The finer details of trimming and sorting the harvest?

AKgramma

Having just cut and trimmed a bunch of really sticky buds and sugar leaves, I have a few questions:

1) How small should a popcorn bud be to be considered only for the shake bin?

2) What is the difference between shake and what one trims off the buds (like sugar leaves)?

3) What is the best way to recover the trics from the scissors and your fingertips? Scraping just isn't getting all the scissor/finger hash. They are still quite sticky.

4) Should I cure the shake/trim that has obvious trics?

5) Is there any benefit to curing leaves and/or stems before using them in teas or tinctures?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ok, this will be a little incomplete. But others can come along and add to it hopefully.

1- I don't trim by size, just by quality. I often save very small but good buds. I'll often consign entire plants full of large buds to the trim bin for various reasons. Sucks but I'm also usually happy to have that much less work at the time. :)

2-if you mean the terminology, I don't know, but I save most everything that is quite sugary and chuck the rest.

3-this is the one I'm the most curious about and I hope I learn something from the other people. I wear gloves and when the resin gets thick enough it starts to all peel off. Putting your gloves and scissors and whatnot in the freezer makes everything brittle and this can be helpful in recovery. If you have access to strong ethyl alcohol this could be useful in dissolving the resin off.

4-I save the trim until I have a worthwhile amount and I get around to it, then I make hash and I cure the hash.

5- probably yes. I don't know about tea, but when I make alcohol fruit infusions they seem to benefit from a bit of aging - and if it's flavor you are wanting, what goes in comes out. So probably a cure both before and after for an alcohol tincture- if you are being a connessieur.

Having just cut and trimmed a bunch of really sticky buds and sugar leaves, I have a few questions:

1) How small should a popcorn bud be to be considered only for the shake bin?

Depends on what you want. I like making kief and oil so anything smaller than a dime goes in the sugar pile. With my arthritic hands I've grown to hate trimming.

2) What is the difference between shake and what one trims off the buds (like sugar leaves)?

Big fans or leaves with no sugar go to the chickens fresh or into a paper bag to dry and get burned with the dried stalks and stems.

3) What is the best way to recover the trics from the scissors and your fingertips? Scraping just isn't getting all the scissor/finger hash. They are still quite sticky.

Coconut oil is the best! I trim with bare hands holding the buds by the stem so as not to get all that great resin on my hands. Wash hands well then when dry rub just a little coconut oil on the fingers so you hardly get any resin on them. I take a nice rectangle of paper towel about 3" x 1", fold twice to make a little pad and put a little bit of coco oil in the middle and work it in. Wipe the very clean blades of my Fiskars before starting to leave a very thin film of the oil on them. When they start getting gummed up I use my little Swiss army knife blade to scrape all the gum off then wipe clean with the pad. Snip and repeat as required. I used to use hemp oil but coco oil works way better. fresh scissor hash is the bomb!

4) Should I cure the shake/trim that has obvious trics?

I do a very slow dry then cure for my buds but don't smoke the sugar trim so let it dry in a paper bag with minimal handling so the glands stay whole for dry sifting later. Don't fill the bag up but when laid on it's side an inch or so should cover the surface. Scrunch the top of the bag closed and lay it on a screen or something so the side where the trim is laying on can breathe. Just flip it over a day later then once again the next day and that should do it. If you're planning to use bubble bags to make hash then freeze it fresh and use it ASAP to get the best yields in your bags.

5) Is there any benefit to curing leaves and/or stems before using them in teas or tinctures?

IMHO, No

Any ideas would be appreciated.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom