Under or Over Nuted?

Jamers

The two plants on the left (the bigger ones) were started a 2 weeks ? or so earlier (not exactly sure as they were given to me) the ones on the right I started.
Left is OG kush (supposedly) Right is Northern Lights

EC 650 Ph 5.8 Water Temp 63
DIY RDWC system, DNF GRO Nutes
80L RO water with 15L Tap water to help buffer the PH

RH 40% Air Temps 78 Under the light is 26C
1000W Digital MH blub turned down to 75%

I am assuming the ones on the right are over nuted and the ones on the left are a little under nuted ?
The ones on the left have a few small spots and the edges of the leaves are curling The ones on the right are pretty fucked as u can see, spotty yellowing etc not looking good.

I had the EC lower last week and they both looked terrible so i upped the EC and now the ones on the left look better and the right are still bad possibly getting worse

Perhaps the different strains need different EC values or the smaller ones are just over nuted ?
EC of 650 is pretty low so im struggling to believe they are Over Nuted however i have been wrong many times before lol

Any suggestions would be great

Optimized-20121201_193249.jpg

Re: Under or Over Nuted ?

I would agree according to their chart however in past experience they always seem to call for way too high of an EC, (probably so that you use more of their product lol)
I think they also assume you are growing from clones not form seed, but i may be wrong about that

It seemed like the ones on the right got worse once i upped the ppm but its hard to say as it takes a few days to show any changes

Guess ill try a res change and upping the EC to 1000 and see what happens?

Almost all feeding charts are instructed for RO water. And yes I would say it is possibly they have you use more then you need, not always but definitely possible.

The two on the right are different strains too, right? Could be possible they require more cal-mag then the others.

Yea the two on the right are different strains
I was thinking that too maybe they need a different amount of nutes or different amount of something
Or maybe the big ones are stealing all the nutes as their root system is substantially larger and more developed LOL ! ;)
Im using cal mag at 5ml/gallon of RO water

Guess all i can do is try a change out and bring the EC up to 1000 and see if they get better or worse

On another note I have heard that you cant take an accurate EC reading from the RES once the water has been in contact with the root system, do u know anything about this ?
Im using a tri meter

ur ph is out on the right plants or u just have plain cal mag deficiency. the lighter colour usually means under fed, however if u have a ph issue u can put all the feed u want in and the lock out will show as being underfed due to inability to uptake certain nutes. give them water ph'd at 5.4 for a day (im assuming this is dwc?) then add base nute at 1.4ec, ph 5.4. Ph for hydro is 5.2-5.6 in veg and 5.6-6.0 in flower.

Roots obviously affect ec as they are taking up nutrient and water. it will change depending on what the plants needs are, thats why u may need to top up with ph'd water or nutes throughout the week. Ive not heard of ec being affected just by toucing roots though, not instantly.

They are all sitting in the same water, so probably not the PH ? I added cal mag at 5ml/gallon, perhaps they need more then ?
Yea its DWC (there is a small res connected to the main one with a pump in it which recirculates the water through a chiller)

The EC had been dropping all week so seems like they need more Nutrients
EC drops as they are up taking nutrients correct?

:thanks:

Just mixed up a fresh batch of water EC 1000 PH 5.6, going to change it out and see what happens

yeah ec drop as plants take up nutes. Its prob a bad idea to run 2 diff strains in same recirc system, as they will have diff needs. Not saying it wont work but already u can see its a ball ache. i have vast experience growing so hear me out. I suggest either make seperate bucket for diff strains or pull the strain thats struggling now. Move the good plants side by side. u prob end up with better yield as it would get very cramped in that with 4 plants, just top them and train them and defoliate. and u will end up better off.

Yea i thought this might be a problem. Esp two different strains started at different times lol.
The two Kush were given to me before just as i germinated my seeds, 3 of 4 pop d and i didn't want to just throw them out so i figured id give it a go 2 and 2 ..........clearly not a great idea.

My last grow two died
So that's what i ended up doing anyway. Still ended up with a decent yield.

The room is 5ftx4ftx 8ft high so there is lots of space but yea it gets pretty crowded in there even with two as i grow them out pretty tall
Light is a 1000W HPS so seems like a bit of waste to only have two plants ? but I guess if i top and train them they will fill out the room
As u said seems like its gonna be a ball ache having the two strains

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated !

Looking much better :)
Swapped them around as which ever are on the right get a big more light as there closer to the blub (the MH blubs are so much shorter and HPS)

Both OG (the two on the right) FIM d and tied the NL (two on the left) both Topped

20121207_221901.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys, prob end up pulling two of the smaller ones to make space but ill leave em for now see how the do

Ph has drifted back to 5.9 i downed it a little but i dont like constantly downing the PH
Going to res change in a few days with a higher EC
EC went from 1200 down to 1000 now
Prob gonna nute up to close to 2000EC as per DNF chart
Thoughts ? Feelings? Suggestions ?

:thanks:

Yea good call 2000 seems a bit high
The last res change was 1200 and they liked that but doubling it seems aggressive

The chart says 2000 after 2 weeks and these are well past 2 weeks
Ill go with ur suggestion 1600

Ps your quick and helpful responses are much appreciated!
I have some other questions about adding C02
Im also interested in an auto dosing PH system(although the prices i have seen are pretty crazy) in the future
Should I post em up in ur grow thread ?
Cheers

feel free to post in my thread mate. i wouldnt go auto ph, just incase it messes up but also because its good for u to keep an eye and learn how they grow. u dont need co2 especially in dwc. i ran it for years and yes it increases veg growth but it makes end product less quality and doesnt increase yield. ive had the arguement alot on here, mainly new growers saying i wrong. but thats ok cos they can learn their way. its not worth the hassle and extra cost. a well ventilated exhausted room is far better.

Fair enough
Sounds like a hassle to me
Only reason we were thinking PH auto was because we are away for work every other month and have a friend looking after them who is even less experienced than our selves. But as usual the more complicated u make it the more shit there is to fuck up.

We had great results last time with out it (except 2 died from a wild Ph swing) and one went hermie from a light leak or something not 100% sure
I don't have many pics here's one of a nice dense nug
photo307.JPG

Hopefully things will improve with what we v learned

Back
Top Bottom