cross breeding plants based on how positive the reaction from patients were. A terrible method that doesn't take into account tolerance or sensitivity to outside stimulants but with no liquid chromatographers what are you gonna do.

So a below average strain with low percentages of everything. Since its black market stuff I would assume the most abundant cannabinoid is THCa.

So how does he make the oil? He put the seeds in a hydraulic press passes it through a metal strainer and thats it. No decarb at all.

The leaves and flowers are used to make high THC oil, that's were my expertise comes in and its only give to patients with nausea, appetite problems, insomnia. A few people that are suffering from "stress" have asked for the high THC oil. They get a resounding NO. We are dealing with cancer, MS, epilepsy, etc. If you're stressed go have some sex.

The old man does something that is considered a no no for growers. He doesn't kill males, in fact he has about a 50% male population.

More males produce more seeds and less bud but he needs more seeds so ...

A while ago I helped a family get CBD for a girl with epilepsy. It worked great but she had to take daily high doses to keep it under control.

Fast forward a few years and we have another case of a girl with epilepsy, again I help her get the oil but this time its this oil this old guy supplies. 1 ml a day and no seizures so its as good as this other one.

So I ask the old man, isn't 1 ml a day not very sustainable, I mean that's a lot of oil for life. He says oh no, its not for life, its just for 3 months. So I'm like "but they have epilepsy". After 3 months they take a daily tablespoon of food grade hemp oil with their food.

I told him he was full of something, he told me that was his 5th epilepsy case.

He has one patient with ALS (what Stephen Hawkins has) who is improving from a neuro-degenerative disease with no cure.

In my case it helps me, gives me better quality of life; less days in bed feeling like crap.

Potentially a higher THC strain with no decarb and pressed seeds might be better.

THCa > THC and CBDa > CBD

Why THCa over THC, 60 reasons ...

If THCa is so much better than THC and CBD is CBDa better than THCa?
Or is there another canabinoid behind THCa doing the magic?

Cannabigerolic Acid or CBGa is responsible for the creation of THCa but not through heat.
Geranyl pyrophophate plus olivetolic acid creates CBGa, is it that?

Just don't ask the people so sure of themselves that they think they own the truth.

In case you question my chemistry; dad's the chemist here. I'm just a 40 year old ex-commercial pilot with a lot of free time and basic video editing skills.

This is from an SC Labs video:

If you wish to watch the whole thing its here:

As I have COPD and can't smoke, I've been happily decarboxylating for years: Oven set at 220 degrees F - large pot of water or large pizza stone in oven - to stop temperatures from bouncing around .. I've tried to keep the pot as close to 240 as I can - when the temp falls - I increase the oven temp (say 275 till the thermometer goes up one degree - then back to 220 degrees), if the temp is too high - I open the oven door and use a newspaper to move the air in the oven till the temp goes down one degree -- then door closed! I've tried many other processes, but this is my go to! The "sweet spot" - I'm looking for is 240 (246 too high, and 234 too low) for 45 minutes. I've had good luck with this method. If you don't have a pizza stone - a soup pot full of water will suffice!

Back
Top Bottom