Tips For First Time Growing Outdoors: Auto

Yeah, I should have thought of that myself:p
I suppose I'll go with pots since constant watering shouldn't be a problem, I understand from the benefits you've mentioned that if you have a guaranteed place for yourself the best course of action is to plant on the ground, but since anything can happen in my case, I think it'd be better to at least have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.
Always have a plan B is the best advice I've ever received. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

If you use fabric pots set on the ground the roots can grow out the bottom of the pot into the ground.
Good morning my friend.
Yes it does happen they occasionally poke out.
Not an issue usually, can be cut off.
But if the go into the ground all the better.
One of the nicest girls I've seen was done that was.
He cut the bottom from the bag and it thrived with the combo bag/ ground.

Stay safe
Bill

These boys came in a few days ago :yummy: I've been keeping them in a closet which should be okay (?) since it's dry, dark and has no temperature fluctuations.
I'm currently at the stage of looking for good local soil and some paraphernalia which will be needed, like pots and some gardening equipment. Should the pots I buy have holes on the bottom? Does that help the watering process? Also, can anyone suggest a good watering tool, like a sprinkler or a can of some sort?

IMG_20220426_230238.jpg

IMG_20220426_230326.jpg

These boys came in a few days ago :yummy: I've been keeping them in a closet which should be okay (?) since it's dry, dark and has no temperature fluctuations.
I'm currently at the stage of looking for good local soil and some paraphernalia which will be needed, like pots and some gardening equipment. Should the pots I buy have holes on the bottom? Does that help the watering process? Also, can anyone suggest a good watering tool, like a sprinkler or a can of some sort?

IMG_20220426_230238.jpg

IMG_20220426_230326.jpg
Good morning @PlanPreacher2319 hope you are having a good day my friend.
Congrats on receiving your seeds anticipation woohoo.
For an outdoor gardening suggest cloth bags our sponsors have them
The biggervthe better 5 gal minimum but if you can get bigger I would.
I'm running a couple 50 liter bags this summer.
Put in the best soil you can acquire, but don't spend a fortune.
Then do you have nutrients?
You will have to feed them veg at first then flower nutrients come August.
As far as water goes a standard watering can will work for feeding.
And a hose when giving water in between the feeding.
Do you have a method for feeding ? or do you need a little guidance there?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Just found a local nutrient product with the following specifications:

Complete, organic fertilizer, 100% organic, for the stages of growth and flowering.
The mixture consists of guano powder, seaweed powder, palm ash, fish powder, volcanic ash and more.
• It is suitable for indoor and outdoor crops.
• It is suitable for all stages of growth of your plants.
• It has soil-improving properties and favors the development of beneficial microbial activity in the soil.
• In addition to the basic nutrients it provides a number of other trace elements and bio-organic substances (humic acids, amino acids, enzymes and others).
• Can be used on existing, perennial plants by simply adding to the top of the planting medium.
NPK composition: 2-5-3
Application:
• For a light lubrication program, mix half a liter (0.5L) of the product with 50 liters (50 L) of soil.
• For a medium fertilization program, mix one liter (1L) of the product with 50 liters (50 L) of soil.
• For a high-lubrication program, mix three liters (1L) of the product with 50 liters (50 L) of soil.
The product is available in the following packages:
• 500ml
• 1 L
• 3 L
• 22 L

Excuse me if some things don't make sense, it wasn't in English so I translated it :p
This fertilizer should be fine, I would not plant in the ground unless you know the soil is good.
Has is been used as a garden before and peppers tomatoes etc have done well?

Fabric pots 5-10 gallon for autos, find promix HP or local equivalent. Mix soil and
fertilizer ASAP so it can start breaking down. Top dress as needed later on. You can
reuse the soil.

I'm recommending larger pots than most would for autos because I had auto 6'+ plant
in a 3G pot that eventually kept tipping over in the wind. The roots had grown though
the bag into the ground but this did not add enough stability.

Put in the best soil you can acquire, but don't spend a fortune.
Then do you have nutrients?
You will have to feed them veg at first then flower nutrients come August.
As far as water goes a standard watering can will work for feeding.
And a hose when giving water in between the feeding.
Do you have a method for feeding ? or do you need a little guidance there?
So I should find an organic soil which already has some desired nutrients, then buy some more to feed in Veg and then Flowering stage. If I plant in the middle of May though, shouldn't my autos be ready to harvest by late July/early August? I don't think I have the ability to have a hose there, the spot I've picked isn't exactly my back yard, so I'll look for a watering can. I'm not really knowledgable on feeding nutrients and watering, these are two topics that I would really like to learn more about, I've just been asking more questions about the start of the whole process so I can be sure I plant everything (mostly?) right and then move on from there.

Fabric pots 5-10 gallon for autos, find promix HP or local equivalent. Mix soil and
fertilizer ASAP so it can start breaking down. Top dress as needed later on. You can
reuse the soil.
It seems I'm taking normal pots out of the equation since you and Bill both advice on cloth bags/fabric pots. Should be cheaper for me too. Promix HP is a fertilizer right? I don't know if I can find that specific one here, but I could buy the one I sent above, I haven't tried it in any plants, I actually found it 2 weeks ago I think. I will search for more local products and I'll post if I find anything. Should I mix the soil and the fertilizer right after I have them? Also, what do you mean by top dressing? Feeding more nutrients?

So I should find an organic soil which already has some desired nutrients, then buy some more to feed in Veg and then Flowering stage. If I plant in the middle of May though, shouldn't my autos be ready to harvest by late July/early August? I don't think I have the ability to have a hose there, the spot I've picked isn't exactly my back yard, so I'll look for a watering can. I'm not really knowledgable on feeding nutrients and watering, these are two topics that I would really like to learn more about, I've just been asking more questions about the start of the whole process so I can be sure I plant everything (mostly?) right and then move on from there.
If you don't want to water and worry about steady nutrients, then dig a big hole put in your soil with fertilizer mixed in and plant in the ground.
Then you only occasionally have to water and top dress with nutrients.
Much easier than a pot or bag.
Otherwise you have to water and feed the pot.

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

It seems I'm taking normal pots out of the equation since you and Bill both advice on cloth bags/fabric pots. Should be cheaper for me too. Promix HP is a fertilizer right? I don't know if I can find that specific one here, but I could buy the one I sent above, I haven't tried it in any plants, I actually found it 2 weeks ago I think. I will search for more local products and I'll post if I find anything. Should I mix the soil and the fertilizer right after I have them? Also, what do you mean by top dressing? Feeding more nutrients?
Promix Hp is a potting mix without fertilizer, Sunshine #4 has also worked well for me.
Something similar should be available locally.

I have been using dry organic fertilizer more but also occasionally use liquid Mega Crop.
The dry organic fertilizers need a time to break down, the liquid fertilizers like MC don't.
Top dressing: add dry fertilizer to top of soil and scratch in, as you water plants get fed.

Got my hands on the soil the other day!
It has these specifications:

Professional Substrate for seeding Vegetable & Flower seeds. Contains:

Mixture of blonde and black peat moss, coco coir, perlite. It achieves high germination and very well root aeration for ensuring best possible root and plantlet development. It is enriched with N-P-K fertilizer plus trace elements.

Technical Features:
- Electrical Conductivity: 40mS/m (+/-25%)
- pH: 5,5 - 6,5
- Volume: 20Lt (should need one more for my 6 seeds I think)

I got it from a seed garden and it was the best thing I could find according to the ingredients all of you provided in the thread. I think it's a good soil for a headstart, what are your opinions? Is it good by itself to plant the seeds in or should I buy something like a fertilizer and mix it?

By scratch in what do you mean?
Sprinkle the amendment, fertilizer, nutrient or whatever you are using on the soil around the plant. Then use a 'garden rake' to scratch the soil so that it starts to loosen up the top couple of inches and at the same time mixes in whatever you have added.

Doing this has the added benefit of keeping the surface of the soil loose which helps prevent it from compacting. Compacted soil often slows down the soils ability to quickly absorb water.

Sprinkle the amendment, fertilizer, nutrient or whatever you are using on the soil around the plant. Then use a 'garden rake' to scratch the soil so that it starts to loosen up the top couple of inches and at the same time mixes in whatever you have added.

Doing this has the added benefit of keeping the surface of the soil loose which helps prevent it from compacting. Compacted soil often slows down the soils ability to quickly absorb water.
Thanks man, I think I got the gist of it now. So you basically use the rake to make the soil absorb whatever you're sprinkling it with. How should I know how often I should top dress the Autos? Are there some specific timeframes according to strains etc. or should I look for signs that the plant gives me?

Thanks man, I think I got the gist of it now. So you basically use the rake to make the soil absorb whatever you're sprinkling it with. How should I know how often I should top dress the Autos? Are there some specific timeframes according to strains etc. or should I look for signs that the plant gives me?
In English using the words "cultivating soil" when doing a google, or similar, search will give links explaining some of the ways to do it.

With Marijuana plants the grower has to be careful that they do not scratch up the top of the soil deeply since the plant is known for having a lot of surface roots. With some practice it falls into place.

If planting directly into the ground outside then I believe in looking for the signs that the plant gives. Then I would select and adjust what nutrients are used based on those signals.

It depends on how much was in the soil to begin with, don't mix so deep that you damage the roots.
Also finish with higher PK for flower.

Pots: I grew Carolina Reaper peppers in large clay and fabric pots last year, the fabric pots did much better.
I like the idea of squat pots, short and wide, will start using 10G for autos and underfilling, the tops
of the pots can be rolled down. This will add stability, pots will also be set on ground soil so the roots
can grow though. My rational is you get the good drainage of a pot but the roots can grow into the
ground so you don't have to water as often.

I'm currently trying to find if my soil is a good enough mix by itself to plant the seedlings in, or if I should mix it with something else before planting. Any advice is appreciated!
The plants usually grow well in any common soil because their roots can spread out to the sides. It is when we limit the growth by planting them in pots that requires that we pay more attention to the soil because of the limited amount of room for the roots.

Look around and if everything already growing in the area looks good then that is one sign your plants should also grow well.

The plants usually grow well in any common soil because their roots can spread out to the sides. It is when we limit the growth by planting them in pots that requires that we pay more attention to the soil because of the limited amount of room for the roots.

Look around and if everything already growing in the area looks good then that is one sign your plants should also grow well.
The thing is, I'm not planning to plant on the ground. If you see on my previous posts on the thread, I decided to plant in cloth bags in organic soil I bought a few days ago. I'm trying to find now if the soil that I bought is good enough by itself to plant the seedlings in, because if it needs a fertilizer or something in its mix to grow the seedling better, I should know that before I plant.

Back
Top Bottom