Topping at a lower internode than the latest, is this OK? Picture attached: Advice please

saulgoodman18

420 Member
Hi Guys,

So basically my latest set of cuttings have grown rather large. I am at the point of veg now where I like to LST and do multiple topping, as I prepare for a scrog style garden. I have done this in the past with great success, however the clones in question are a new strain that seems rather tall. My question is: is it okay to top the plants at lower internodes? I don't think this is an issue, however I just wanted to seek advice from others who have experience doing such a thing. Please check my little doodle to get a better idea! My main reasoning for doing this is to achieve more of a bushy structure while maintaining the optimal distance from the lights = Much greater yields.

Attachments

• structure can.jpg
    structure can.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 152
You can top anywhere you want
But if height is yer reason try training better by bending those taller branches over or supercrop them, then you can save those main cola tops

Yes, that is correct. I will be super cropping the two main stems down, allowing the growth in the middle to catch up with the main stems. My concern is really aimed at where I want to do the topping. Each stem will be topped regardless, but ideally I would like to do this at lower internodes. Ultimately what I would like to know is: if I top the plants much lower than I usually would, will this be damaging to the plant? I know it undoes some of the growth but I am not concerned about that.

I've only done that a few times, but each time I have done it it has been fine. Both times I have seen a good increase in root growth. I don't know if it was a result of the aggressive topping( I topped 3 nodes down at once on the plants) but the plants came back very healthy and took up water and nutes faster than before. Not a scientific study by far and I usually recommend super cropping so as not to waste all that growth you spent time and money growing but I haven't seen damage from it. Hope it work out for you.

Top your plant at any node you wish - I wouldn’t go lower than the 3rd node though ( where it grew its first true 3 fingered leaf). Expect topping to slow growth down for the next 3-7 days. Only top if the plant is growing vigorously - otherwise it’ll take a long time to recover. Super cropping is less stressful on the plane (2-3 days recovery) and LST causes very little stress with no recovery time. My personal preference is for an 8 cola manifold (top 3 times) OR fluxing (top once and train the two colas horizontally, letting secondary growth come up). I then prune alternate secondary branches to create a round or candelabra shaped plant with many colas.

I've only done that a few times, but each time I have done it it has been fine. Both times I have seen a good increase in root growth. I don't know if it was a result of the aggressive topping( I topped 3 nodes down at once on the plants) but the plants came back very healthy and took up water and nutes faster than before. Not a scientific study by far and I usually recommend super cropping so as not to waste all that growth you spent time and money growing but I haven't seen damage from it. Hope it work out for you.
Top your plant at any node you wish - I wouldn’t go lower than the 3rd node though ( where it grew its first true 3 fingered leaf). Expect topping to slow growth down for the next 3-7 days. Only top if the plant is growing vigorously - otherwise it’ll take a long time to recover. Super cropping is less stressful on the plane (2-3 days recovery) and LST causes very little stress with no recovery time. My personal preference is for an 8 cola manifold (top 3 times) OR fluxing (top once and train the two colas horizontally, letting secondary growth come up). I then prune alternate secondary branches to create a round or candelabra shaped plant with many colas.

Hey guys, thank you so much for the helpful replies. I did proceed to top lower than the latest node (2-3 lower plant depending). It has been 2 weeks and as far as I can tell, it was the right decision. The only adverse effect has been loss of growth as it has taken time to get growth. However, it was growth I wanted to lose then I did some LST, allowing for inner stem growth to catch up. This has formed a more bushy structure just how I like! So to conclude, if you can avoid it then do. If you have no choice and are late to training your ladies (due to circumstances), and need to top lower to reduce size then it works fine. Of course allow for recovery time. :)

I'm a new grower but I have experimented with this with good results. You can top or pinch basically wherever. If it's where you want it topped then top it. IMO

prune alternate secondary branches to create a round or candelabra shaped plant with many colas.
That's a technique I wanted to experiment with. I have a wide but shallow grow area (about 2x8) so I only want vertical growth and growth on the sides but not front or back. I would appreciate more info and pics on how you accomplish this if possible. It sounds like your method is the same as what I was already intending on doing but advice would help. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom