The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding In Little Space

I just asked a guy at a hydro store if he knows anyone doing it for seeds and he didn't. I will try my russky friend from Colorado - see if he could get some over there - that would be a great excuse to get out there skiing!

If I grew it just for myself, I would grow G-13 just to check if it stands to the hype (not sure if that has any truth to it, but supposedly it is good for ADHD which I have). When I was researching it, I expected it to be speedy and sativa-dominant, but when I looked at the ancestors - both dominant indicas - I got somewhat skeptical about the whole notion that it would somehow help with the symptoms. I might consider a cross of G-13 with something like S.L.H. or W.W. or NL#5 just to try it out.

when I first started growing in soil, I had an unknown clone I named Barbara Bush, because of how the mom looked like (bonsai tree) , and also because it was pretty strong and resilient, and you must have a lot of balls as a woman to raise and now deal with two former presidents... And she (clone) had some balls for sure (not the pollen sacks balls, not those!).

In addition to cloning off the clone. I also bought 5 beans of Red Dragon, one of Kannabia Afrodita and one freebie - Reserva Privada Kandy Kush.

Red dragon moms were all fluffy and pathetic, they also hermied on the bottom (when I was in the hospital two x-mases back. and had lights on for 178 hours, because nobody was home). Nugs were fluffy and lightweight. Afrodita was a flop too - it was very inferior and had weak genetics.
The last one to germinate - Kandy Kush - in the end turned out to be so sparkly -two-hitter wonder - it blew all other strains out of the water
The close second was Barbara Bush, but Kush was and continues to be a real two-hitter strain.

I will probably end up buying one of the well known brand names - Purple Kush, Blue Dream, Sour Diesel, Pineapple Express, Cheese, AK47, WW, GDP or Cronic, Lucy, BBH - or their crosses with G-13 at Herbies, who currently give away Sleestack Skunk as freebies.
Which one out of these strains would perform best in SOG in your opinion/ from your experience?

I was thinking about going into breeding, but have way over my head with unfinished projects right now...
P.S.: If I named a strain, I would call it as a celebrity figure associated with the high - Charley Sheen, Jacky Chan, Forrest Gump, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Goofy, Tigger, something like that :) I wonder if I had to licence that name if I did :)

And yeah, I spent the whole day today getting to 40th page of 420fied's journal (16 more pages to go), but thanks for advice :)

I have many friends who only tasted good indicas, but never good sativas. So even when they get to sample some - they miss the sedative indica high, and if I ever dominant sativa as potent in CBD as Kush strains - and it would be a two- or even one-hitter wonder - only then I would consider ditching the KK, otherwise- probably not.

Is it just me or do most Indicas intolerate cold temps (64F -70F)? KK certainly doesn't. I had jungle during summertime, but shunted in the winter in a similar way as the first aero test crop I started in a garage in April. They matured, but there was very little. pulled from the garage test.

Chapter 13

When inbreeding using the bonsai sultan method one simple rule, generally, is not to go past the F3 generation. Generally if you follow this rule you shouldn't have too many problems with weakening strains due to inbreeding. Generally you will create many lines, so as long as you keep track of your genealogy, you will have many combinations to choose from, when line breeding.

Generally in the Bonsai Sultan Method you are going for Heterogeneity, not homogeneity. This is because generally, when you are propagating with herb you are using clones. So in the Bonsai Sultan Method you want a very wide variety of expression within your gene pool so that you can select that one mother that is perfect. By cloning her you will get the perfect homogeneity that you are looking for. In my experience, plants with diverse genetic backgrounds, tend to make very stable clones, much more stable than plants which are inbred.
Joe started with just 4 different strains, 2 clones and 2 seed stock varieties. The clones were: The NL5HZ, and the Giant Indica. His seed stock strains were: The Paonia Kind (or Kine), and the Humboldt County Deathbud. Now the genes within these strains are extremely diverse.

NL5HZ- is most likely Afghani with a hint of Thai on one side, and a pure sativa hybrid -Thai, Columbian, Oaxacan, Indian on the other.

Giant Indica- Unknown, but phenotyopically it is an Indica dominant sativa indica hybrid.

Humboldt County Death- This is a classic old school variety scored from a classic Humboldt bushman. It has the best of old school genetics, most likely an Afghan Hawaiian hybrid, acclimatized to Northern California, for many generations.

Paonia Kind (Kine)- phenotyopically its form is pure indica, but the flavor and nature of the bud tells a different story, it has short compact plants that appear 100% indica, however the buds are fruity, dense, and covered in long exotic red hairs.

For now, with this kind of genetic Diversity, Joe finds that his strains are very phenotyopically diverse. Even within the same seed stock, no two plants are the same. The one thing they all seem to have in common: they are all very exotic and stony and each one is definitely its own unique connoisseur level smoke.
This does not bother Joe in the least because Joe grows his main crop from clones, so when he finds that super plant, he simply makes it into a mother, and then he has the perfect homogeneity that he needs for his indoor setup.

Chapter 14

Stabilizing strains, or going for Homogeneity is generally referred to as creating a “pure breed” or true breeding strain, and it is a very difficult thing to do properly. It can be done but it is beyond the scope of this write-up. These are advanced breeding techniques. If you master the Bonsai Sultan Method, you may eventually want to study and learn how to do this. However, the Bonsai Sultan Method is a simple and easy way for beginners to vastly improve and custom modify the strains they are working with. And in terms of propagation for the average grower, it is actually more desirous to have a heterogeneous sample to work from, this is because the average grower uses clones, and only uses seeds to select a mother plant from.

The average cultivator is primarily concerned with growing all female seedless harvest, and the Bonsai Sultan Method represents a simple way for the average grower to breed without jeopardizing his seedless harvest. Not only will you be able to preserve your strains, in the form of seeds and vastly improve the strains that you are working with, but you will also guarantee the independence of your setup. You will be able to stop cultivating for years at a time without jeopardizing the safety of your strains, because they will be stored safely and compactly, in the form of seed.

Right now the current status of cultivation of this wonderful plant is in a legal gray area and it is difficult to say if the current trend of tolerance will last.

There are significant powers right now in both the government and the private sector that are organizing huge resources, in an effort to control and regulate this wonderful plant. We all need to work together as a community to safeguard what we have. I believe one way to do this, is for everyone who is growing to also breed, and for the beginner, and the non breeder, this method, represents a simple, viable and very effective way to do this. If every medical grower, who purchases these seeds from the Holland seed banks, learns how to breed on his own using this simple method, then the powers that be, whether government, pharmaceutical or other big business interests will never be able to deprive us of what is naturally ours.

By increasing the amount of breeders in the world, we will also be increasing the gene pool of the plant. Then seed banks like MNS, can become like the hub of a sort of co-op, where local breeders, when they come up with superior strains, through forums like this one can share these strains with the community, and send these strains back to the seed banks (especially MNS) where they can be further improved and perfected by experts. It appears to me that this is already going on right here at MNS, and it is this forum, which has inspired me to disclose this simple method.

Now is the time. We are blessed to have Neville in our midst, he basically bred all the strains on which the Holland scene was founded, and it seems, MNS represents a new movement of the original masters. We must seize this moment while we have the opportunity. We do not know how long this window will remain open. By working together, and breeding, we can secure the future of this venerable plant for ourselves and those around us.

END

Thank You,
Sincerely,
Joshua Hazen
Thanks Mr Krip. Very nice tutorial.

Just found this Thread, thank you for posting;

Question for you; Have you ever or better yet, is it even possible to reveg a male pheno? for the purpose of keeping it for later pollen use.

Secondly; can one STS or self pollinate a Male? would the pollen be of absolute female decent ?

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom