Tips For First Time Growing Outdoors: Auto

PlanPreacher2319

Hello to all the growers out there.
Currently planning to grow outdoors for the first time. I live in Mediterranean Europe, where the best time to grow outside would be in May, which is around the corner. I've got 6 Auto seeds, 5 Gorilla Cookies and 1 Gelato. The thing that has baffled me the most while preparing is the acquisition of good soil. Since my economic situation isn't the best and I don't know how effective it would be for a first time grower to try and make a super soil by himself, I've opted to trying with a pre-made super soil and adding any nutrients that are needed (before and/or after planting). From my research, I've found that the pre-made soils that are most commonly recommended on forums are products like FoxFarm, Black Gold Organic and Big Rootz, which are not commonly available in my part of the world without paying a hefty amount for delivery and custom costs which I am not able to at this time. One choice I've found which can ship from Europe is Canna's products, specifically Canna Terra Professional Soil Mix, which states the following specifications on Ebay:

Item specifics​

Condition:
New

Indoor/Outdoor:
Indoor & Outdoor

Packaging:
Bag

Application:
Flower Bed, Flower Pots

Type:
Potting Soil

Brand:
CANNA

pH Value:
Organic:
Yes

Features:
pH Balanced

Compatible Plant Type:
Rose, Herbs, Fruit, Potted Plant, Flower, Shrub, Succulent

Product Information:
This 50-litre pack of CANNA Terra Professional Soil Mix is the perfect potting mix for indoor or outdoor plants. This professional-quality potting mix is a unique blend of spaghnum moss peat, worm castings, compost, perlite, and a plant-booster organic blend. The nitrogen-rich soil mix is ideal for any plants and promotes exceptional root development and plant growth. This potting mix will produce higher yields and healthier plants.

Dimensions:
Weight
17kg

Volume
50 L

Length
66 cm

I want to know whether anyone has tried this soil and whether it can support the growth of my autos, yielding at least above average results, if not ideal. As far as I know, peat, worm castings, compost and perlite are good things to have in the soil mix. If extra nutrients are needed (which I suspect they are), I'd appreciate if someone suggested any and shared some knowledge on when to feed them to the mix (before planting, after 4-5 weeks, etc.). Moreover, a bag with a volume of 50L (53 quarts approximately), would be more than enough to support the growth of 6 Autos, right? I read that the approximate height of Gorilla Cookies and Gelato Autos is from 70-80cm to 1m, which means that my pots won't need to be to big. I've read some varying opinions on this soil, others say it's mix is too strong for seedlings, others say their experience with it was good. Also, this may sound like a very stupid question, but is it a good idea to bury the pots, or just place them above ground? Excuse my newbiness, I'm just trying to learn. Any knowledge shared is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello to all the growers out there.
Currently planning to grow outdoors for the first time. I live in Mediterranean Europe, where the best time to grow outside would be in May, which is around the corner. I've got 6 Auto seeds, 5 Gorilla Cookies and 1 Gelato. The thing that has baffled me the most while preparing is the acquisition of good soil. Since my economic situation isn't the best and I don't know how effective it would be for a first time grower to try and make a super soil by himself, I've opted to trying with a pre-made super soil and adding any nutrients that are needed (before and/or after planting). From my research, I've found that the pre-made soils that are most commonly recommended on forums are products like FoxFarm, Black Gold Organic and Big Rootz, which are not commonly available in my part of the world without paying a hefty amount for delivery and custom costs which I am not able to at this time. One choice I've found which can ship from Europe is Canna's products, specifically Canna Terra Professional Soil Mix, which states the following specifications on Ebay:

Item specifics​

Condition:
New

Indoor/Outdoor:
Indoor & Outdoor

Packaging:
Bag

Application:
Flower Bed, Flower Pots

Type:
Potting Soil

Brand:
CANNA

pH Value:
Organic:
Yes

Features:
pH Balanced

Compatible Plant Type:
Rose, Herbs, Fruit, Potted Plant, Flower, Shrub, Succulent

Product Information:
This 50-litre pack of CANNA Terra Professional Soil Mix is the perfect potting mix for indoor or outdoor plants. This professional-quality potting mix is a unique blend of spaghnum moss peat, worm castings, compost, perlite, and a plant-booster organic blend. The nitrogen-rich soil mix is ideal for any plants and promotes exceptional root development and plant growth. This potting mix will produce higher yields and healthier plants.

Dimensions:
Weight
17kg

Volume
50 L

Length
66 cm

I want to know whether anyone has tried this soil and whether it can support the growth of my autos, yielding at least above average results, if not ideal. As far as I know, peat, worm castings, compost and perlite are good things to have in the soil mix. If extra nutrients are needed (which I suspect they are), I'd appreciate if someone suggested any and shared some knowledge on when to feed them to the mix (before planting, after 4-5 weeks, etc.). Moreover, a bag with a volume of 50L (53 quarts approximately), would be more than enough to support the growth of 6 Autos, right? I read that the approximate height of Gorilla Cookies and Gelato Autos is from 70-80cm to 1m, which means that my pots won't need to be to big. I've read some varying opinions on this soil, others say it's mix is too strong for seedlings, others say their experience with it was good. Also, this may sound like a very stupid question, but is it a good idea to bury the pots, or just place them above ground? Excuse my newbiness, I'm just trying to learn. Any knowledge shared is appreciated. Thanks!
Good morning @PlanPreacher2319 hope you are well my friend.
Happy 420.:ganjamon:
The canna is a good product for sure.
But for your situation if it's expensive I don't think it's worth it.
Your local garden store should have a decent soil for a good price.
Save the hay.
Unless you can mix a Living Organic Soil or "LOS" you will need nutrients of some kind regardless of canna soil or not.
Any pre amended soil will only feed so much before running out of nutrients.
Nutrients will be required before they finish flowering.
Do you have access to @GeoFlora Nutrients where you are they would be perfect.
Otherwise some sort of locally available nutrients would be required.
There are recipes for making your own if your really stuck.
But there should be something available.

Stay safe
Bill

I agree… any “organic” type soil will work.

Get a big bag of whatever you can find local, add 5 quarts perlite, 5 quarts earthworm castings, 8 quarts compost, and 1 1/4 cup organic flower/bloom mix

The reason for bloom nutes is by the time the organic matter breaks down you’ll be close to flower and your plant can utilize the bloom variation. Be sure it’s not the water soluble and had raw organic matter like bone, feather, blood meal, crushed shells, etc. You should be able to get a top feed to go along with it once things get going. This soil mix should get you through 2-4 weeks without nutes depending on the mix. You will need to water with molasses or something in order to feed the microbes in the soil to help break down the organic matter.

Here’s what I used…

First of all, really appreciate the help! Finally some light has been shed on my situation hahah
I understand from what you're saying that purchasing a pre-made soil from overseas isn't really worth it, so I'll try to find something locally. Should I just ask for "organic" soil, or it'd be better to ask for specific qualities in the soil?
After making the suggested soil mix, should I be ready to immediately transfer the medium to the pots and start planting, or do I have the option to store the soil somewhere/somehow? Moreover, from what AdaminCO said, I understand that more nutrients will be needed along the way. How should I go about applying them when I already have the seeds planted?
I also have a question about the germination process. I've read that one way to do it is to place the seeds in water for about 12 hours and then transfer them to a damp paper towel. After that, when is the right time to plant? I saw some people say that after a little root has popped up on the back of the seeds, it's time to place it in the pot.
Appreciate the replies, will update the thread thoroughly :Namaste:
Happy 4/20 :peace::yummy::Rasta:

Look for ingredients such as:
  • Aged Bark
  • Bat Guano
  • Coco Coir
  • Perlite
  • Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Volcanic Ash
  • Worm Castings
Soil pH needs to be at 6.5. Most garden soil is. Watch out for soil that has wetting agents or that are preloaded with nutrients.

I float my seeds in a shot glass of regular water in the warm dark until I see a 1/4” or so tail, then I go straight into a jiffy pod or seedling soil about 1” deep tail pointed down into a solo cup.

If I don’t see a tail after 72 hours I’ll put it in wet napkin in a ziplock on top of the fridge.

@GeoFlora Nutrients seems like it’d be a good outdoor line you might look into. It’s a top feed every couple weeks. I brewed compost teas with mine but that’s a whole other pain in the ass. Lol.

This Auto was grown in just sandy loam on top of heavy gumbo clay added a couple 5gal pails of compost soil, couple handfuls of bone meal & blood meal. In late bloom gave a couple hits with Bud boom
It dropped seed & the second year grew by itself & was bigger
also as you can see from the pic it only got full sun in the afternoon

Look for ingredients such as:
  • Aged Bark
  • Bat Guano
  • Coco Coir
  • Perlite
  • Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Volcanic Ash
  • Worm Castings
Soil pH needs to be at 6.5. Most garden soil is. Watch out for soil that has wetting agents or that are preloaded with nutrients.

I float my seeds in a shot glass of regular water in the warm dark until I see a 1/4” or so tail, then I go straight into a jiffy pod or seedling soil about 1” deep tail pointed down into a solo cup.

If I don’t see a tail after 72 hours I’ll put it in wet napkin in a ziplock on top of the fridge.

@GeoFlora Nutrients seems like it’d be a good outdoor line you might look into. It’s a top feed every couple weeks. I brewed compost teas with mine but that’s a whole other pain in the ass. Lol.
When you say "Watch out for soil that has wetting agents or that are preloaded with nutrients" you mean that I should avoid it or go for such a soil?
Also, I don't know how feasible it would be to find soil with such ingredients in local seed gardens or shops but I'll certainly try searching.

"then I go straight into a jiffy pod or seedling soil about 1” deep tail pointed down into a solo cup" so after you see the tail pop up, you opt to place it in another medium for some time before transfering it to the pot itself I see. If I approach it like this, how long do you think I should wait before planting in the pot?

I'll also look into the particular nutrient brand you've been recommending.

Just found a local nutrient product with the following specifications:

Complete, organic fertilizer, 100% organic, for the stages of growth and flowering.
The mixture consists of guano powder, seaweed powder, palm ash, fish powder, volcanic ash and more.
• It is suitable for indoor and outdoor crops.
• It is suitable for all stages of growth of your plants.
• It has soil-improving properties and favors the development of beneficial microbial activity in the soil.
• In addition to the basic nutrients it provides a number of other trace elements and bio-organic substances (humic acids, amino acids, enzymes and others).
• Can be used on existing, perennial plants by simply adding to the top of the planting medium.
NPK composition: 2-5-3
Application:
• For a light lubrication program, mix half a liter (0.5L) of the product with 50 liters (50 L) of soil.
• For a medium fertilization program, mix one liter (1L) of the product with 50 liters (50 L) of soil.
• For a high-lubrication program, mix three liters (1L) of the product with 50 liters (50 L) of soil.
The product is available in the following packages:
• 500ml
• 1 L
• 3 L
• 22 L

Excuse me if some things don't make sense, it wasn't in English so I translated it :p

Well, I think I could theoretically plant straight into the ground even though the spot I've picked is a bit cluttered and nature needs some cleaning up over there, but I don't know the properties of the soil there and I personally don't think it is worth the risk.
I'm not sure what you mean. Is there a chance the soil has been contaminated or something?

Doesn't cannabis growth require a soil with specific properties? I'm not sure if the soil is contaminated or not, now that I think about it, it most definitely isn't since nature is pretty thriving over there, but shouldn't I just acquire a good organic soil like the previous replies said and enrich it with the recommended nutrients to be sure? That's why my plan was to plant in pots. How can I be sure that the soil of the spot I've picked is good for my Autos?

Doesn't cannabis growth require a soil with specific properties? I'm not sure if the soil is contaminated or not, now that I think about it, it most definitely isn't since nature is pretty thriving over there, but shouldn't I just acquire a good organic soil like the previous replies said and enrich it with the recommended nutrients to be sure? That's why my plan was to plant in pots. How can I be sure that the soil of the spot I've picked is good for my Autos?
The advice you're getting on the soil is great.
But growing outdoors straight in the ground doesn't have the same requirements as growing in pots.
Gotta run.

Are you saying that a better course of action would be to try and plant on the ground?
There is a benefit to digging a big hole putting in the best soil you can get and planting.

Do you want to water and feed constantly?
In the ground can be helpful for extra nutrients and water.
Gives roots more area to grow.
So some benefits.

Stay safe
Bill

My plan was to go there every day and inspect the growth of the plants, so if constant watering and feeding is needed, it shouldn't be a problem. The benefits you mentioned are pretty important. Do you know of any drawbacks of planting on the ground?

Are you saying that a better course of action would be to try and plant on the ground?
I wouldn't necessarily say it's better, but with more room for the roots to spread the plants get bigger, and they don't need to be watered as frequently.
There is a benefit to digging a big hole putting in the best soil you can get and planting.
This is probably the best plan. It makes sure the plant has what it needs until the roots can spread and find everything the plant needs.
The ingredients @AdaminCO brought up are also great for amending older garden soil.
My plan was to go there every day and inspect the growth of the plants, so if constant watering and feeding is needed, it shouldn't be a problem. The benefits you mentioned are pretty important. Do you know of any drawbacks of planting on the ground?
They can get huge, but that wouldn't be a problem with autos. You can't move them if something happens, or if someone finds them.

If the surrounding soil is clay or just crap .
Make sure of sun light and drainage because you can't move it like a pot.
Visibility from neighbors.
Probably others I can't think of.

Stay safe
Bill

You can't move them if something happens, or if someone finds them.
Yeah, I should have thought of that myself:p
I suppose I'll go with pots since constant watering shouldn't be a problem, I understand from the benefits you've mentioned that if you have a guaranteed place for yourself the best course of action is to plant on the ground, but since anything can happen in my case, I think it'd be better to at least have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom