Ole Festus's & Ruth the Mule's growing on the outskirts of Dodge City adventure

Ruth? Ruth? Think I saw Lester's footprints, he's the only one I know wearing sandals & those are sandal tracks.. Next time he comes around and you see him, give him some of this :yummy:

:Namaste:

Ruth? Ruth? Think I saw Lester's footprints, he's the only one I know wearing sandals & those are sandal tracks.. Next time he comes around and you see him, give him some of this :yummy:

ol' fest? I found Ruth with Lester, he was trying to get ol' Ruth up the hill,

I told him you're the only one that can git her up that hill.

I'm making some pootea, come on over later, maybe you be kind enough to smell it for me again, tell me if it's ready.

Would you mind bringing me another pound of of fresh Ruth (#2) please, I won't pay unless it's still warm.

I don't pay for dry chips. :thanks:

Not too much to update on the Darkstar seedling. She's growing and will be transplanted in 2 more weeks at the earliest.

I do have something interesting from the last 3 AK 48's that I am finishing up in a couple of days. Look at what is growing out of the cola.

She will be coming down probably on Monday, need to really force flush her again tomorrow.

Nanners4.jpg

Thank you LA,

I have a serious question. I have read up on Nanners showing up late in flower on female photo period plants. Yes, it is a "Hermie Trait", but the only thing inside those sacks are possible female pollen correct? :reading420magazine: There are no male organs.

Now, since this plant is almost done, just need to see some ambers and then off to harvest she goes.

This is where you or another advanced grower can take me to school, I am paying attention. :thanks:

Do I have a chance of retrieving female pollen from those "Nanners" & putting it to good use or should I just harvest & say it was interesting to see?

Thank you LA! I will be attempting to collect the pollen. I may have to delay harvest just a little, but if there is pollen in there, I want it.

Not too much to update on the Darkstar seedling. She's growing and will be transplanted in 2 more weeks at the earliest.

I do have something interesting from the last 3 AK 48's that I am finishing up in a couple of days. Look at what is growing out of the cola.

She will be coming down probably on Monday, need to really force flush her again tomorrow.

Nanners4.jpg

You shouldn't be surprised to see this type of thing, since the female plant is begging to be pollinated, that's why the buds grow so big surface area wise so they have a higher chance of getting pollinated, if nothing happens then it can revert back to millions of years of plant evolution and that is being monoecious and to atleast ATTEMPT to self-pollinate, they're trying to continue their species as a last ditch effort. Those type of bananas sometimes do not even actually produce pollen, and often times their can be a failed pollination by these things, it's really obviously just a last ditch effort at the end here. This is seen on a lot of commercial buds as well, even if it produces pollen there would be no time to hinder the herbs by making seeds. So you can't really blame the plant for trying lol, it's just sometimes it swings the other way, genetically speaking...good luck trying to get pollen from those little things, I believe that would be close to impossible but hey give it a shot.

To sum up, and to answer your question, I would not even try getting the pollen from those things, you just harvest like normal and they shrivel up and go away and it doesn't effect anything. Very nice looking bud shot by the way :thumb:

Hey Ole festus! I have not tried to collect pollen from female nanners. Seems it going to be rather difficult as female nanners grow straight upward, whereas male nanners grow down so the pollen will fall out.
I'm going to try to send toker69 over here for you, see if he has done any collecting on female nanners. LA is right on the storage. You want to let the pollen dry before putting it in the cool area so it doesn't build up moisture. When you are ready to use it, make sure you let it come to room temp...again so no condensation occurs.
I will PM toker for ya.
:thumb:

Remember nothing is guaranteed in nature so even if you did isolate some pollen, it's not guaranteed that it will actually produces female seeds. But if your really motivated, try removing them gently with tweezers and then put them in a little storage cup to dry out, after they're dry, like LA said, fridge or freezer... doesn't have a long shelf-life anyway....

Thank you for the detailed information Lester. I'm going to harvest when I start to see the first ambers, if the sacks open up before that I'll try to collect, but if they don't open and she is ready, she's going to come down. I think I have agitated these plants just enough for them to resort to some last ditch efforts to survive & perpetuate.

I think the cold temps & light reduction that I have exposed them to in the last 2 weeks has done the trick.

Hey Ole festus! I have not tried to collect pollen from female nanners. Seems it going to be rather difficult as female nanners grow straight upward, whereas male nanners grow down so the pollen will fall out.
I'm going to try to send toker69 over here for you, see if he has done any collecting on female nanners. LA is right on the storage. You want to let the pollen dry before putting it in the cool area so it doesn't build up moisture. When you are ready to use it, make sure you let it come to room temp...again so no condensation occurs.
I will PM toker for ya.

Thank you Cannafan! Appreciate you help and guidance. If I can get it, I will, if not what an amazing thing to see on my first grow.

It's nanners for sure. That's kinda a small amount to try, and store tho. Best thing to do is use it now if you wanna make seeds. Nanner pollen sac's don't open like a flower, and when the pollen is released it's moist, and chunky. Not dry, and powdery. I recommend to pluck them off with tweezers, and drop them on buds. As they dry out it drops fresh pollen into buds.

But to store the pollen fold a simple paper storage pack. Add 1/8 teaspoon flour. Drop nanner on top of flour in pack. Let dry 24 hrs. Pop envelope into ziplock sandwich bag with desiccant. Store in fridge for up to six weeks, or freezer up to maybe a year.

Not a lot of pollen in those things. Might make 10 seeds outta one. Not sure tho.

It's nanners for sure. That's kinda a small amount to try, and store tho. Best thing to do is use it now if you wanna make seeds. Nanner pollen sac's don't open like a flower, and when the pollen is released it's moist, and chunky. Not dry, and powdery. I recommend to pluck them off with tweezers, and drop them on buds. As they dry out it drops fresh pollen into buds.

But to store the pollen fold a simple paper storage pack. Add 1/8 teaspoon flour. Drop nanner on top of flour in pack. Let dry 24 hrs. Pop envelope into ziplock sandwich bag with desiccant. Store in fridge for up to six weeks, or freezer up to maybe a year.

Not a lot of pollen in those things. Might make 10 seeds outta one. Not sure tho.

I agree with the small amount of pollen. I had a huge female plant that went beyond harvest time, she forced herself to seed. So far I've only collected about 20 seeds off the whole plant. Seems when they force themselves to seed, they do just enough to ensure pollinating a few areas.
Nice info on how to collect it too! I like the idea of just dropping it on a bud. They don't spread the pollen everywhere like a male plant does, it's wet and sticky as you said. I can see it just sitting on a few leaves, kind of chunky.

Thanks everyone, I had to go out & couldn't respond earlier. Thanks Toker & Cannafan!

Back
Top Bottom