Unique Grow - Guerilla's Gusto Indoor First Time Grow HID 600W MH/HPS - 2013

hoopgang

Strain: Guerilla's Gusto non-feminized seeds
Lighting: 600W MH and HPS with dimmable digital ballast, Wing reflector + some natural light from skylight, going for 24/0 in the beginning since skylight complicates dark cycle. May move to basement for flowering.
Medium: No-name potting soil
Pot size: I have no plans to transplant, started each seed in 3-4 gallon pots, will go the whole way with those
Space: attic with skylight that opens a bit, (peak ceiling height is about 6'6" in a 4x4 area which is where I plan to limit the space to, large room that will need some sort of jerry-rigged enclosure for reflectivity, not going to splurge on a tent)
Ventilation: Currently none, skylight window opens about 25 degrees to allow air out/in and temp will be dropping soon (temperate climate), have a 16'' standing fan if things get too hot before summer ends, praying for no more heat waves as attic does get hot. Room is not enclosed...yet, so ballast guidelines about attics don't really apply.
Sensors: Currently none, will get something that measures temp. and humidity
Nutrients: will see how it goes, may end up using some veg, then flowering formula in the water, but apparently this strain doesn't really need any.
Main Challenges I foresee: Height (Outdoor Beast strain growing indoor), Temp (Attic is hottest part of house, no A/C, no good ways to actively vent.), Humidity (skylight will be open for ventilation, humidity falls in a couple of months)

Hello all, new to the forum and new to growing. This is my first time growing indoors for medical purposes, I thought I'd journal it since it's quite a unique grow and I will likely need some help/advice as I've only grown once before outside and the weed was mediocre (got me really high but it was super fluffy/light and was probably harvested too soon). This will be Guerilla's Gusto (a HARDY strain from Sensi Seeds, more indica than sativa from what I've read) grown indoors under HID (I had no choice on seeds, they were given to me by someone who went to Amsterdam)

I've got 10 seeds and 4 so far have popped open and are now in four 3.89G pots under the light waiting for first sprout, rest are still germing in paper towel (couple more have popped and I'm just waiting for a sign of a root). hope to sex quickly and end up with 4-5 ladies, If I get any more I'll stick the extras under cfls or possibly try outdoor start in august (I'm in a continental clim., first frost is late october, if that's extremely stupid let me know) My plan is to hopefully get as many as possible to sprout and fit them all under the light (in 3-4 gallon pots will be tough) until they're sexed, then toss males and concentrate on lighting and end up with 3-4 for flowering. I have no ventilation which kind of sucks but it's a large area and I figure a semi open skylight in the fall/winter will suck hot air out pretty well and I can probably position my decently powerful fan to blow air out the skylight, or push cooler air in if need be. I will update on temperature and humidity since these will be challenging to deal with.

I currently have no thermometer so I will update with Temp. asap. Light is currently about 80cm from the soil.

Re: Unique Grow- Guerilla's Gusto INDOOR first time grow HID 600W MH/HPS - 2013

btw, pics of setup will be coming soon.

had a reality check recently, no way in hell I'm fitting 9-10, 3-4 gallon pots under the 600W light, I'm going to put the rest in 1-2 L pots and transplant. It will be a nice experiment to see if the transplanted ones turn out a lot worse.

Welcome hoopgang.If you are going to use soil,I would recommend using a good name brand like Fox Farm.Have you tested your water.Very important you know the content,so you can adjust as neeeded.Will be watching and try to help you the best I can.:420:is the bestest.You have come to the right place my friend.Subbed. Thank you Jimmy6k

Welcome hoopgang.If you are going to use soil,I would recommend using a good name brand like Fox Farm.Have you tested your water.Very important you know the content,so you can adjust as neeeded.Will be watching and try to help you the best I can.:420:is the bestest.You have come to the right place my friend.Subbed. Thank you Jimmy6k

Thanks for the advice and the interest, it will be interesting to see if this skylight makes a difference as I've yet to see HID grow mixed with natural sun on any forums. I'm in a country where fox farm is not readily available and apparently customs always stops it at the border. I don't mean to sound rude but I dislike going to the pot growing stores, they overcharge a ton and usually don't take the time to understand your goals. I've got some veg and flower nutes from an outdoor grow a couple years ago, this strain doesn't need much nutes at all apparently since it's primed for guerilla grows but the next few pots i stick in I will try to add more perlite as i don't think I added enough to the first four big pots.

DSC011448.JPG
DSC011438.JPG
DSC011428.JPG
DSC011414.JPG

Hi guys. Here are the pics of the setup I promised, skylight is south facing, I'm hoping to fully enclose 3 sides with mylar or white painted particle board and leave the side near the skylight either 1/3, half, or fully open for ventilation and sun (remember I'm a noob so anyone who has any better ideas for ventilation I would really appreciate your thoughts, this will be an ad-hoc grow and input is more than welcome). I don't think we'll have any more major heatwaves so cooling shouldn't be too big an issue for the rest of the grow (I'm praying).

I currently have the 4 pots, but apparently a 600W is good for 4'x4', so I'm thinking I can fit at least 2-3 more pots in there. I have no idea how many females I'll get but 10 out of 10 germinated in the paper towel :). My plan for a bit of LST should hopefully max out the grow area even if I only get 2-3 females. Anyone know if 10/10 being males is even possible? that would suck...

Anyways I'm gonna sit back and wait for first sprout (it's been almost 24 hours since planting) so I'll update in a day or 2. We're going for at least 10 oz here so this should be interesting.

I should note if I haven't already mentioned it, this strain is an outdoor tree strain, so I don't know if that makes LST unfeasible or not but I'm gonna try it. I've done some research and it appears this is the first time anyones ever documented indoor of this strain.

NEW Thread Title should be "Tatooine Grow" (2 SUNS/LIGHT SOURCES)

Here is an update, the first four I planted have all sprouted. the next four I planted 1.5 days later has one sprout so far. I may go 10 for 10 which I didn't expect, maybe just luck (if I go 10 females I'll shit my self). last 2 are outside, I'll probably move them in now I'm confident about them getting reflected light.

DSC011529.JPG
DSC011476.JPG
DSC011504.JPG
DSC011486.JPG
DSC011499.JPG
DSC011466.JPG

I rigged a 4'x4' enclosure of white boards but I think it's making the plants even hotter. I also got a timer so I'm gonna set them to turn off for 6 hours at the hottest part of the day and let sunlight do the work. i set up a powerful fan to blow air at the skylight and hopefully pump hot air out of the enclosure and up out of the roof. it's too powerful to point at the enclosure it would probably knock it down. Had to raise the lights a bit as I'm super worried about the high temperature (about to 86 degrees when i put the thermometer at soil level) I also decided to block most of the skylight at night when it's coolest, even though this is a medical grow I don't want anyone getting any impressions and possible break in attempts, rep to maintain and all. The board on there can slide out so I'll take it off in the mornings and let the tatooine conditions continue (need to buy myself a darth vader bong).

Counting seeds and shipping I've now put about 300$ into this grow. I've got veg and flower nutes from a couple years ago so I don't foresee having to spend any more hopefully. It's a good amount of money so hopefully this works.

Re: Unique Grow- Guerilla's Gusto Indoor first time grow HID 600W MH/HPS - 2013

Day 3/4 (since I planted 2 different days). 2 runts are almost surely going to die, 8 more are doing well. Not sure if they're making good progress or not.

DSC011606.JPG
DSC011592.JPG
DSC011586.JPG
DSC011576.JPG
DSC011563.JPG
DSC011554.JPG
DSC011544.JPG

I moved the fan so they're getting direct airflow but the fan is quite powerful, so I moved it as far away from them as possible. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if it's bad to see the seedlings moving and almost resonating with the airflow. reinforced the enclosure with a ton of duct tape and praying it doesn't blow over. any ideas for a wimpy fan, hopefully under 20$?

I'm pissed about the temp., no matter what I do I can't seem to get them to consistently stay below 30 C, when the lights turn off they go back to around 25 but when they're on nothing I do seems to be able to get the temp down. I've put the thermometer directly under the light, is that the best place to position it? I could really use some help here guys. RH fluctuates from 25 to 50. Any comments on watering schedules now that they've sprouted would also be extremely helpful (I'm considering once every other day, but my gut tells me it might be once every 3 days)

Thanks for stopping by.

you can pick up a 6" clip on fan from Walmart for a small fan just for circulation. it is not bad for your seedlings to get air movement, you are looking for a fan speed that just moves the stems to strengthen the stems. you want to position your thermometer at plant height so you are able to judge the temperatures your plants are getting. I would put either some vapour barrier or other plastic beneath your plant pots if you are not using drip trays under your plant pots, you do not want mildew or mould getting into your carpeted grow area. I would lift your pots to feel how heavy they are before you water so you do not over water your plants.

awesome thanks for the tip. They seem to be moving the way you described, with the stem offsetting about 10 degrees in a kind of resonating motion. I do have drip trays and the humidity is pretty low up there (usually 25-30) but I will get a plastic sheet to stick under, I guess white coloured since it might help reflect heat and keep the ground area cooler...thanks for sticking with the thread and answering all my questions.

I'm gonna take a pic in the daytime on the weekend when I'm not at work that will show the effect of having lights and sun on at the same time. It's pretty cool you can see how the sunlight is much brighter than the HID so there's like a shadow but not a true shadow hence the Tatooine theme. I just read that the temp. being 86 is not such a bad thing, 90 is bad, so I'm feeling pretty optomistic about this, only real problems I see could come from the lame strain.

temp hit 34 today even with my 16'' fan straight on them. grolllll. the plants don't look bad yet, but I know it will get bad soon. do you guys know if it's bad for my wing reflector light to be shaking from the fan? it looks like a pretty cheapo light. I would like to turn the fan up but I'm worried I might damage the light from all the movement.

temp hasn't gone below 30 in a couple days (not 100% sure since I'm at work during the day when the lights go off and it's all skylight), appears to usually sit around 32 when the lights and fan are on. I guess I should have started these seeds a couple months later... i may have to change my timer so the HID is only on in the mornings and evenings, and let the skylight do the rest during the day, while keeping all lights off for 6 hours at night to let them cool down. damn attic is way hotter than I thought it would be and impossible to actively ventilate other than using fans (which don't work) or expensive a/c.

Would you guys think that option I just discussed with the evening/morning HIDs is better, or should I just switch to CFLs until it gets cooler and the plants get bigger? I'm watering lots since I hear that's the key to growing under high temps but this continuous heat without a rest period is probably not good. Thoughts anyone??

you can keep your plants in vegetative growth with Florescent Lights if your daytime temperature is so high, you probably do not need to be running your High Intensity Discharge light for such small seedlings. lift your pots and when they are light water again.

day 6/7, removed enclosure to get air flow. it was too hot and the plants are still small, I'll put it up again as soon as outside temperatures allow me to. it was either that or dim my ballast which might mess with the spectrum.

this is how it looks when direct sun is mixed with HID
DSC011662.JPG
DSC011673.JPG
DSC011725.JPG

haven't started with nutes yet, but this is what I'm gonna use starting in a week or 2.

DSC011731.JPG
DSC011743.JPG

absolutely no growth today on any of them so no point in posting pics. let's hope that's all due to the large pots and the root system getting established. That one in the pic above with the thermometer in it's bucket, I call Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel, it looks inbred or something. I've read the growth can drop off after a week as the roots play catch up but honestly this isn't a pro grow and so many things could be going wrong. I did soak them all yesterday for the first time making sure water dripped out of the bottom of every pot. I won't water for about a week now but the low amount of perlite in some of them definitely means they're wanting air, rookie mistake I won't make again.

I looked into getting cfls like you said KingJohnC, but I actually have none lying around the house, I'll try and grab some if I go by walmart but the ones that would be half decent for growing look expensive. (a 40W daylight bulb goes for 18$, I would need 6-8 of those I'm guessing)

at those costs a 125 watt Compact Florescent Light or a High Intensity Discharge light would provide more light and efficiency at lower costs.

I definitely am going to watch this one through. I have always wished to have the freedom to just 'grow' without any limitations (ex. stealth which comes with space issues). Anyway i am very interested on how this will go and how much you could potentially yield if at least half of those babies get to flowering. Good Luck Hoop:bongrip:

good to have you on board. I doubt it will yield a huge amount. I'm going more for quality than quanitity since it's all for personal use and my main goal is to just have fun. I was considering trying to grow some tomatoes first as a practice run actually.

Back
Top Bottom