The 4x4 Grow Tent Club

That's a very civilized response, TS. I, however, was raised by cave-dwelling Neanderthals and would have responded perhaps a bit more succinctly

I've got to remember to swallow the mouthful of coffee before reading a new post. LMFAO (literally, in this case ;) ).

I actually edited my post a little bit before submitting it. I've slowly come to the conclusion that I'm a bit of an @sshole, and that when I don't consciously try to hide the fact, it sometimes "shines" through.

Thanks for the laugh, BtW. I can always use one. Ironically, I was raised by a set of modern (by 19th century standards, at least) homo sapiens - and, therefore, cannot explain how I sort of grew up to be... a cave-dwelling Neanderthal. Although I'm managing to live in a house (for now).

I've got to remember to swallow the mouthful of coffee before reading a new post. LMFAO (literally, in this case ;) ).

I actually edited my post a little bit before submitting it. I've slowly come to the conclusion that I'm a bit of an @sshole, and that when I don't consciously try to hide the fact, it sometimes "shines" through.

Thanks for the laugh, BtW. I can always use one. Ironically, I was raised by a set of modern (by 19th century standards, at least) homo sapiens - and, therefore, cannot explain how I sort of grew up to be... a cave-dwelling Neanderthal. Although I'm managing to live in a house (for now).
Oh ts stop it. Ur a big teddy bear.

Alright well I wanted to wait until the lights turned off to snap a picture... The Pink photo is the reason I was tripping but after taking the second one without the lights it may just be an optical illusion or something. There just seems to be a large contrast in color all of a sudden... If you need better pics lmk!

That's just new growth. :thumb:

That's just new growth. :thumb:

Sweet glad its not cause for concern. However, I have been noticing an increased number of leaves starting to discolor at the tips, and this is forsure not an optical illusion lol.... I don't believe its heat stress or light shock as its only a few leaves so far and they are in different places in the canopy. Any ideas?

I caught my sisters cat nibbling on some of the lower leaves of a different plant so maybe he introduced a bug into the tent or something. I want to spray the plants down with some diluted hydrogen-peroxide (3%) to disinfect before the buds start coming in. Whats the best technique for using peroxide?

Day_5_1_3.jpg
Day_5_2_3.jpg

I'm hoping to run 3 4x4 tents. With 315cmh in each using 3x3 with 4 plants in 3 gallon coco coir smart pots. In a veg tent and flower tent and third tent mother and clones. Hope to harvest 12oz every 8 weeks.

I got 4x4 gorilla grow shorty and it fuking great but you have to have money is almost 5

I bought the GGT lite and it is ok, lots of light leaks but it is in a closet so plenty dark. The reflective coating in the inside is peeling, but the zippers are great.
Just my 2 cents worth.

GR

So since I've switched to flower and turned on the bloom switch on the LED panel and the two 150watt HPS lights the temps have been 82-86. If i leave the tent zipped up for more than a couple hours temps can rise above 86. I have a tower fan oscillating and a 190cfm fan pulling through a carbon filter, ducted out of the tent to my window....however this doesn't seem to be enough. I have to unzip the main door flap and one of the side flaps to get temps down to 82.

My question is how do you guys manage to keep temps low without using AC? I live in Southern California near the coast so it never really gets that hot out but yet my tent is always above 80 degrees. Would a higher cfm exhaust fan be the answer? Maybe add another big 22" fan to increase air circulation? Any suggestions would be great, I'm trying to keep the tent cool without breaking the bank using my house AC. I don't have room for a portable AC unit either =/

What are your temps like outside your tent where the air is being drawn in from? A larger fan would surely help, but if the temps outside the tent aren't that much cooler that makes a difference

Check out this video from another thread, very very cool and innovating if it works
You could try to make an air conditioner from a brick! :)

[video=youtube;8Pt73uCYc50]
[/video]

Hey Gimik I fight with the same issues. sounds like you have a 4" duct fan? A 6" would evacuate more air but make sure to give yourself at least one 6" inlet duct as well. As a quick test pull the carbon filter off and see what that does. They are pretty restrictive. If it does help then a cheap 100cfm booster inline fan could make up the difference of the filter. If the air outside your tent is much cooler and the RH ok then pumping that into the tent with a fan may help too. In mine I ended up rigging a window ac unit in the end.

Good luck!

So since I've switched to flower and turned on the bloom switch on the LED panel and the two 150watt HPS lights the temps have been 82-86. If i leave the tent zipped up for more than a couple hours temps can rise above 86. I have a tower fan oscillating and a 190cfm fan pulling through a carbon filter, ducted out of the tent to my window....however this doesn't seem to be enough. I have to unzip the main door flap and one of the side flaps to get temps down to 82.

My question is how do you guys manage to keep temps low without using AC? I live in Southern California near the coast so it never really gets that hot out but yet my tent is always above 80 degrees. Would a higher cfm exhaust fan be the answer? Maybe add another big 22" fan to increase air circulation? Any suggestions would be great, I'm trying to keep the tent cool without breaking the bank using my house AC. I don't have room for a portable AC unit either =/

Do you have meshed bottom vents? If so, you can pretty much leave them open all the time.

Also run your 12 hours of light to coincide with nighttime when the temps are naturally lower.

Do you have meshed bottom vents? If so, you can pretty much leave them open all the time.

Also run your 12 hours of light to coincide with nighttime when the temps are naturally lower.
That's what I do with my mesh flap. It's a smaller tent so I use that to my advantage and don't bother with a intake fan. The mesh flap works fine. Not sure if that would work the same on a 4x4.

Again, moving those two HPS ballasts out of your grow room will be moving a heater out.

In a confined space like that - and one in which you're trying to remove heat from both the lighting and the general grow space as one "unit" - I'd aim to exchange 3X the total volume per minute. In other words, if your tent is 4'x4'x7', that's 112 cubic feet. 3X that is 336 ft.³. Manage that degree of air exchange (and remember that a carbon filter will kill the rated airflow of many cheap fans), and you should be more than fine. AND... At that point, if you are fine, you can pick up a fan controller and play around with reducing your fan's speed during the hottest part of your "day" to see if you can reduce the airflow without the temperature climbing too high for (your plants') comfort.

I'd try that with all three(?) passive intake vents wide open at the bottom of your tent and the door closed. Unless it completely "sucks in" your tent at the new - adequate - amount of airflow, that's how I'd run it.

I bought the GGT lite and it is ok, lots of light leaks but it is in a closet so plenty dark. The reflective coating in the inside is peeling, but the zippers are great.

So it isn't lightproof and the inner wall material is junk... Does Gorilla Grow Tent call that their Chump I mean Chimp line, lol?

Again, moving those two HPS ballasts out of your grow room will be moving a heater out.

In a confined space like that - and one in which you're trying to remove heat from both the lighting and the general grow space as one "unit" - I'd aim to exchange 3X the total volume per minute. In other words, if your tent is 4'x4'x7', that's 112 cubic feet. 3X that is 336 ft.³. Manage that degree of air exchange (and remember that a carbon filter will kill the rated airflow of many cheap fans), and you should be more than fine. AND... At that point, if you are fine, you can pick up a fan controller and play around with reducing your fan's speed during the hottest part of your "day" to see if you can reduce the airflow without the temperature climbing too high for (your plants') comfort.

I'd try that with all three(?) passive intake vents wide open at the bottom of your tent and the door closed. Unless it completely "sucks in" your tent at the new - adequate - amount of airflow, that's how I'd run it.

I remember what you said about moving the ballast's out of the tent, however I'm not very savy when it comes to tinkering with equipment and I don't want to end up in a situation where i mess up the lights and can't use them during flower. Currently with my 190cfm fan (and not counting the resistance the carbon filter adds) I'm recycling the total volume of air just about 2x a minute, so its surely less with the carbon filter. I'll probably try getting a bigger exhaust fan/carbon filter see if that helps.

GodOfPot said:
What are your temps like outside your tent where the air is being drawn in from? A larger fan would surely help, but if the temps outside the tent aren't that much cooler that makes a difference

Since I've switched to flower the outside temps have been 73-82 degrees however my room would probably be slightly warming since I have carpet and use my computer often.

gr865 said:
What is the size of your tent, I do not believe you are pulling enough air thru the tent.

My tent is 4x4x6.5 apollo tent.

Calvados said:

Yeah I have all 3 of my bottom meshes open. I also run my lights at night (8pm-8am).

Hey Gimik I fight with the same issues. sounds like you have a 4" duct fan? A 6" would evacuate more air but make sure to give yourself at least one 6" inlet duct as well.

What do you mean when you say leave myself a 6" inlet duct. Like add a 6in" intake fan? or just open up the vents and ducting sleeves for extra airflow?

Back
Top Bottom