Soil mix for outdoor containers/grow bags?

Terrapin Station

I'm planning my first outdoor grow in grow bags now for both autos and photos.

I know if I use something like Miracle Grow potting mix I will be watering the plants twice a day in full sun in my backyard. It seems like I would want something more soil based as opposed to something like MG mixed with coir.

What do you use in your outdoor grow bags that you have been successful with please? 🙂☮️

There are too many answers to what to use. MG is nowhere on that list. It is not the right,,, whell anything for these plants. Is this your first grow, first outside grow, or first outside in bags?

First, do you want an organic soil that has most all the nutrients and add water? Do you want a neutral media like coco where you add all the nutrients with watering but have daily controll?

There are too many answers to what to use. MG is nowhere on that list. It is not the right,,, whell anything for these plants. Is this your first grow, first outside grow, or first outside in bags?

First, do you want an organic soil that has most all the nutrients and add water? Do you want a neutral media like coco where you add all the nutrients with watering but have daily controll?

Yes, this is my first outside grow. I have no experience growing outside. I'm on my first indoor grow now. (See photo)

I would like to have a soil that has most of the nutrients that I just add water.

Thanks for responding. ☮️

IMG_20240112_093349168.jpg

Fox farm, happy frog is the most popular for a reason if you want organic soil. You can add supplemental synthetic fert like Advanced Nutrients, fox farm, or any other brand intended for canabis.

You can go go basic or down a rabbit hole. I have not grown organic outside in a long time. Emily is the organic guru but i will have to remember her actual tag and haven't seen her on here in a bit. @SmokingWings can you help?

Fox farm, happy frog is the most popular for a reason if you want organic soil. You can add supplemental synthetic fert like Advanced Nutrients, fox farm, or any other brand intended for canabis.

You can go go basic or down a rabbit hole. I have not grown organic outside in a long time. Emily is the organic guru but i will have to remember her actual tag and haven't seen her on here in a bit. @SmokingWings can you help?
I'm open to non organic also, whichever gives me the just add water option until flowering anyway.

@SmokingWings can you help?
:):)I was typing up some thoughts on the question when the notice that your msg was added to the thread.:).

I'm planning my first outdoor grow in grow bags now for both autos and photos.

What do you use in your outdoor grow bags that you have been successful with please? 🙂☮️
I do not use grow bags, just the good ol' plastic landscape types of pots. Either way, the bigger the better since the plant roots will be limited to absorbing nutrients from the potted soil. Even using a fertilizer mix in the soil or adding it along the way never seems to make up for free roaming roots gathering what they need.

Using premixed bags of soil from a grow or gardening shop there still is a very good chance that it will be mixed with coco coir or with peat moss. More often than not a limited amount of Perlite was added.

Years ago I filled a pot with soil right from the garden and used that. I did not add anything to the soil while filling the pot nor used any fertilizer during the vegetating or flowering stage. The past 5-6 years I have filled the pots with the same mix as I use indoors. Occasionally I will use a fertilizer mix but not on any real schedule like inside. I realize that this will affect and limit the size but I have to keep these stealth outdoor plants small so that they are not visible to the public.

I'm open to non organic also, whichever gives me the just add water options until flowering anyway.
Many 'water only' soils are heavy on the organics or at least natural ingredients. They will use high percentages of compost and worm castings to get a start.

Depending on how involved you want to get you could mix up your own basic potting soil of 1/3 each of compost soil, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, and Perlite. Look at some of the recipes for super-soil and add the amendments and have your own mix.

:):)I was typing up some thoughts on the question when the notice that your msg was added to the thread.:).

I do not use grow bags, just the good ol' plastic landscape types of pots. Either way, the bigger the better since the plant roots will be limited to absorbing nutrients from the potted soil. Even using a fertilizer mix in the soil or adding it along the way never seems to make up for free roaming roots gathering what they need.

Using premixed bags of soil from a grow or gardening shop there still is a very good chance that it will be mixed with coco coir or with peat moss. More often than not a limited amount of Perlite was added.

Years ago I filled a pot with soil right from the garden and used that. I did not add anything to the soil while filling the pot nor used any fertilizer during the vegetating or flowering stage. The past 5-6 years I have filled the pots with the same mix as I use indoors. Occasionally I will use a fertilizer mix but not on any real schedule like inside. I realize that this will affect and limit the size but I have to keep these stealth outdoor plants small so that they are not visible to the public.

Many 'water only' soils are heavy on the organics or at least natural ingredients. They will use high percentages of compost and worm castings to get a start.

Depending on how involved you want to get you could mix up your own basic potting soil of 1/3 each of compost soil, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, and Perlite. Look at some of the recipes for super-soil and add the amendments and have your own mix.
Thanks again for this man--appreciate it! ☮️

Hey Terrapin, I'm an experience outdoor grower here in Hawaii. I grow in greenhouses. Feel free to check out my soil mix link in my signature. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Depending on where you're located, and the time of year, you may have a concern about bud rot and leaf mold. If so, you may wish to acquire seed for strains that are naturally resistant.

:ciao:

Hey Terrapin, I'm an experience outdoor grower here in Hawaii. I grow in greenhouses. Feel free to check out my soil mix link in my signature. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Depending on where you're located, and the time of year, you may have a concern about bud rot and leaf mold. If so, you may wish to acquire seed for strains that are naturally resistant.

:ciao:
Thank you! 👍

Back
Top Bottom