Toes' Juicy Fruit Hybrid Hand-Me-Down 2010

I went to the, not-so-local, local hydroponics world and purchased 3, 8 quart backs of Perlite. They were $1 cheaper than the local nursery, and since I was in that neck of the WOODS. I also picked up a 3 way soil meter. The owners of the store are super friendly and knowledgeable, they have a sudo-head shop attached to the side of the building. Complete with a galleria of glass. I thought to myself "how convenient". :roorrip:

When I got home that night I mixed my soil in a 5 cubic foot wheel barrow. 1 1/2 bags of perlite, one bag of compost, about the same amount of worm dirt. Then, I checked the pH. after a minute the needle was fluctuating between 4.5 and 5.5. I figured I would need an up, good thing I had just made a bon fire on the farm and had plenty of oak ashes. Threw them into the mix. (I started the fire specifically for the ashes, to supplement my K issue that PapaGreen had pointed out to me). Also, about two dozen finely ground egg shells. I mixed 3 different samples and each one acclimated to 6.5 to 6.8 :yahoo:

I was real anxious to transplant these babies into a better soil. Originally I placed the bean sprouts in just solid compost way before I :reading420magazine: knew that doing so was a bad idea. The youngsters were showing deficiency signs. Yellowing / browning / necro-tips on the first set of not-so-true, true leaves (you know, the ones w/o the fingers). Since I read somewhere this is a sign that the little ones were pulling the needed nutrients out of those leaves to supplement the new growth, which was green and healthy, I knew I needed a better, richer medium. Also, to combat the heat. The larger pots stay cooler in the center at the root, than the small 4" containers I previously had them in.

I did all this Sun 7/11 in the cool of the evening. I watered well and took off the next day. Had to visit some peeps. I just got back last night. I figured I would either come home to 6 dead plants or the yellowing and necrosis would just be worse. To my surprise this morning ALL of the yellowing has turned back to green, only the necro tips remain, as a reminder of my ignorance.

The young plants look very happy in their new homes. I will post some pictures when there is moar to look at. ;)

Hey there Toes, I was cruising the journals and ran by yours caught up on it as well. Thats one hell of a friend to give you the beans. I saw you were kinda iffy on the Ph situation, so heres a chart that will help give a better understanding of what is going on when your ph is either to high or to low. It has both soil and hydro on the chart. Hope it helps out. :goodluck:

Nutrient_Chart.jpg

Hey there Toes, I was cruising the journals and ran by yours caught up on it as well. Thats one hell of a friend to give you the beans. I saw you were kinda iffy on the Ph situation, so heres a chart that will help give a better understanding of what is going on when your ph is either to high or to low. It has both soil and hydro on the chart. Hope it helps out. :goodluck:

Howzit Butcher.

Nice info. Thanks.

Appreciate the help. I don't what's going on now, today I checked the lil ones, the NEW growth is burnt brown. I am using chicken poop ( I think it's called chicky poo ) organic nutes, brewed at 1 cup to 5 gallons water, so I don't think it's nute burn. I will just wait and see.

I wonder if it's too early to re transplant into a more balanced medium?

N E ways thanks for the ray of sunshine.

EZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You sure it's not nute burn Toes? It sounds exactly like what happened to my plants... they start turning yellow from the bottom up and then the leaves start dying. Small plants like that probably are extremely sensitive to nutes. You might think about quickly flushing them, 5 gals of water for each gal of soil. Most here say don't feed seedlings at all for a couple of weeks, just water.

You sure it's not nute burn Toes? It sounds exactly like what happened to my plants... they start turning yellow from the bottom up and then the leaves start dying. Small plants like that probably are extremely sensitive to nutes. You might think about quickly flushing them, 5 gals of water for each gal of soil. Most here say don't feed seedlings at all for a couple of weeks, just water.

not sure, however, I have a new plan. I been talking to the family expert, she says I can re transplant now. I'm going to give it a try. get them into a more stable environment, this mix I made is measuring at a 5.0 on the Richter scale. The "worm dirt" I've used is like pure clay! I'm over it.

i have some peat humus and the compost ind perlite and play sand should do the trick.

Thanks for your input. I will hold off on feeding for another week or so.

EZ BlueDog ...~;^)

It's not working :rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip:

I cannot successfully achieve a 6.5 pH with the mixes I have. WAY too acidic.

You would think I could finger it out, I mean, all the green thumbs round here someone would think my family owns a nursery :hmmmm:

I feel a trip iis in order for some top qualiteh pot soil.

Thanks a whole heap fellers for the support and top notch advise :thanks:

I may have a good start on next season's soil... maybeh... if I add some dolomite BOH!!

:reading420magazine: why cant you use some organic chemical in the soil to get what you need:popcorn:

scaredeecat's in the house...BOOM!

Do you mean like pH up or summat like that? Would a chemical have any lasting effects?

That's how my problem with the brown tips started, or maybe when, I put some sodium bicarbonate in the soil after freaking out when the meter was stuck on 5.0 in every single container. Let this be a lesson kiddos... ( by kiddos I really mean Toes!)

I really don't know. However, I'm to far involved now to call it a rain delay. Going to teh nursery this morning to get the real stuff.

you guys are right when you say my boy is "real good friend" who gave me these beans, I would really hate to let him down, especially when his are growing strohng.

be easy SC

scaredeecat's in the house...BOOM!

Do you mean like pH up or summat like that? Would a chemical have any lasting effects?

That's how my problem with the brown tips started, or maybe when, I put some sodium bicarbonate in the soil after freaking out when the meter was stuck on 5.0 in every single container. Let this be a lesson kiddos... ( by kiddos I really mean Toes!)

I really don't know. However, I'm to far involved now to call it a rain delay. Going to teh nursery this morning to get the real stuff.

you guys are right when you say my boy is "real good friend" who gave me these beans, I would really hate to let him down, especially when his are growing strohng.

be easy SC

yes ph up or down what ever is needed or you could go get ph correct soil and transplant

It is a sad day. All 6 of my young plants have succumbed to the heat and in two cases ganja eating insects. With all of my pH issues, and the 110* + heat I just couldn't do enough for them, or perhaps I did too much.

This is the end of my journal, however I will continue in the forums, lurking and learning, in hopes that one day I will pick up the pieces and resume. I am truly disappointed in myself. When i phoned my friend and told him the news, he said not to feel so bad as he had also been overcome by the heat and/or insects.

All in all and not for nothing it is probably for the best since MJ cultivation of any kind is highly illegal in my home state.

Thanks for all of the support. I won't be a stranger.

One love

Sorry to hear the news Toes, that sucks. I'm fighting heat and bugs too but my worst days here don't hit 100.... that's rough. Glad you'll still be hanging around though!

Sorry to hear the news Toes, that sucks. I'm fighting heat and bugs too but my worst days here don't hit 100.... that's rough. Glad you'll still be hanging around though!

BlueDog, your ladies are looking nice and healthy. I bet Amber is going to be a top notch smoke. Thanks for your support.

It is a sad day. All 6 of my young plants have succumbed to the heat and in two cases ganja eating insects. With all of my pH issues, and the 110* + heat I just couldn't do enough for them, or perhaps I did too much.

This is the end of my journal, however I will continue in the forums, lurking and learning, in hopes that one day I will pick up the pieces and resume. I am truly disappointed in myself. When i phoned my friend and told him the news, he said not to feel so bad as he had also been overcome by the heat and/or insects.

All in all and not for nothing it is probably for the best since MJ cultivation of any kind is highly illegal in my home state.

One love

we learn from our mistakes and we must continue on

Thanks SC, going to be a hot minute before I start over. Maybe if I move to Vermont. Next time I'm a do it right fosho.

it against the law in my state also. maybe you could do it in a closet with cfls in bubbles or soil, that way you could control heat and bugs, don't give up if i can do it so can you bro

One love

You tried your best man.... I guess all I can say at this point is ... get yourself an Armoire! hee hee :)

one love !

it against the law in my state also. maybe you could do it in a closet with cfls in bubbles or soil, that way you could control heat and bugs, don't give up if i can do it so can you bro

Thanks SC, I have caught the grow bug and it is way too late to hang up my hat. The photo period is until late March, if I start inside soon, with CFL's @ 24hrs in about a month and a half I could go outside...if I can build a greenhouse in time, before for the first frost... I'd still have plenty of time for a nice crop this season :)

You tried your best man.... I guess all I can say at this point is ... get yourself an Armoire! hee hee :)

one love !

The Armoire is epic. True stealth technology. Believe me, when I have to, I will. Maybe as a veg cabinet or Mother room. Thinking about a tent I can put in a greenhouse. Not too much need for ALL that stealth atm, I worry about police in helicopters tho, on the real.

One thing is fo sho. I have to start early and use proven methods when it comes to soil. I was ignorant and naive thinking I could just dig up the top soil and mix it with perlite and have a successful grow. Right now I'm saving money for my greenhouse roof. I want to use this stuff... Suntuf 12 ft. Solar Grey Roofing Panel.

1663524509356.png

I'm thinking the Grey on the top and clear around the sides. Only thing is I can only afford the top for now. I will have to put up mosquito screen on the sides if I want to use any type of light, the moths are thick around here.

Any success stories with Greenhouses much welcome! Anybody have any suggestions or comments on my greenhouse idea lemme know!!!

I'll post some pics of the beginning stages soon.

I would like to thanks the makers of maxi-crop liquid seaweed. I misted the foliage every evening and morning...wow! what a comeback!

100_06181.JPG

I'm sure the pH'd soil of peat, perlite, mushroom/manure compost, forest humus and HF f&f helped a little...

100_06174.JPG

100_06152.JPG

My g-friend said, "you better stop calling that one the runt." she says it hurts her feelings...

100_06162.JPG

fimmed two days before any pistils...

100_06232.JPG

The girl in the back has about 10 fewer bud sites that her sister in front. I had to prune some major damaged leaves early in her life...

100_06222.JPG

Plumeria pose...not the runt is on the right...

100_06254.JPG

subterfuge...

100_06263.JPG

not the runt was the last one to show pistils, about 4 days after my tallest plant showed. Maybe 10 days ago.

Maxi-crop Liquid kick-ass.

so I'm thinking maybeh it wasn't a bad thing...starting late...Jah will gives us as much as we can handle.

Back
Top Bottom