Un-Lucky Queen 12/12 Hempy

Well, things have definitely turned a corner....in a good way.

I had to cull one plant. The hermaphroditic tendencies were too great and I didn't want to spray it again....so it went to plant heaven, where it can be a tranny all day and night if that's what it wants to do.

The other plants mostly have gotten over the stunting that took place when I sprayed. A couple of them are looking normal now. Flower production was slowed, but it seems to be picking up.

I purposely tried to slow flower production by using lots of Superthrive after the spraying mishap. Did it work? I'm not sure....but the plants have recovered.

IMG_07975.JPG

Here's an Osmocote Hempy
IMG_07985.JPG

And here's a soil Osmocote:
IMG_08004.JPG

Here is the Advanced Nutrients Hempy:
IMG_08015.JPG

The Advanced hempy is in the foreground, lower right. What you see in the rest of the picture are the Osmocote hempys.
IMG_08023.JPG

Hopefully, all those leaves will start to produce some flowers. It looks like that's what will happen.

Again, I'm watering with tap water and hygrozyme, PH'd to about 6.0 for the Hempys....and the same thing PH'd to about 6.8 for the soil. I added Snowstorm today, at half dosage.

The Advanced Nutrient plants are getting Tap water, Hygrozyme, Connoisseur A and B, Big Bud and a bit of Hammerhead.....total PPM's about 800.

Here's another thing I noticed. Healthy plants have a strong smell. Mine stunk in a wonderful way, until I nearly killed them with my spraying mistake. Then, they lost a bit of that smell....now it is starting to come back.

A couple more observations and "rules" that I will employ from here on out:

1.)don't bother spraying hermies early in flower. Cull them instead.
2.)only spray the hermies....NOT the whole garden. You can always spray them later if they throw out male flowers.

By far, the most useful thing I have learned is that spending hundred of dollars on "nutes" is a bad idea, generally. The Osmocote works BETTER than the Advanced Nutrients or the Fox Farm that I've used before.

I think that some of the exotic additives could be an improvement over straight Osmocote....but I am skeptical. It would be a good experiment to test out the House and Garden line of additives with Osmocote base nutes against a control group of just Osmocote.

Then, of course there is the whole time factor to consider. I can water the whole garden in about 10 minutes, by hand, if all I have to do is get a bucket of water and throw some Hygrozyme and PH down in it.

The Osmocote plants don't have any deficiencies, neither do they have any burnt fan leaves.

The AN Hempy has some problems, while the AN soil looks pretty good....but not as good as the Osi's.

Save yer money folks! Buy those fancy additives if you wish, but use one of these time released products as base nutes.

Here's an Osmocote Hempy
IMG_07985.JPG

And here's a soil Osmocote:
IMG_08004.JPG

Save yer money folks! Buy those fancy additives if you wish, but use one of these time released products as base nutes.

What's up Doc?<G>

Thanks for taking the time to post this journal. Tons of good information from all parties.

To my eye, the hempy osmocotes look better than the soiled. Flatter leaves, consistent color... but then, my eyes are pretty worn LOL

Back when I grew outdoors, Osmocote was the high dollar stuff. Peter's would get you start to finish, with maybe a little Miracid for some molybdenum to fix curling leaves.

I had some ties to the agri-business, and saw that just cause a product made something bigger and more beautiful didn't mean it made that thing better for them that consumed it... it'll be interesting to see if your eyes light up when you do:ganjamon:

Reps for this thread (if I can)... and what kind of tini were you drinking when you drove your girls to the brink? I love 'em (tinis and girls), just want to know which ones don't mix:peace:

:nicethread:

What's up Doc?<G>

Thanks for taking the time to post this journal. Tons of good information from all parties.

To my eye, the hempy osmocotes look better than the soiled. Flatter leaves, consistent color... but then, my eyes are pretty worn LOL

Back when I grew outdoors, Osmocote was the high dollar stuff. Peter's would get you start to finish, with maybe a little Miracid for some molybdenum to fix curling leaves.

I had some ties to the agri-business, and saw that just cause a product made something bigger and more beautiful didn't mean it made that thing better for them that consumed it... it'll be interesting to see if your eyes light up when you do:ganjamon:

Reps for this thread (if I can)... and what kind of tini were you drinking when you drove your girls to the brink? I love 'em (tinis and girls), just want to know which ones don't mix:peace:

:nicethread:

Welcome to my journal! Thanks for stopping by.

I had 2 Belvedere Martini's, the ice was bathed in dry Vermouth, then the Vermouth was poured off quickly. Add the Vodka, shake it up with the ice, pour into the glass and add 2 olives. Don't shake the olives dry, just put 'em in.

Unbefreakinleivably delicious! So good, I got the parts mixed up on the Reverse.....

Regarding Osmocote and taste, the reason I am doing this grow like this is because on my last grow I took a clone and abused it, putting it into soil before it was rooted well, the soil had Osmocote, and I watered it with non-PH'd tap water.

It was the healthiest plant in my garden, had the most crystals and the best taste, smell and potency.

After I saw that, I decided to try a whole grow with this stuff....and I'm very happy about the results.

Today's Osmocote is even better than the stuff from yesteryear.

Regarding the Hempy vs the soily....right now the Hempys are looking better, since the roots have found the bottom. That is typical....plants grow bigger and faster in perlite. But I think they taste and smell better in soil.

Doc, on that plant you grew in CR nutes last grow - did it get any kind of flush or special preparation for harvest and how harsh / smooth was the smoke?

The reason I ask is that I am seeing such great results with the Osmocote on my outdoor plants I am considering cutting out the GH and finishing the last three weeks of the indoor grow with Osmocote - actually maybe I will do half of the plants this way and be able to compare.

Welcome to my journal! Thanks for stopping by.

I had 2 Belvedere Martini's, the ice was bathed in dry Vermouth, then the Vermouth was poured off quickly. Add the Vodka, shake it up with the ice, pour into the glass and add 2 olives. Don't shake the olives dry, just put 'em in.

Unbefreakinleivably delicious! So good, I got the parts mixed up on the Reverse.....

I understand now, how you you were cornfused... you needed some Hendrik's gin and a twist for clarity<G>

[/QUOTE]Regarding the Hempy vs the soily....right now the Hempys are looking better, since the roots have found the bottom. That is typical....plants grow bigger and faster in perlite. But I think they taste and smell better in soil.[/QUOTE]

Dang, I went to Trader Joe's over the weekend and wiped out their flower pots, and the local grow store is looking for extra chunky perlite. I've read a lot about molasses, think that would help the hempy taste, or just foul up the bucket? I'm ready to drill it:ganjamon:

Careful with anything organic in there. I would use an air stone and have the micro herd built up strong before putting organics into a hempy. Maybe Doc has another opinion...

I understand now, how you you were cornfused... you needed some Hendrik's gin and a twist for clarity<G>
Regarding the Hempy vs the soily....right now the Hempys are looking better, since the roots have found the bottom. That is typical....plants grow bigger and faster in perlite. But I think they taste and smell better in soil.[/QUOTE]

Dang, I went to Trader Joe's over the weekend and wiped out their flower pots, and the local grow store is looking for extra chunky perlite. I've read a lot about molasses, think that would help the hempy taste, or just foul up the bucket? I'm ready to drill it:ganjamon:[/QUOTE]

I like vodka martini's better than gin....but that might be only because I've never had a really good gin.

I tried molasses on my first grow.....on my second I didn't use it, but used Botanicare Sweet instead. As far as I know, it didn't cause any problems, but I don't know how or why it would work, as there really isn't any sort of colony of bacteria/funghi built up in the hempy bucket to break it down.

So....let's just repeat the Hempy creed, shall we?

Just drill a hole in the damn bucket, put some perlite and start growing some plants! :ganjamon:

Careful with anything organic in there. I would use an air stone and have the micro herd built up strong before putting organics into a hempy. Maybe Doc has another opinion...

I think you've got it right, bro!

Doc, on that plant you grew in CR nutes last grow - did it get any kind of flush or special preparation for harvest and how harsh / smooth was the smoke?

The reason I ask is that I am seeing such great results with the Osmocote on my outdoor plants I am considering cutting out the GH and finishing the last three weeks of the indoor grow with Osmocote - actually maybe I will do half of the plants this way and be able to compare.

Regarding taste:

I did not flush the soil clone I grew in Osmocote and the taste was and is sublime. If you think about it, there is no need to flush it, the nutes are never more than about 400 ppm at any given time. All you have to do is not water for a while and no nutes are released.

The taste wasn't just smooth....it was delicious.

your comparison idea is fantastic.

I think you're on to something there doc; theres got to be a reason those 'everyday' nutes are still around....cuz they work! cannabis just doesn't usually need the flogging you can give em with good old MG etc i think....Marketing is a big business no matter what eh.....I like just using good rich soil, and only feed as they need. Maybe im just lazy tho!
Looking good, hope theyre cranking again after theyre sex-spray!

I think you're on to something there doc; theres got to be a reason those 'everyday' nutes are still around....cuz they work! cannabis just doesn't usually need the flogging you can give em with good old MG etc i think....Marketing is a big business no matter what eh.....I like just using good rich soil, and only feed as they need. Maybe im just lazy tho!
Looking good, hope theyre cranking again after theyre sex-spray!

yep. I agree.
More to the point, those time released products are growing in use and have gotten much better. Here's a line that are widely used in commercial farming and horticulture:

Harrell's – Professional Fertilizer Solutions Products

They have so many products, I'll bet a person who really knew their stuff could choose one of their formulas that are literally perfect for our beloved plant.

Oh....a 50 pound bag costs under 60 bucks. Everyone I know who grows could share a 50 pound bag for about 10 years.....

Slimm... I'm not exactly clear on the micro herd. If I'm doing hempy, where do I round 'em up? The culture will stay in the perlite?

Also, on the air stone... in the hempy bucket?

I can't believe how much I don't know about this...:peace:

<I like vodka martini's better than gin....but that might be only because I've never had a really good gin.>

Ahhh, Hendrik's gin w/ an infusion of cucumbers and rose petals... very sexy.

<So....let's just repeat the Hempy creed, shall we?

Just drill a hole in the damn bucket, put some perlite and start growing some plants!>

I've got my drill charged up, and a sharp brad point 7/16s at the ready... come on chunky perlite, ha.

Slimm... I'm not exactly clear on the micro herd. If I'm doing hempy, where do I round 'em up? The culture will stay in the perlite?

Also, on the air stone... in the hempy bucket?

I can't believe how much I don't know about this...:peace:

There is no need for an airstone in the bucket. I think slimm means mix up a nute solution and let it bubble a bit before watering with it.

There is no standing water in a hempy bucket.

Thanks for clearing that up<G> I didn't think so, but things have changed so much since I last grew... I mean, look where Osmocote has come LOL!

There is no need for an airstone in the bucket. I think slimm means mix up a nute solution and let it bubble a bit before watering with it.

There is no standing water in a hempy bucket.

My comment about the micro herd and the air stone were in response to a comment about the feasability of organics in hempy buckets. With my hempies I use no air stones in the bucket, I use them in my mixing res. I add beneficial microbes and humic acid to the media. They colonize the media and the roots, and are fed by the plants. One day I would like to brew a tea to feed them as well.

Doc, unless your media has tremendous wicking capability there will be standing water in the bucket at times. Right after watering for instance. It is for this reason that I play it extra safe and add H2O2 every time I feed or water.

My comment about the micro herd and the air stone were in response to a comment about the feasability of organics in hempy buckets. With my hempies I use no air stones in the bucket, I use them in my mixing res. I add beneficial microbes and humic acid to the media. They colonize the media and the roots, and are fed by the plants. One day I would like to brew a tea to feed them as well.

Doc, unless your media has tremendous wicking capability there will be standing water in the bucket at times. Right after watering for instance. It is for this reason that I play it extra safe and add H2O2 every time I feed or water.

Thanks Slimm, I'm taking notes... well, stickies<G>

Back
Top Bottom