Thrips Oh No Panicked Now!

Morda Grown

So, I was in the garden checking plants for flower and was feeling good. Saw one plant now showing pistols Whoot... Then went to one other thought I saw some nuts so, I took a snip of one of the tops to look under my scope. That is when I saw the horror... THRIPS, OH NO! You can not see them with the naked eye and saw no thrip damage in the plant. It wasn't until I put it under the scope that I saw them. Now I'm panicked. :eek:

thrips01.jpg

thrips02.jpg

thrips03.jpg

thrips06.jpg

I'm not showing pics of the nuts I did see so this plant is as good as Bagged, Tagged, and Burnt. Now I have to check every plant in that area and ones I have out in other places. A guy just can't get a break this year. :(

Just checked (White Paper Test) all the plants in the raised garden bed where these are and ALL of them are infested. I guess now I have to decide if I'm going to try and treat them Or just cut my losses and cut and burn all of them in that bed, including the tomato plants. I will have to treat the soil so it is not an issue next year. So far the plants that are near the raised beds are clear of trips.

I'm looking at what I have on hand to treat this. I have Diatomaceous earth, Green Cleaner (Like Neem Oil) or I could make a home solution. There is no place that sells Neem oil in my area so that is off the table. I do not feel I have time to order it and wait for delivery. I will add non of the plants are in flower atm so now is the time to hit this.

Do any of you have a recipe for insecticidal soaps that you can share?

I had a small outbreak of thrips one time and I caught it early but I’m pretty sure it’s not the kiss of death like hemp russet mites where you’ve gotta torch everything.

check your pms….

Can't find the PM's.... :/ Is that the email icon next to the bell?

Yeap it is the email icon message popped up while I was reloading the page. :)

@bobrown14, I see you have recommended wet-able sulfer and Spinosad spray for Thrips, Would you recomend one over the other or both. There is no Neem cake or oil in my area. So, that will not work for my situation quickly. Any advice would be Welcomed and Thank you @013 for the advice!

After doing some research into this and @013, I have lost my panic and set into solve mode. The plant may be male but this will give me experience in dealing this. So for now, I will not take it out unless it close to pollen time. I'm going to look for some Wet-able Sulfur and Spinosad. If I can find both I will use the wetable sulfur on the soil and the Spinosad as a foliage spray. I did do the white paper test on the rest of my plants and they are all clean but 1. The one plant that did show them is already isolated and had fugal issues. After one treatment it will get pulled and burned. Just don't want to spread them. I will, more than likely, treat all the plants at least once with the Spinosad just for precaution sake.

I will post the results in this thread.

I was able to find some Spinosad "Bonide's Captain Jacks"

CaptainJacks.jpg

Went to 2 towns near us to find that. Not 1 bag of wettable sulfur anywhere. :rolleyes: That's ok, I used the extra cash to grab some better flowering nutes than what I had on hand. :D

Got a gal of Bloom Blaster
BloomBlaster-128x300.png

Loaded my mags and went on a Thrip hunt... Shot all the plants and soil... Take that you nasty little buggers! :rofl:

The bug hunt was a success, not 1 Thrip on any plant after 1 application, I'll do it again in about 4 days as that is what the gestation period is for Thrips.

In more ways than one, Culled 2 males out that bed today. (The two biggest ones :rolleyes: ) Good news is I have 6 confirmed Females. :nerd-with-glasses:

I'm good with it, 3 males went to heaven today. :rofl: We can have 12 plants and with using beans from last years grow, it is expected. Having 6 females close to or over 6' is a win in my book.

Back
Top Bottom