Too much CalMag?

Ca and Mg are packaged together because they are both used at great rates by the plants... and It would be very hard to get a buildup of Ca in the amounts that are given with a calmag supplement. If you were adding large amounts of the raw minerals to the soil, yes it could be a problem, but this immediately available stuff coming in with this supplement in these small amounts should be ok.

In the short term, apply Epsom salts as a foliar. Dilute the salts at a rate of 20g of Epsom salts per litre of water (1/3oz per pint) plus a few drops of liquid detergent. Apply two or three times at fortnightly intervals, spraying in dull weather to avoid leaf scorch.

¡Hola and welcome to :420:!

Back to the initial post, it appears that there was probably an incipient Mg def (interveinal fading/leaf damage on lower leaves), which was exacerbated by the addition of too much Ca.

Sometimes, CalMag is not the answer. In this case, had you been fertilizing normally, the application of Epsom salt would have been prescribed.

Do you know what’s in your water (or are you using RO)? Too much Ca in the tap water, plus more in the CalMag, could lock out the Mg, making the Mg def worse.

See Mulder’s chart for antagonistic interactions:
8B06C786-2C07-416B-B504-F86D44C89DD1.png
Hey Felipe,
I have been using tap water which I Ph to around 6.4...it comes about of the tap above 7 (known as 'Hard water' here) not sure if it matters but I get a lot of limescale in my kettle....maybe I should use a water filter but hadn't thought about it until now. I planted the seeds into organic soil mixed with miracle grow & perlite mixed in. I only had a little tinge of burning on a couple of plants but then after CalMag those plants are fine and enjoyed the CalMag by the looks of it only this original plant (which is in a smaller pot) suffered from the CalMag.....I will have to study Mulders Chart a bit more as I dont really understand it...Got some Mega Crop coming in the next day or so so will probably wait for that until I water them again and leave the CalMag out of the mix......wonder if I have left it too late in the grow for this food but hopefully it will help....one plant has just started flowering.....Still learning as I go so thanks for you help....;p :Namaste:

In the short term, apply Epsom salts as a foliar. Dilute the salts at a rate of 20g of Epsom salts per litre of water (1/3oz per pint) plus a few drops of liquid detergent. Apply two or three times at fortnightly intervals, spraying in dull weather to avoid leaf scorch.
OK, so you are saying to use Epsom Salts as a spray for the leaves that are burnt? And then just spray the leaves once every two weeks for 4-6 weeks?

OK, so you are saying to use Epsom Salts as a spray for the leaves that are burnt? And then just spray the leaves once every two weeks for 4-6 weeks?
you are going to find when the MegaCrop gets there that you dont want or need extra magnesium. Go easy for now... you are not going to need epsom for very long.

you are going to find when the MegaCrop gets there that you dont want or need extra magnesium. Go easy for now... you are not going to need epsom for very long.

Figures that a week ago my fiance asked me to get her Epsom salts at the store so I went and got some, not knowing it could be used for things like this. Of course I got the "fancy" kind which I'm gonna say is NOT safe for plants... gonna have to run back out later. This is what I have now, I don't think the plant would like the hemp seed and essential oils :laughtwo: -

1591731801591.png

Hi Emilya,
I justt wanted to check if this is the one you mean? Its does say 1 Part Complete Premium NPK Formula so am not sure.
Its the only one I can find in the UK 1000g bags seems to have run out everywhere;)
If you do get the Mega Crop, do your self a favor and order a cheap 10 dollar gram scale. It's measured in grams. There are conversions floating around on the net, but there may be a need to tweak your feedings as you grow. This way you can be more accurate. Just my 2 cents.

If you do get the Mega Crop, do your self a favor and order a cheap 10 dollar gram scale. It's measured in grams. There are conversions floating around on the net, but there may be a need to tweak your feedings as you grow. This way you can be more accurate. Just my 2 cents.

Good catch! Just make sure it can measure in tenths (or even hundredths) of a gram. Shouldn’t be more than a 20 spot.

I just grabbed some plain Epsom salt from the store, quite the bargain at 88 cents. I will mix as suggested above but have never foliar-fed before so what is the best method to do so? I know it seems obvious but should I completely saturate the plant until dripping, or just a fine mist? Thank you all :thanks:

I had a similar issue I gave calmag twice in a row yesterday and day before. This is what I had today, and I promptly flushed with rain water. I'm now wondering if that was the right action. I feed these plants lightly they are re-vegged mom's. I usually just feed them rain mixed with my well water. Well water is ,,6.8 p.h. occasionally I feed big bloom from foxfarm in between that I give light feeding of megacrop. Water from well is usually 330 ppm. I assume my well has lots of calcium. feeding Epsom mixed in well water seems to work if I feed it only once a month
I accidentally gave it two days in a row.
Should I transplant to new soil and just feed mega crop in a few days or , leave alone and feed epsom via foliar feed? Can I just start giving her megacrop light feeding and see?

IMG_20210226_195842.jpg

I had a similar issue I gave calmag twice in a row yesterday and day before. This is what I had today, and I promptly flushed with rain water. I'm now wondering if that was the right action. I feed these plants lightly they are re-vegged mom's. I usually just feed them rain mixed with my well water. Well water is ,,6.8 p.h. occasionally I feed big bloom from foxfarm in between that I give light feeding of megacrop. Water from well is usually 330 ppm. I assume my well has lots of calcium. feeding Epsom mixed in well water seems to work if I feed it only once a month
I accidentally gave it two days in a row.
Should I transplant to new soil and just feed mega crop in a few days or , leave alone and feed epsom via foliar feed? Can I just start giving her megacrop light feeding and see?

IMG_20210226_195842.jpg
These mom's are in new foxfarm happy frog soil.

I see white debis on the leaves which could be aphids, when they molt they leave their old carcass behind attached to the leaves which results in the visible debris on foliage, they are very well camouflaged and often hang out on main stem. As far as the cal-mag I would flush with 3 times the container size with water. So if 5 gallon buckets of soil use 15 gallons of water.

that’s my 2 cents but see what other replies you get

best of luck to you! Let us know what you find

Elevate your plants on a high shelf, spray up underneath her skirt (canopy) first covering all of the leaf undersides get stems & stalks too. Then move plant to lower position and spray from top down. Reason for this is if you spray from the top down first then leaves will be drooping downward from the weight of wet leaves and then you don’t get good coverage when you spray undersides. So always start under her skirt... not too hard to remember now huh?

Back
Top Bottom