Un-Lucky Queen 12/12 Hempy

howdy doc, thought id come see how things were going. Is that 5 of 20 up so far?.... sending some luck your way bud.

As of this morning, 5 of 23 have come up. There's two more cups not in the picture.

Cees says to soak them for 50-55 hours, then plant them. After planting 50-55 hours till they pop.

So...110 hours=just under 5 days. They were soaked last Wednesday, so today they should have come up.

We'll see.

Just 5 plants isn't going to yield much with a 12/12 grow.

Maybe if no more sprout, you could go with plan B and sprout a few of some other strain.

The problem is I have a week long vacation scheduled in June....
I may just grow these out, and if I have males and females make some seeds.

Also, interesting note, those who followed my last journal may recall my experiment:

I took a 3 day old clone and planted it in FFOF with 50% perlite, started it right off on 12/12. I used Osmocote 14/14/14 for fert, (it's time released, lasts for months) and held it under the faucet for watering.
The clone was crazy healthy and frosty.

Well, it yielded just under 1/4 ounce of prime sticky, gorgeous bud.

I smoked some last night for the first time, and it had the best flavor of anything I've ever smoked.....delicious! Very potent as well.

So, what I may do with this grow, especially if no more seeds come up, is grow them all in time released nutes and let them seed.

I don't want to expend much energy on this grow if I have fewer than 15 or so plants. We'll see.

I may also decide to pop some more seeds tonite.....you know how it is.

Lots of good ideas and options.

Thanks for the report on the clone with the time-release nutes! That is very encouraging indeed!

I can't remember, did you use Osmocote, because I remember you saying it didn't have micros.

The Osmocote I used was what I had laying around the house. I've used it in the vegetable garden and in the flower garden. When I bought it, I didn't know nuthin' about micronutes......hell I thought a "nute" was like a salamander. All I did was grow plants then.

Then, I researched growing our most loved plant.....and spent tons of money on "nutes."

Now, I'm hoping to come full circle and grow using simple, time released ferts again.

The clone passed the taste, potency and yield test. The ease of growing was perfect.....

With a few soil tweaks I'm confident I can grow as well as any expensive product out there.

It remains to be seen how they grow in perlite/turface etc. We should be able to answer that question on this grow......I hope.

Here's the thing....as long as you have a solid base fert, like Osmocote or Dynamite, the plants will NEVER have a deficiency or lockout. If you want to supplement them a bit, you certainly can do so.....but a couple bottles of this and that could last for many months, as the plants might only need one or two doses of PK boost, etc. The time released stuff does the rest.

As far as taste goes, the clone tastes better than the Casey Jones and MK, both of which had long flushed with Final Phase. I might also add that CJ and MK also taste fabulous after a short cure.

I'm gonna set you up with some samples and you can come to your own conclusions!

Hey Doc, glad to see another journal so fast. I have only germed seeds twice so not much experience,but this is what happened to me. the first time, I put them in water til they all sank. (bout 36 hours) Then I put them in hempy cups with a clear cup inside a red one so I could look at the root development. 4 out of 13 came up so I did 9 more. I let them soak til they cracked and showed a tap root. I put them in the same kind of cups and got 7 out of 9. of the 10 that made it into veg, 7 were female! I'm sure that was just luck, it was just some bagseed to see if I could grow some bud. I love the time release idea and will be curious to see how they work with hempys, have you decided how you are going to put the nutes in the hempys yet?:peace:

I hope No Mercy corrects that situation.

That blows.

I'd think the ones that sunk would be good or at least have a chance.

Are you using the mini-Hempy cups and then transplanting?

Well, I suppose I can talk now.

I emailed Cees, the owner of No Mercy, and a sponsor of this website.

After telling him my story, he said, basically that he didn't believe me and that I need to learn to germinate seeds.

He didn't say, "Well your method is wrong, here's why it didn't work."
He merely said he didn't believe me.

I responded and hopefully we can work something out, because I was very much looking forward to growing his strains.

I am a person that deals honestly. In my line of work, I talk to difficult, unhappy people all day long. It's my job to make them happy.

My first response is NEVER, "I don't believe you."

So sad.

I'll talk to the folks here on the site and see what can be done.....they are a sponsor.

So far, I give No Mercy a D-. They're going to have to work to regain my trust. If they don't make this right, I'll not buy from them again, and I'll encourage everyone else I know to steer clear.

As of right now, 53 of the seeds I got from No Mercy have been germinated, with exactly 8 actually popping. These things will grow on wet paper towells for Pete's sake! Surely, something is wrong with these seeds.

And I certainly don't appreciate being told I don't know how to germinate seeds....and my friend doesn't like it either. He knows far more than I do.

wow, that just ain't right.

arguing over whether the seeds were viable or the germination method sound is one thing, but saying he doesn't believe you is basically calling you a liar.

that would not have gone over well with me either

Well, a sixth popped this morning, which makes it 6 out of 23, in a week's time.
Just to use up excess lumens, I've started soaking some Skunk#1xSour Diesel seeds.

The Skunk/Diesel are from my friend who couldn't get the No Mercy seeds to pop. He is a long time grower and breeder. His seeds were larger, sank to the bottom immediately. I'll put them in the cups tonite, and I expect them to germinate by Friday.

Oh, they were free and came with a guarantee....

So.....anyone thinking about getting seeds from No Mercy....buyer beware.

Where did you order these seeds from, one of the resellers or direct from No Mercy?

I have been doing a lot of reading on seeds lately and it turns out that many variables in influence viability and speed of germination. Be patient with the seeds, depending on how they were grown, cured and stored, they may take a some time to germinate. I read about a 2000 year old date palm someone excavated at a dig. It took a year to germinate.

I'm no expert on seeds and germination, these are just some tidbits I have picked up while researching. Interestingly, one breeder recommends low nutrient profiles for seeding plants. P/K boosters or any of that stuff are deemed detrimental to healthy seeds - the key is to imitate nature when growing for seed. Makes a lot of sense to me. Flowers may not be as big and resin covered but that is not the goal. This is probably good news for you since you want to do a seed run and don't want a lot of maintenance. This is probably the perfect time to experiment further with the time release "nutes".

Good luck with the remaining beans!

Where did you order these seeds from, one of the resellers or direct from No Mercy?

I have been doing a lot of reading on seeds lately and it turns out that many variables in influence viability and speed of germination. Be patient with the seeds, depending on how they were grown, cured and stored, they may take a some time to germinate. I read about a 2000 year old date palm someone excavated at a dig. It took a year to germinate.

I'm no expert on seeds and germination, these are just some tidbits I have picked up while researching. Interestingly, one breeder recommends low nutrient profiles for seeding plants. P/K boosters or any of that stuff are deemed detrimental to healthy seeds - the key is to imitate nature when growing for seed. Makes a lot of sense to me. Flowers may not be as big and resin covered but that is not the goal. This is probably good news for you since you want to do a seed run and don't want a lot of maintenance. This is probably the perfect time to experiment further with the time release "nutes".

Good luck with the remaining beans!

I bought them directly from No Mercy. The price was great, the service was good. The method of purchase was a bit odd....no credit cards allowed, had to to a bank transfer, which cost me 40 bucks....but even with that, the price was excellent.

I got the seeds in December of 2009.

They are obviously not going to germinate. After pre-soaking, they should come up in a week, and the No Mercy website says 50 hours.

What I don't appreciate is being called a liar when I email the breeder. I don't mind if he criticizes my methods, or sends more seeds, or blames it on the way they were stored....but to just come out and say, "I don't believe your story," is not gonna fly.

It's bad service, it's rude and it's wrong. I've got no more time for that crap.

Well, on my lunch hour I went to Home Depot, to see what they had in the way of time released ferts.

They had everything! Dynamite, Vigro, MG, Osmocote and some others.

I found Osmocote plus:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS 15-9-12
TOTAL NITROGEN (N)*. 15.00%
8.00% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
7.00% Nitrate Nitrogen
AVAILABLE PHOSPHATE (P2O5)*. 9.00%
SOLUBLE POTASH (K2O)*. 11.00%
CALCIUM (Ca)*. 1.90%
MAGNESIUM (Mg)*. 1.40%
0.70% Water Soluble Magnesium
SULFUR (S)*. 4.00%
4.00% Combined Sulfur
BORON (B)*. 0.02%
COPPER (Cu). 0.05%
0.05% Water Soluble Copper
IRON (Fe)*. 0.45%
0.42% Water Soluble Iron
0.03% Chelated Iron
MANGANESE (Mn)*. 0.06%
0.06% Water Soluble Manganese
MOLYBDENUM (Mo)*. 0.02%
ZINC (Zn) . 0.05%
0.019% Water Soluble Zinc*

As you can see, it has everything in it, and at good ratios for our beloved plants.

I'm going to use this stuff on this grow, in perhaps all but 5 or 6 plants, both in hempy and in soil.

Here's the best part. I got enough to cover 170 square feet for 6 months for 17.88. In other words, if I used this product exclusively, and grew 20 plants at a time, it would last for over 10 grow cycles.

Can't wait to see how it goes!

I got this stuff called "Mater Magic", by Dynamite.

It's an organic time-release fert that lasts for 3 months at I think 70F, so I suppose it could start getting a little weak towards the end, but I'm going to give it a shot on a future grow.

Can't wait to see how it goes!

I got this stuff called "Mater Magic", by Dynamite.

It's an organic time-release fert that lasts for 3 months at I think 70F, so I suppose it could start getting a little weak towards the end, but I'm going to give it a shot on a future grow.

I was looking for that! That would actually be ideal, as it would self flush, so to speak.

However, the taste on that SLH clone I grew with the Osmocote is so superior, I'm not the least bit worried about flushing.

I think the wretched taste comes in when we cram way too many salts into the plant. I did zero flushing on that clone and it's sublime.

I should be putting the skunk/diesel seeds in tonite. I'm going to plant them right in the same cups I used for the lucky queen, but off to the side. Then my germination methods will speak for themselves.

Well, another very sickly Lucky Queen came up today. I don't think it'll make it, but who knows?

I went ahead and planted 18 seeds right into the lucky queen cups, since those seeds are duds. Each seed sank to the bottom of the glass immediately. They're good seeds!
IMG_06001.JPG

I'm going to use this product on all but 4 plants. Of these 4 plants there will be one hempy and one soil of Lucky Queen and Skunk/Diesel (Skeezel? :smokin:) and I'll feed those with Advance nutrients Sensi Grow, Conisseur, Big Bud, etc.

Each plant will also be fed Hygrozyme and maybe some Sweet towards late flower.
IMG_06021.JPG

IMG_06012.JPG

I know it seems crazy to commit so much of my crop to an experiment with time released fertilizer, but I know this stuff works due to my last grow with a clone and growing vegetables and other plants. I worry more about my ability to properly mix nutrients from 3-6 bottles of products for a feeding.

With these, you just water. ;)

Back
Top Bottom