Turn off the drip?

This is my first time growing in a Waterfarm (or water in general). I have a nice root bundle in the res now so I'm wondering if I should just get rid of the drip pump? I am running bubbles in the res also.

My only concern is the "bucket" filled with hydroton is so large I'm sure there are tons of roots wound around in there. They would be dry without the drip.

I'm a little confused on what to do here...

Thanks all, YD

:grinjoint:

Re: Turn off the drip??

i am not positive but i believe you take the pump out soon as the roots hang in the water in the res. is the hole bucket full of hydroton or the net pot?

This is my first time growing in a Waterfarm (or water in general). I have a nice root bundle in the res now so I'm wondering if I should just get rid of the drip pump? I am running bubbles in the res also.

My only concern is the "bucket" filled with hydroton is so large I'm sure there are tons of roots wound around in there. They would be dry without the drip.

I'm a little confused on what to do here...

Thanks all, YD

:grinjoint:

with the air pump the bubbles will hydrate the netpot and hydroton pretty thoroughly. I think with the waterfarm you should follow what the directions tell you though.

I'd keep the drip on... unless you have heat issues removing the h2o pump will drop the temp a few deg.

The hydrofarm aint meant to fill the entire bucket up with hydroton...just the net cup...

lol I'm a little dumb but not stupid bro...I didn't fill the whole thing with hydroton . The top bucket gets filled with the media, the bottom bucket is the res. There is no net cup in the waterfarm.

you have the ebb & flow right? it is ok for the roots to dry out as long as your bucket fills back up to feed the roots. how many times a day do you feed your girls? i think 3 or 4 times a day for 15 to 20 min. is what i have seen recommended.

You leave both running throughout the entire grow... The roots suspended above the water need the drip to stay hydrated enough not to dry out.

Follow JonnyT's advice. The waterfarm buckets do not have a water pump, they use air pressure to force water up and drip down. If it is a bone stock waterfarm never turn the air pump off, since that is how it drips and bubbles. Now you can add extra bubbles to the bucket if you please. Remember that grow stones are very porous and hold more air then water. I think someone at one point mentioned or I read, how much air is still in saturated rockwool and when rockwool is done dripping it is still more then 50% air (if I remember correctly), but what I am getting at with a stock waterfarm there is no way anything can be overwatered, so leave the air pump on 24/7 until the plant is dead.

I added an air pump to it from the beginning so the water would have a lot of oxygen. My issue was when the roots hit the res and I was running the drip 24/7 the plant started showing signs of over watering. Then I cut the drip to 30 min/30 min off, that made the plant perk back up. I still was not sure, that's why I posted my question. GH says "for moisture loving plants, run all the time". Is marijuana a moisture loving plant?

Either way the waterfarm is not in use now, I cut the plant that was in it.

Thanks for all the input all!

like I said before the temp will raise a few degrees with the water pump - plus it becomes unnecessary when the mass is in the water. marijuana is an everything plant - to the extreme.

then again waterfarm doesn't use a real water pump - just air pressure provided by the pump.

Back
Top Bottom