SmokingBowl's Simple Outdoor Grow

just harvested the second half of my tall girl cant remember if i called that one 1 or 2 lol i'm high atm. The other shorter plant next to it isn't ready yet but i'm gona take back the bad comment i made about it early in this journal, it was just a late bloomer and putting some nice frosty buds on. Also picked plant 5, i was in a bit of a rush today and didst bring the camera but plant 5's fan leaves had completely died off all that was left was bud leaves, the other plants leaves were very pale and yellow now and it had a bunch of hard little nugs on it (probably 1g size) both plants smelled great ill have to get some pics after there dry for you. I just trimmed up and canned plant 4 and it looked like 3oz on it, i'm going to bet plant 5 will be at 3 also once its dried and in jar. I put most of the tiny buds in the jars personally, only if they have too much stem to bud ratio i leave it with the trim. plant 3 turned out pretty immature and crappy compared to how fat it looked when green but it had about 4 oz and it honestly got me too high this morning. I used to smoke any strain but lately i prefer the cbd heavy stuff and a skunkish pheno picked early is about the opposite of that haha. its hard to guess what the yield off these 5 plants will be but i'm gona say more than a pound less than 1.5 my other spot of 5 plants is going to yield 3-5lb by the looks of it last time.
Going to say soil was the biggest difference, plants 1 and 2 had 40 gal holes dug and filled with composted cow manure and plants 3-5 had less than 20gal holes dug. The compost holds water very well and ive never drowned a plant with water in it either but during our 4 week stretch shortly after transplant with very little rain this summer these 5 plants definitely got water stressed bad. my other 5 plants grown in a compost pile had unlimited manure compost to grow in obviously and they handled the water stress better, however i know if i had brought water in weekly it would have made a huge difference. The big plant i have over there was in a naturally wet spot in the pile and is a benchmark for how the plants could have all looked if they were never thirsty, the middle 3 were in medium moisture and the smallest was very dry digging. Obviously i should have waters them in when i transplanted but i didn't title this "simple grow" for nothing either. Judging by the growth of my big plant which was irrigated all summer naturally i'm going to say water was a huge limiting factor on my yield this season. Also nutrients, NPK the first 5 plants obviously outgrew their compost holes and got ripe before the other 5. if these plants had a little more N to grow with this season i think they could have been a lot bigger. However the smell from these 5 plants was definitely stronger and sweeter and all the leaf yellowing/losses means they should be flushed to perfection. the other 5 plants are not ripe yet because i believe the compost pile is supplying large amounts of N to these plants and preventing them from finishing. I hit them with some bloom fertilizer during early flower which i think helped kick them into flower better than my results in the spot last year but i doubt they will finish as 'clean' as the other spot because the leaves are all green still i'm guessing it will taste a little harsher because the soil is a little too hot and plants wont be as flushed of nutes, but honestly i wont know for sure till i try it. This compost pile is between 3 and 7 years old from one end to the other and even the 7 year old end acts hot still too! however the unlimited compost strategy defintly killed the limited compost+ natural soil approach regarding yield.
So basically my first 5 plants are going to have the best quality and by other 5 are going to have the quantity. I'm happy with this i didn't have to plant as many plants, something thats very very important and i have a top shelf stash to treat myself with sometimes too. Next year hopefully i can combine the best parts of both spots and grow giant plants that don't show N abundance late in flower! Also i have to say the weather has been kind to me lately. The 10day forecast looks beautiful all 70's and 50's highs and lows lots of sun and no rain. if we were having a rainy crappy september like usual i would probably be complaining about mold all over my big plants but luckily they aren't moldy and can keep growing in peace. I definitely think smaller earlier plants are much safer to grow regarding bud rot in my climate and i knew i was taking a big risk in the compost pile because they get so big and finish so late compared to the same basic stuff in other spots, its a recipe for mold and i think the majority of years it would be a big problem, but sometimes you got to take chances besides i'm addicted to big plants, i'm already trying to work out how to grow them bigger next year, maybe ill just grow one plant and try to get 5+ off it. I promise i'm going to post pics soon been to hectic lately.

got a bad news update theres another 7 days of good weather in forecast i went out to the compost pile spot to check if buds are on the ground or if mold is starting somewheres but not to harvest yet... and it got ripped not the whole plants just the tops, i tried to take pics but i was shaking too much, probly anger. i guess thats all i got to say

ok i havnt been sulking about getting ripped but i have been up to my neck in trimming. this is my first year doing the 5-7 dat dry then jar curing, before i just let my plants hang with the leaves on all year till i was ready to smoke it. it worked pretty good for 2 years but last year my stash was harsh and i could only think it was the cure, i guess i got lucky with the weather and humidity other years. anyway between work i only have an hour or two each day to trim and im getting swamped, how do you guys do it? i have about 2.5 gal of jars filled and at least half left to go. i still have plant 1 out in the feild, and my compost plants should still have the bottom half out ripening in the sun but i couldnt risk it and because of that i have a lot of middle and bottom buds that are imature pain in the ass to trim. heres some bud pics anyway, dont pick on me for the trim job im trying my best and its for my own use anyways so noone is going to complain. im surprised how similar it all looked because they all looked different while growing, i think i have close to 7 plants represented in thiese 8 pics but im having trouble keeping track
DSCN013515.JPG
DSCN013411.JPG
DSCN013314.JPG
DSCN01329.JPG
DSCN013010.JPG
DSCN01298.JPG
DSCN012814.JPG
DSCN012716.JPG

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom