Trying Fox Farm for the 1st time

But you all by-passed my issue, I have read it is good for bigger plants and after started then place in soil XYZ. The issue is from a white tail seed to a growing medium then until it emerges and gains the first set of leaves . Just all wood in most of the custom soils.
If it's honestly that chunky just move the wood pieces out of the way of the path of the seed. Never had an issue unless it was sitting on the seed. After I go into soil, I only cover maybe 1/8 to 1/4in with soil, lightly.

@Weekender I've had problems going straight into stock soil in a big pot with freshly germinated seeds also. Sometimes there are nasty microbes in there that the babies aren't equipped to handle yet. I've taken to sterilizing the soil for small 4" seedling pots in the microwave.
Putting the pot with soil into the microwave is interesting, never heard of that. How long do you cook the pot and soil?

@garybo I don't put the pot in the microwave. The plastic melts and you end up with a funny looking pot. I flush the soil well with warm water, let it drain thoroughly, then microwave it in a ceramic bowl to get it up to 180F. After it cools it goes in the pot. If I was going to scale it up, I'd use a big pressure cooker to sterilize larger batches.

@garybo I don't put the pot in the microwave. The plastic melts and you end up with a funny looking pot. I flush the soil well with warm water, let it drain thoroughly, then microwave it in a ceramic bowl to get it up to 180F. After it cools it goes in the pot. If I was going to scale it up, I'd use a big pressure cooker to sterilize larger batches.
Ohhh there ya go that's an affordable idea..

Thanks bucca, I see your point about the plastic pot's. Without second thought, I should have indicated that my seedling pots are biodegradable. Anyway thanks for the info.
Be cool.

I am an old gardener and have been doing this for a number of decades, I had nearly 100% of survival in that stage and was quite proud of myself. Now for a number of years also I have moved up to more premium product lines, seeds, dirt and nutes, and my success rate has floundered during this point of the grow, once they stand up I am back to near 100% survival.

Are you using peat pots, @garybo? I bet you could 'wave them. They would be delicate though being wet.
Yes baccabuds I use peat pots for my seedling so later I can put pot and plant into it's final growing pot.

I've used 'em before, @garybo Would you believe I've had people tell me they don't use them because they think the roots cant grow through the pot, lol. I was like, ok.... :hmmmm:
I hear you, my time on this earth is too short to debate with a uneducated folk.

I have used FFOF since I started. I'm sure some of the same soil is in there somewhere. But I add new soil and put charcoal in there (crushed up), add other soils, add ashes, add worm castings. I never had much luck with 'nutes'. Ended up burning tips or misshaped leaves. Oh, I mostly grow sativas.

Back
Top Bottom