Update: Rachel Hoffman Investigator's Firing Case Bound For Arbitration

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
An arbiter will decide whether former Tallahassee Police Investigator Ryan Pender gets his job back.

He was fired in September for his role in the drug sting that led to the death of 23-year-old confidential informant Rachel Hoffman. The city has denied Pender's request to be reinstated with back pay and benefits.

Pender's attorney, Paul Villeneuve, received the grievance denial letter late Friday. He has 15 days to notify the city of Pender's intent to seek arbitration.

"We look forward to the next stage and hope that we get a level playing field where we can debate the merits of this entire thing," Villeneuve said Monday.

Under police-union rules, the city and Pender must agree on an arbiter who will make a final decision. Villeneuve expects a hearing in the spring.

Hoffman, a recent Florida State graduate, became a confidential informant after TPD officers found drugs in her apartment in April. She was killed in May when a planned bust went awry.

Pender, who had recruited her, was the only officer fired for his role in the case. Four senior officers were suspended for two weeks without pay.

One of those officers, Sgt. Rod Looney, is fighting his suspension and seeking back pay and benefits. His grievance was also denied Friday. He has 15 days to request arbitration.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Tallahassee Democrat (FL)
Copyright: 2008 Tallahassee Democrat
Contact: tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Contact Us | Tallahassee Democrat
Website: tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat | Tallahassee news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Tallahassee, FL
Author: Jennifer Portman

I had understood that it was the female supervisor (can't remember the name) that signed off of the ridiculously ill planned buy that got Rachael killed.

I'm hoping there's accountability there at the end of the day.

what a sad waste of human life. I hate Police - Honest Statement. I have been robbed twice in my life both times i was doing nothing illegal in my home and electronics, cash and jewelry were stollen each time. I hate the police they are pigs and I will never allow one in my house or speak to one with respect. neither time did i call the oinkers but both times using my nanny cams i have hidden throughout the house i hired a private investigator and both times i found the person who robbed me and robbed all my shit back aswell as their shit to teach them a lesson. POLICE = GARBAGE .
P.S - I learned my lesson the 2nd time and now have a high grade professional security system *beat that theives*

Back
Top Bottom