Trichom Advice Please

Trichomes have more THC when clear, and transform THC to CBD when going amber. So later harvest for Sativa, sooner for Indica.

In your case, I think you dont have to hurry your harvest since they seem Sativa-dominant. But it's all preference. Some even prefer to wait for the plant to foxtail and harvest very late.

State of the trichs is one main key, but experienced growers (I'm not) seem to look at all aspects of the plant to decide. They say the plant "tells you" when it's ready. ;-)

How are the pistils ? Is there new ones appearing all the time ? How are the calyxes, did they get very "plump" recently ? Changes in bud colors ? etc.

BluePhoric,

The later harvest for Sativa tends to be because Sativa (generally speaking) take a lot longer to finish; but I really don't think your understanding is correct; though of course, I may be wrong. Most who grow Sativa want the up high and not the couch lock that's associated with greater amount of amber.

I just took some pics of what's supposed to be 8 ball kush, but obviously is not.

Uknown_Bud.JPG

Unknown_Lady.JPG

Thank you.

Zafu

First, thanks for telling me that my understanding is incorrect, when I'm trying to help someone who asks for opinions in the first place.

Secundo... Many growers just wish to not amplify some trait of the strain, by harvesting sooner or later. Indicas have a more body-high and couch-lock effect. Harvesting late would make the stone even more sleepy, and that may be undesirable. The other way around, Sativas being more head/psychoactive high, and sometimes paranoia inducing, many prefer to harvest later to balance those effects.

Third, if your preference is to have a big head high and none of the CBD effects... go ahead and harvest asap. If your preference is to have a more balanced effect, harvest later with 50% amber trichomes.

Fourth, all that said, a sativa will be a sativa and an indica wil be an indica, so harvesting with 1% amber or 50% amber wont transform a sativa into an indica.

BluePhoric,

I don't know why you appear to feel offended. If you had explained yourself as you just did, I would have better understood you. What you previously wrote about sativa vs indica harvesting didn't make sense because it was the opposite of what the nature of those are. Now you just explained it; which is that some like to obtain the opposite to balance the natural effects of each.

Thank you.

Zafu

Hey, not offended...

I would post a link to a Subcool blog, but 420 Mag would probably remove the link because of it's sponsors guidelines...
Let me just paste the relevant parts of the text. Again, it's an individual's opinion (that I share), and it isn't necessarily everybody's opinion.

If you are growing mostly Indica hybrids, it is better to harvest your plants when the resin glands are completely developed but not fully ripen — before they turn amber — unless you want to be glued to your sofa.

If growing mostly Sativa hybrids, make sure that all resin glands are fully developed and 30% of them are amber before harvesting your plants.

1) When the bulbous heads of the trichomes are fully developed but still translucent, plants will produce a "high" and stimulating effect, less sedative. It is the perfect moment to harvest strong Indica strains.

2) When these bulbous heads turn milky is probably the best moment to harvest most available hybrids.

3) When 70% of these trichome heads are milky and 30% amber, it is the perfect time to harvest mostly Sativa hybrids and long flowering strains (like Haze). It is also the best moment to harvest plants for making hashish.

But the most important facts would be :
- Not harvesting before the trichomes are milky, if aiming for peak THC potency.
- The amber trichomes are a sign of degrading THCA levels, it should be kept in mind.
- It's strain dependent and preference dependent to aim for more or less amber trichomes to obtain the desired effect.

BP

Hey, not offended...

I would post a link to a Subcool blog, but 420 Mag would probably remove the link because of it's sponsors guidelines...
Let me just paste the relevant parts of the text. Again, it's an individual's opinion (that I share), and it isn't necessarily everybody's opinion.

If you are growing mostly Indica hybrids, it is better to harvest your plants when the resin glands are completely developed but not fully ripen – before they turn amber – unless you want to be glued to your sofa.

If growing mostly Sativa hybrids, make sure that all resin glands are fully developed and 30% of them are amber before harvesting your plants.

1) When the bulbous heads of the trichomes are fully developed but still translucent, plants will produce a “high” and stimulating effect, less sedative. It is the perfect moment to harvest strong Indica strains.

2) When these bulbous heads turn milky is probably the best moment to harvest most available hybrids.

3) When 70% of these trichome heads are milky and 30% amber, it is the perfect time to harvest mostly Sativa hybrids and long flowering strains (like Haze). It is also the best moment to harvest plants for making hashish.

But the most important facts would be :
- Not harvesting before the trichomes are milky, if aiming for peak THC potency.
- The amber trichomes are a sign of degrading THCA levels, it should be kept in mind.
- It's strain dependent and preference dependent to aim for more or less amber trichomes to obtain the desired effect.

BP

This really makes a lot of sense to me. There is so much to learn since this season is only my second grow. I've become so preoccupied with how the Trichomes look that I've forgotten about the intrinsic manner a Sativa vs Indica makes one feel, so to balance that out is very practical. I don't see much science on the internet explaining why the feeling is different for Sativa vs Indica, but we all know it is; so obviously it isn't solely about the stage of Trichome development.

Thanks BluePhoric.

Zafu

Nice looking plants!

Back
Top Bottom