USB scope hard to read?

jokerlola

It might just be me but I find it hard to distinguish clear to cloudy trichomes with my USB Scope. Going purely by the trichomes they still don't look ready to me but they've been growing outside since June 1st. They started flowering around the first week of August.

Photo on 11-5-22 at 6.56 PM.jpg

Photo on 11-5-22 at 7.03 PM #2.jpg

Photo on 11-5-22 at 7.12 PM.jpg

Photo on 11-5-22 at 7.16 PM.jpg

Photo on 11-5-22 at 7.17 PM #2.jpg

none of the pics are clearly focused,, practice makes perfect,,

work on it friend,,

none of the pics are clearly focused,, practice makes perfect,,

work on it friend,,
They look mostly cloudy, don’t see any amber. The higher the magnification the less depth of field you”ll get.. looks like the scope moved as the picture was taken.
It's just the different depths of field. The trichomes on these plants have looked mostly cloudy since Sept. Even the sugar leaves have very few amber trichomes. I thought I was going to be harvesting by the end of Sept but I'm still waiting for some amber. The plants as a whole look totally done. Either it's the strain or the scope's light is too bright that it is washing out the ambers that could be there. I don't know. The strain is Phoenix Fire from Solfire Gardens but I can't find much info on the strain. It could be Sativa dominant but I don't know. Are there strains that turn cloudy but never turn amber?

I bought a small scope that clips onto my phone, but I found it almost impossible to get in focus. I went back with it and the guy told me many people find it better to just look thru the microscope with your eye and skip the phone part. I tried this and can see much better that way.

It's just the different depths of field. The trichomes on these plants have looked mostly cloudy since Sept. Even the sugar leaves have very few amber trichomes. I thought I was going to be harvesting by the end of Sept but I'm still waiting for some amber. The plants as a whole look totally done. Either it's the strain or the scope's light is too bright that it is washing out the ambers that could be there. I don't know. The strain is Phoenix Fire from Solfire Gardens but I can't find much info on the strain. It could be Sativa dominant but I don't know. Are there strains that turn cloudy but never turn amber?
I'm in the same boat. The buds look ready, pistols have all turned brown and dried up but the trichomes are still cloudy and some still look clear. Very few amber. I don't think your light would make amber look clear, when they are amber they are very noticeable. I was afraid I was leaving it too long so I cut half of it and left the other half still growing to see if I ever will get enough amber. That way I should get at least half of it right! Its a big plant so I have lots to play with.

I have had a few plants over the years that just never got any amber trichs, so as long as they're all cloudy, and the plant otherwise looks done, then it's fair game for the habeus yankus! I've tried waiting the plants out for amber and I usually end up with bud rot.

I'm in the same boat. The buds look ready, pistols have all turned brown and dried up but the trichomes are still cloudy and some still look clear. Very few amber. I don't think your light would make amber look clear, when they are amber they are very noticeable. I was afraid I was leaving it too long so I cut half of it and left the other half still growing to see if I ever will get enough amber. That way I should get at least half of it right! Its a big plant so I have lots to play with.
Yeah, my plants have had mostly cloudy trichomes since mid Sept or so and I thought I would be chopping in early October and here we are approaching the second week of November and through my scopes the trich's still look about the same. The plants themselves keep looking more done. They've gone mostly purple and fan leaves are continuing to shrivel. They are not big plants. They are in 5 gallon Smart Pots. I've been trying to go by how much they are drinking as well and they're drinking hadn't really slowed down except by maybe a day or 2 but that could likely be because it is cooler. I've been continuing to feed them as well. I think the drinking is finally slowing down. I've been having to bring them inside at night because of the cold temps and now the days are starting to have low temps, (we had our first snow 2 days ago), so I'm running out of weather and I don't think they can get enough sun just from my windows so I'm getting to the point of having to chop no matter what. I'm guess this strain is Sativa dominant and not the best for my climate for outdoor growing but they were free seeds and I decided to try them this year.

I have 2 USB scopes; the Zoomy 2.0 (Looks like a purple ball) which I took those pics with and a new one I bought from Amazon that has terrible resolution. I've been using the Zoomy for about 5 years and it's not that great and it's hard to distinguish between clear to cloudy trichs but it usually shows me the ambers.

8FCA5696-5A56-449C-B6CB-A5A8453FE34F.jpeg

7357B639-6E4C-463D-9469-F5F3E28BD7E0.jpeg

687B8F91-8B6D-4B5F-97AE-6051957DBE25.jpeg

0C8705AB-F134-4F2C-9C59-E11658E1645B.jpeg

See my response here

If you're growing outside, trichome colour works differently. Check out this post by @BeezLuiz. Also, Nebula Haze lists some general rules about harvesting marijuana based on trichomes and the color of the hairs / pistils. If you follow these rules, you’ll know how to harvest weed perfectly every time!

1. If white “hairs” are almost all sticking straight out and trichomes are all still translucent (clear) then your plant is too young and not ready for harvest. Harvesting now will result in low yield and non-potent harvests.
  2. The beginning of the harvest window opens when your plant has mostly stopped growing new white “hairs” or pistils and at least 40% of the white hairs have darkened (turned brown/orange) and curled in.
  3. The highest level of THC is when many/most of the trichomes have turned milky white / cloudy (when viewed under a magnifier). Trichomes that are milky have the highest levels of THC are “ready to harvest” and contribute to more euphoric and psychoactive effects. At this point, 50-70% of the pistils have darkened.
  4. Some Sativa & Haze strains have trichomes that never really turn amber. If they’ve turned mostly white and don’t seem to be progressing further, it may be time to harvest!
  5. The most “couchlock” or sedating effect happens towards the end of the pot harvest window, when the trichomes have become a darker color (usually amber/gold). The best results from amber trichomes come from indica strains. The amber/yellow trichomes contribute to a ‘body high’. Some of the THC has converted into less psychoactive CBN, which has calming and anti-anxiety effects. With some strains, the trichomes will even turn red or purple! I like to harvest around when 20% have turned amber. At this point 70-90% of the pistils have darkened. Harvesting later will increase the sedating effects, but may also start reducing the psychoactive effects.
  6. When trichomes start looking grey or withered, the harvest window has passed, and buds will make you sleepy without many psychoactive effects. Usually it takes several weeks (4 or more) from the beginning of the harvest window for this to happen. It’s much easier to harvest too early than too late!
Want more of a speedy ‘in-your-head’ effect? Harvest your buds earlier, when only 40% of hairs have darkened and curled in and more than half of the trichomes are part clear/ part milky or mostly cloudy/milky.

For the “strongest” marijuana buds with the most psychoactive effects, and the highest levels of THC, harvest when almost all trichomes are cloudy/milky.

For more relaxing, anti-anxiety buds, wait until at least some of the milky / cloudy trichomes have darkened to amber. More amber = more relaxing, though the effects may be somewhat less psychoactive. Remember, curing your buds properly for at least 2 weeks to a month will also give them more of an anti-anxiety effect.

When growing your own marijuana plants, you can certainly sample buds off your plant at different stages to get an idea for what your preferences are. It’s okay to cut off pieces at a time! ~ Source ~

Back
Top Bottom