Transplanting From Miracle Grow To Coco During Flowering

Ninja Lip

Found a seed with some bud I got, planted it for funsies and it sprouted. I used what I had at the time and this is what I have now.

Strain - Bagseed (It should be Ogre)
# of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Flowering (2 weeks since start)
Bucket Size - 3 Gallon Plastic
Lights - (7) CFL's, 18k lumens
Nutrients - In soil
Medium - Miracle grow potting mix
PH - 7.0
RH - 55% to 60%
Room Temperature - 78
Room Square Footage - 8' x 4'
Pests - None Known

Growing this got my greenthumb throbbing, Did some research and got some seeds and grow equipment, And I wanted to transplant the plant I have to this setup.

Grow Type - Coco Coir
Bucket Size - 3 Gallon Smart Pot
Nutrients - General Hydroponics + Cal-mag
Medium - 80% Coco, 20% Perlite

Would it be okay to do that?
Will the time release nutes in the MG soil mess up the coco?
Would it stress the plant out to much?
Do you think this would improve the final harvest or am I stuck with brick either way?
Should I just let it stay as is and use those resources on the seeds I ordered?

Here's what she looks like now
247.jpeg
197.jpeg

What are your thoughts and thanks for helping

You really shouldn't transplant in flowering, it could stress the plant out. It would be tough to transplant a 3 gallon plant into a completely different medium too. Personally, I would take a clone or two now, and let them root elsewhere, then grow those in your coco/perlite mixture.

How old is the plant overall? Most of the MG nutes may be used up by now, but a flush would still be good if you haven't done one yet. She (assuming it's a she) does show some symptoms of a few small deficiencies, but looks pretty good overall. You can still use the GH nutes to finish her out too.

I think I'm going to do what you suggested and flush it and start feeding it nutes. I'm thinking of starting at around 1/3 the regular strength and playing it by ear from there. The plant is about 4 weeks old. I'm not going to make any clones at the moment, I don't have enough lights for more then 1 plant, and I wont for a little while while I save up the money for a 600w HPS/MH kit and by that time I'll have some Northern Lights seeds to make mothers out of.

And just to make sure I'm correct, In order to flush it I would give it Ph'd tap water untill there's 80-90% runoff the next time it needs water. And after that I can start feeding it nutes when it needs water again?

I think the common rule of thumb for flushing is 3X the capacity of your container. So if it's in a 3 gallon container, you flush with 9 gallons of pH'ed water. I've never flushed that much though. It just depends on how many nutes are left in the MG soil. Since it is only 4 weeks old, it probably has quite a few nutes, so a big flush would probably be best. Then you can do as you mentioned, start feeding it during the next watering.

It's looking pretty big for 4 weeks old!

Miracle Grow has slow release nutes that release when watered so you might end up over doing the nutes if you flush. I had 3 plants that were in soil that were 3 months old. After 4 weeks in flower my hydro system arrived and I transplanted them as an experiment. It took about 2 weeks for them to recover from the shock, none of them were so traumatized that they hermied though.

Once they got going again they flourished and started budding out. The branches became so heavy they were falling over. I've got bamboo sticks holding up all the main branches now and they're doing great.

Soil was a pain for me, and Miracle Grow made things even worse because of the time release nutes.

I've not done anything with coco, but if you decide to transplant,
- Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it 2/3 of the way with water
- Carefully pull the plant along with all of it's dirt out of the pot
- Submerge the whole dirt ball holding on to the trunk and gently work your free hand into the dirt
- Break free all the dirt you can while trying not to damage the roots. (Some root loss is unavoidable)

When you have most of the dirt gone and the roots exposed, hold it at about the right height in the new pot and gently add the new medium, a handful at a time if you have to. You may have to use bamboo sticks (or similar) to hold it up until it establishes new support roots. Water as you would with any plant in your chosen medium and it should be fine.

If I transplanted it, would I have to give it nutes right away? The MG soil is 21-11-18, The perlite I would be transplanting to is MG and it has 7-7-7 (but no time-release nutes) so I don't know if that's enough nutes left on the roots and in the plant after transplant + the 20% perlite to last a few days. The soil feeds for 6 months and I can see plenty of nute balls so I'm worried I could easily kill it with to many nutes + the shock.

If I transplanted it, would I have to give it nutes right away? The MG soil is 21-11-18, The perlite I would be transplanting to is MG and it has 7-7-7 (but no time-release nutes) so I don't know if that's enough nutes left on the roots and in the plant after transplant + the 20% perlite to last a few days. The soil feeds for 6 months and I can see plenty of nute balls so I'm worried I could easily kill it with to many nutes + the shock.

Yes, you would want to give it nutes right away if you transplant using ksum's suggestion. Just make sure you get most everything off the roots esp the "nute balls". Maybe change the water a couple times and do several rinses.

Can you clarify the perlite thing? Are you mixing in miraclegrow perlite in with your coco? And if it really is 7-7-7 then it probably does have nutrients in it. You could try rising that to 0ppm if you can get it down to that, but I would get perlite that is just perlite.

This might be old information, but from my understanding, using Miraclegrow in any regard is a big no-no.

Yeah I'd be mixing in perlite with the coco untill its 20% of the final medium, It does have nutes in it however it's a small amount(99.50% perlite 0.5% wetting agent 0.45% fertilizer). I've read that MG perlite is decent in a pinch, and I couldn't find anything else locally (besides Vermiculite and I have no idea if that's good for plants).

I went ahead and did the transplant. I fucked up and did an asston of root damage to her though. I'm not so confident on her survival, started drooping hardcore within 10 minutes after the transplant. Guess well have to wait and see, I'll try to post some updates later on for future growers in similar situations.

And hey if she doesn't bounce back I gained some knowledge and I can start a NL seed when they get here so it's not a complete loss.

Luckily you haven't put a lot of time into this one. It's impressive growth for just a few weeks. I'd have been upset if one of mine died during the transplant after spending 3 months in veg and a month in flower. Fingers crossed that she'll find her way back though.

Baby baby baby it. Plants are survivors. I have cut 85 percent of a root ball off of a plant before due to rot and it being root bound. I also did a hydro to organic switch at the same time with that plant. It took a little longer than normal to come back, but it's going strong now. Don't loose hope in it.

Oh no not miracle grow again...don't use it next time buddy, its far from ideal for cannabis plants.

next grows going to be nirvana auto NL's with a 600 hps/mh + these cfls I'm currently using in coco w/ flora trio and calmag Nutes, Learned my lesson lol.

I'll probably start a journal once everything gets here. Just waiting on shipping and all that jazz.

Sorry dude. It sucks when you have to start over.

May dense sticky buds come your way with the next one. :)

next grows going to be nirvana auto NL's with a 600 hps/mh + these cfls I'm currently using in coco w/ flora trio and calmag Nutes, Learned my lesson lol.

I'll probably start a journal once everything gets here. Just waiting on shipping and all that jazz.

Cool...im actually growing some nirvana auto NL, so far so good I think.

Back
Top Bottom