Thrips and Aphids?

Done.

It only took a few minutes to cover from top to bottom, including pulling the stems apart and spraying from top to bottom. I can't be sure this will kill them all but, at the very least, it will kill some of them and give the plants enough time to mature completely.

How did this happen? A couple of things that come to mind - one of the articles that I read about thrip infestations said that they were very common in the month of July. Sounds like a heat thing. We've had really cool weather this year and it wasn't until early July that the temps started hitting the average temp (83°). The other may have been self-inflicted. Last night, I remembered that, earlier this month, I opened the back door to cool off the garage. Temps usually drop into the 60's at night so one evening, I opened the back door for an hour or so to bring down the garage temp. Heh - free airconditioning, right? Dunno if that's when they made their move but I won't be doing that again.

Only other issue to deal with is that my pH is dropping, albeit slowly. I'm following the WonderChart and adding RO water to get thePPM down but I'm wondering if I'm pissing up the proverbial rope. There's only a couple weeks to go so I "might could" just go with the flow and add a few CC's of Up instead of trying to find the PPM sweet spot. That could tarnish my standing in the "Helicopter Plant Daddy" standings but that does play right into the "Better living through modern chemistry" mantra. Decisions, decisions, eh?

Right now, Imma test some of the harvest from Joe and get ready to grill some very thick New York strip steaks chased down with a Zin-heavy red blend.

Dinner was great but my bug killing came up short. I checked a couple of leaves earlier today and found aphids//larval thrips on one of the three leaves that I checked. There were a few dead beasties and I've can assume that if I sampled leaves at random then there's a likelihood those results are representative of the plants as a whole. From that perspective, some progress was made but, overall, it's a tough nut to crack at this stage of the grow.

My thinking is to take my victory as I can. I didn't eliminate them but I probably reduce the overall level of infestation. Given that Safer's is innocuous, I'll follow the directions about re-applying and ride it out from there.

The good news is I scored a ChilLED X3 for a really good price and am looking forward to starting a new grow in a couple of months.

Grumble, grumble, little bastards, grumble, grumble.

Back
Top Bottom