USB scope differences?

jokerlola

I have a couple of different USB scopes for my computer to view trichomes. I've had one called the Zoomy 2.0 but then there is a short in the cord so sometimes it won't work so I bought another kind from Amazon. Wouldn't you know it, the Zoomy now has been working fine since I got the new one, but I've noticed that they both don't seem to give me the same view. I can see some amber trichomes with the new scope which doesn't have as bright of an LED light. With the Zoomy, I see no amber trichomes. they all just look cloudy or clear, mostly cloudy. With the new one I see way more clears than with the Zoomy.

So are USB scopes really not a good way to view trichomes because the lights shining through the trichomes kind of distort what the trichomes really look like?

My USB scope does the same thing (so I don't even bother with it anymore) it doesn't "see" the amber.
I just use my old 15x loupe to check trichomes- it sees the amber just fine...and I don't have to plug it in :)
I think there probably are  good USB scopes, but mine isn't one of 'em...

My USB scope does the same thing (so I don't even bother with it anymore) it doesn't "see" the amber.
I just use my old 15x loupe to check trichomes- it sees the amber just fine...and I don't have to plug it in :)
I think there probably are  good USB scopes, but mine isn't one of 'em...
I think the trouble may be that the light from these cheap USB scopes is too bright and it makes it hard to tell of trichomes are cloudy or clear and may make ambers to appear clear. The latest one (#1) I bought has a dimmer light but the resolution is terrible. My old Zoomy 2.0 (#2) has better resolution but I think the light is too bright.

I need to find a different mode of looking at trichomes. I Have a 30X and 60X Jewelers Loupe but the LED light battery went dead and I can't get the little door unscrewed to replace it. Are the clip on smartphone scopes any good?

2E2AAD5D-6402-4B25-A30E-0C18D8DEB32B.jpeg

0C44572A-746D-4E35-8FE4-226568788AA3.jpeg

I can relate to that!
My close up vision has went to shit in the last couple of years but I have been trying to look at the trichomes with the loupe. The damn battery died for the LED light on the loupe and I can't get the little door unscrewed to change it but that would help me see better.

So are USB scopes really not a good way to view trichomes because the lights shining through the trichomes kind of distort what the trichomes really look like?
If you've got a good quality scope w/ camera, and you adjust the built-in LED light, you can get excellent trichome photos.

I actually had the cheap scope shown in your photo above, and found it to be poor quality, which prompted me to buy a Celestron scope, and I'm very happy with it...

1667809914373.png

I also take close-ups with my phone, which has an excellent macro lens.

Taken with my Celestron scope:
1667810061185.png

Taken with my phone camera:
1667810090750.png

When I'm just checking my plants out in the flower greenhouse, I use a hand-held mini microscope – the Carson MicroBrite Plus, on 60x.

If you've got a good quality scope w/ camera, and you adjust the built-in LED light, you can get excellent trichome photos.

I actually had the cheap scope shown in your photo above, and found it to be poor quality, which prompted me to buy a Celestron scope, and I'm very happy with it...

1667809914373.png

Taken with my Celestron scope:
1667810061185.png

Taken with my phone camera:
1667810090750.png

When I'm just checking my plants out in the flower greenhouse, I use a hand-held mini microscope – the Carson MicroBrite Plus, on 60x.
How much does that Celestron run? Is that phone picture just with the phone camera or with a magnifier clipped on? What kind of phone?

How much does that Celestron run? Is that phone picture just with the phone camera or with a magnifier clipped on? What kind of phone?
Check out current price on Amazon. Phone pic is with camera's macro lens, not clip-on. Redmi Note 10 Pro. Excellent quad cam.

Some more trichome shots here that I took recently:

Some more trichome shots here that I took recently:

Wow!

I have a Carson Microbright but I find it hard to hold still to view trichomes on a plant and the focus wheel on mine is hard to turn but on objects put on a table or desk, it works well.

Yeah, it's a badass macro lens! Main reason I bought the phone!

I think maybe we've discussed the Carson scope before. Anyway, what I do is pre-focus it by setting on the table and focusing on the threads in the table cloth. Then I use it to view the buds while on the plants, and focus just by making slight inward or outward movements. I've got the scope in my right hand, and gently holding the bud with my left hand. Left hand also helping steady the scope. LED light is oriented away from my body (i.e. "up"). It does take some practice, and I really only get brief glimpses of the trichomes, but it does work well enough. If I want a more thorough inspection, I'll clip off a small bud and bring inside to the table.

Back
Top Bottom