Using cat litter to dry buds in a paper bag

Phillybonker

I was thinking of layering the bottom of paper grocery bags with cat litter to draw moisture out of the air inside the paper bag and putting newspaper over the top of the cat litter then sitting my buds on the newspaper to separate the cat litter from the buds, then sealing the top of the paper grocery bag and venting it once a day.

I'm drying the buds in the bush under a tarp, it's going to be raining for four days soon and humidity is going to be around 85%, with temps averaging 20°C daytime / 16°C nighttime.

My question is - Do you think the cat litter will keep humidity low enough in the paper bag if I only put two inches of buds in each paper bag?

I was thinking of layering the bottom of paper grocery bags with cat litter to draw moisture out of the air inside the paper bag and putting newspaper over the top of the cat litter then sitting my buds on the newspaper to separate the cat litter from the buds, then sealing the top of the paper grocery bag and venting it once a day.

I'm drying the buds in the bush under a tarp, it's going to be raining for four days soon and humidity is going to be around 85%, with temps averaging 20°C daytime / 16°C nighttime.

My question is - Do you think the cat litter will keep humidity low enough in the paper bag if I only put two inches of buds in each paper bag?
Cat litter has some serious chem in it to neutralize cat's piss smell
Are you sure you wanna try this with bud?

I'm not sure of anything right now but my options are limited.

It's crystalized silica sand with an antibacterial agent in it, separated from the buds using newspaper as a barrier.

If it's the clear kind it's silica based and should be safe. People use it for all sorts of things. Cat litter needs to be safe for your cat so I bet it doesn't contain that many nasty things.

I'm not sure if it would work well for the intended purpose though? Interesting approach.

Cheers!

It sounds pretty feasible to me, assuming the litter isn't perfumed.
It only mentions silica and a antibacterial agent as the content so I assume it isn't perfumed.
If it was me tho, I'd probably spring for the food safe silica packets instead. I think they do have some pretty big ones, but idk the pricing, as I've really only ever purchased the little tiny ones.
Good idea, I'll remember to try silica packets next time but for now, times up for me, it's harvest time today or tomorrow.

I'm drying the buds in the bush under a tarp, it's going to be raining for four days soon and humidity is going to be around 85%,
Seal the paper bags in garbage bags or in totes, under the tarp
That way the silica will only be pulling moisture from the buds not the air
Check daily

It will likely also pull the moisture from the air if it is raining.
I was wondering about that. I tried to dry some buds outside, first in a cardboard box, it rained on the box, then in a paper bag, it rained on the paper bag, lost about 70% of the buds to mold. I learned not to trust the weatherman, he screwed up twice.

Anyway I've got 1.5 OZ's that made it against all odds and have been drying for 7 days and the buds can't be far off being ready for jarring.

Most of my plants are still out in the bush, harvest is today or tomorrow.
I recon your best bet would be to just keep the rain off of them.
You might right there, I'm going to be using a tarp. I'll use multiple paper bags, some with cat litter, some without cat litter.
Are there no friends around that would let you dry at theirs for a couple of buds?
Believe me I've thought of everything, but this is my only option.

Why not just put one them silica packets into a jar or a paper bag with your buds? It does the same thing without the mess and chems of something made for a cat to shit in. Think about it. That's like rinsing your hair with water from the park toilet.
Your right, but I'm out of time and can't get silica packets in my town, only online, by the time they arrive my buds will be already molded.

Don't forget to build a peak for the tarp so the rainwater runs off to the side like it does for a house roof.
Damn tarp makes too much noise flapping around in the wind. I'll be drying in a bush in an industrial area so got to be a little stealthy, might be alright and I'm just paranoid, however I think I'll just lay the tarp over the plastic bags, or just leave the plastic bags sitting on the ground as the plastic bags should keep the rain out, I'll see when I get to the area a bit later on.

Back
Top Bottom