Tunk's 3rd Aeroponics Attempt

Tunkers

One thing I've discovered since the day I said "Nuts to spending money on something I'm smart enough to grow myself!" is that it really doesn't matter how smart I might think I am, or how much I think I know or have learnt about growing, there is ALWAYS something to challenge you and make you rethink your process or ideas.

My first ever grow, like most peoples, didn't do too well. I assumed from all the word of mouth and general comments I had read regarding growing outdoors that it would be quite simple and nature would take care of most of the work. At the time, quality wasn't of concern. I was a casual toker and just wanted to save money and start a little home project.

My plant grew well. It was a giant Sativa that I had inside a bird aivery. I didn't check soil or anything, just kept it wet and protected. Aphids is what got to it in the end. And boy did they go to town. I managed to save some bud but had to cure too early, resulting in some pretty shitty weed. It was this moment I decided I'd invest more time in research and take a different approach. I wasn't going to let something that was supposed to be easy to do get the better of me.

So along came grow number 2...

After researching and weighing up my options, and because I like a good challenge (clearly) I decided to have a crack at Aeroponics. Hell, the astronauts can do it in space, surely I can do it on Earth! So I went for a cheap approach and made a bucket system. 1 air pump, 1 microjet sprinkler, 1 pale with lid, 1 net pot, nutes and the all important light. Real cheap, real easy. The only obstacles faced attempting this was monitoring everything. My setup was at a farm 15 minutes away. Not knowing if everything was working was difficult, so I used an old iPhone and setup a surveillance with an amazing app called Manything. Was awesome, alerted me when there was movement (light turning on/off) and I could hear whether the sprinkler was running or not.

420-magazine-mobile838508749.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2109658363.jpg

This grow would have done really well, if it hadn't turned out to be a male.. Mistake I made was gambling on seeds. No idea of strain, no idea of sex. Turned out to be a huge male Sativa which would have eventually struggled with the small LED light I had. Nevertheless, I remained persistent and scored a clone from a mate.

420-magazine-mobile647771500.jpg

A Nice little Indica cutting was exactly what I needed, but once again, even though I thought I had covered all bases by this time, the poor little girl didn't make it either. Plenty of light, PH perfect, inside away from the nasty pests, on constant monitor to ensure nothing goes wrong... But just because my grow was inside didn't mean it was resistant to pests.. So for the 2nd time my grow was destroyed by aphids. I also naively disregarded the temperature of my grow room. It is now Summer in Australia, and something I didn't have to contend with in the past was heat. The stress on the plant didn't help when I tried to eradicate the bug problem. So back to the drawing board I went....

Which brings me to my improved Aeroponics system and my third attempt. After brainstorming hard, it hit me. Using an old fridge hooked up to a heater / cooler thermostat set at 25C I can control the temperature precisely and isolate the plant from any threats. As of last night, the new setup is done and I got another clone of the delicious looking Indica I scored previously. I am still waiting for the thermostat to arrive so I can control the temperature exactly, but for the time being the fridge is running in conjunction with my sprinkler (15 minutes every 1.5hrs) on the lowest cool settings. Temp has been sitting between 18-28C so far and will adjust Power intervals through monitoring.

I'll upload photos of my entire setup with specs for anyone interested as soon as the Missus gets home from work. Here's a shot from my video feed inside the fridge at the moment. Any feedback or questions are warmly welcomed.

420-magazine-mobile1187625250.jpg

Had a crisis yesterday, hence delay in posting the setup. Not being able to react quickly to problems is going to be the downfall with aeroponics. Because I'm only running the fridge on a timer, and not controlled by thermostat yet, it needs to be adjusted to maintain a constant temperature. Yesterday it did not...

Because I could not get to the plant for most of the day, it has suffered. The heat got too much in the day between the powering intervals and several leaves from the base dried completely up and died and all other leaves are curled over. When I saw the poor thing I didn't want to go near it with a camera out of sadness.

I'm pleased to say that although it will probably effect my yield starting off on a back foot, I think I have the fridge at a reasonable temperature today and it is looking greener and less stressed. I'm hoping the humidity in the fridge will assist in leaf recovery. So at the moment I have the fridge and sprinklers going for 15 mins every hour most of the day / lights on and then 3 hour gap through the night / lights off. Temperature has been sitting around 20-25C most of the day so far.

Heres the photos of my setup so far
420-magazine-mobile1778246424.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1578809387.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1261990064.jpg

420-magazine-mobile529494872.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1337593468.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1418061552.jpg

So I fucked my fridge...

Decided to install an exhaust to remove and circulate air. Because the fridge runs from the top half, I thought best to install down low and found that the back of the fridge was best so off I drill and straight away I've hit a pipe and refridgerent is leaking out.. Nice.

Not only was there that drama, but I also get a notice from the local council that the power will be out at the residence I have the plant growing. So at the moment it is in my shed at home. Cant say the conditions are bad at all but not ideal. I would prefer to not grow on my private property if possible...

Anyway, will update when things get back to normal and I've come up with a solution to the absent fridge.

So things didn't get back to normal. Shed got too hot. Leaves withered and died. The roots developed nicely and could have done quite well in better conditions... Was lovely to receive my thermostat in the mail while this was going on.

Meanwhile, knowing that certain death was on the cards, I've been germinating a couple more seeds. It's all I have to start from at the moment but it at least gives me time to fix my grow room situation. I've been searching the local classifieds for fridges as I believe it was a great concept. Hopefully will have a new grow room and a new FEMALE plant growing. Will update with photos when I have something worth sharing.

Tunks 3rd Aeroponics Attempt

Good to see you're back at it. Those links didn't work for me but it could be because I'm using the app. I just finished building an aeroponics set up the other day for my next run. I love the concept. The fridge idea is cool! I've seen it done multiple times in the past with good success. Unfortunate about the first one. Live and learn though. I'll hang around and see how it goes! Happy Growing :)

Edit: the second one worked. :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Good to see you're back at it. Those links didn't work for me but it could be because I'm using the app. I just finished building an aeroponics set up the other day for my next run. I love the concept. The fridge idea is cool! I've seen it done multiple times in the past with good success. Unfortunate about the first one. Live and learn though. I'll hang around and see how it goes! Happy Growing :)

Edit: the second one worked. :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Yeah I was struggling because of the app too. Thanks for the support. I'll be sure to follow your aeroponics grow once it's going. I feel as though mine are not growing as well as I see so many on here at the same age. Do you think it is not enough light? Or lack of air? I always end up taking action when there's nothing to worry about but without anyone elses knowledge or opinion it becomes quite difficult haha

Sent from my Pixel using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom