Two of them: Tips and tricks re watering and air pots

Tedmarx38

In the giving it back spirit since I’ve gained so much knowledge here, a couple of suggestions:

1. Canning rings RULE. I’ve tried all sorts of techniques to prevent the bags from wicking up water from the overflow trays, and it’s a real challenge for those of us too lazy to suck it up with a shop vac each time. If any bit of the bag sinks into the water, you’ve got a real problem. The best trick I’ve found is lining the tray all around with standard size canning rings. They give you a half inch impenetrable lift.

2. One small oscillating fan at the bottom SAVES THE DAY. As some have said, water collects at the bottom of these pots irrespective of techniques such as the above. Combine that with roots tending to seek the bottom and you increase the risk of root rot. So, I placed a small fan at the bottom of the tent and let it oscillate, and run it only for 24 hours after watering. Works wonders! My most recent plants had roots uniformly spread throughout the container and it’s the best grow I’ve ever had.

Hope it helps.

The only problem is that canning rings eventually rust. Short term, it's fine to use them, but long term you'd be better off to find a different material, something water can't hurt.

I have used all sorts of random things to lift pots out of the water, just make sure it is waterproof or at least water resistant. (things like bricks, stones, marbles, dice, foam box inserts, or you can also put something along the lines of dowels or shelf-racks over the top of the drip tray vs inside ...so many options)

Back
Top Bottom