Will buds dry in a paper bag?

dopeassjackson

just cut 1/3 of my crop this year and i think im going to dry it in a brown paper bag, i will mix it up once a day. you think they will dry like this? and im guessing it will take about 2 weeks depending on the humidity.

filled up 2 inches in the bottom of a brown grocery bag, 4 main stems, 4 tip buds

Since a friend turned me onto paper bag drying 15 years ago, I have dried well over 100 lbs. of buds that way. It is superior to hang-drying for several reasons.
I even have a post in the curing section detailing the method.

"put the paper bag in the oven (dont turn it on obviously) but ovens especially gas ovens have a very low humidity because of the piolet light... works wonders for drying stuff out.. takes about half the time.'

-The goal in drying is to slow-dry the buds. Slow drying makes the buds smoke less harsh.
P.S. a lot of ovens (made in the last 20 or so years) do not have pilot lights (they have ceramic ignitors).
Putting bags of weed in an oven with no pilot light means the buds will not dry in that small enclosed space and the buds will be ruined.
DON'T put bags of buds in a oven.

Why would you want to flavor it? If its nasty dirt weed maybe, but beautiful buds...:smokin:

I love the taste of mota.

I have always used the hang in the basement method of drying my weed but after reading about the paper bag I went to Aldi's and bought 12 bags and will give the bag drying method a try............. I'm still smoking 2005 weed and it seems as good today as a year ago...... I also have a small amout from 2002 and it is not any good............I always keep my weed in Ball jars

hello all:cheesygrinsmiley: i was thinking about bag drying myself.. can i put the buds in the bag after i cut it from the plant or do i have to hang it first?:hmmmm:

if i can, do i close's the top of the bag or do i leave it open? :hmmmm:

when u bag dry does ur buds taste better? is bag drying better than jar curing? thanks:cheesygrinsmiley:

from what I've read in these post...... the bag is for drying and the jar is for curing. The slower it takes to dry the better the taste........ so some of these post say.......... I put my harvest in bags 7 days ago I'm transferring to the jars tomorrow....... it's not super dry but I believe it's ready for the curing stage............. I wish I had only done part of my harvest this way because the hanging method always worked well for me........... but to late now............ I'll post how mine turned out in a few days........

As soon as I harvest I manicure the buds and stick them in a supermarket-type paper bag then fold the top over. Ideally the bag should be no more than 1/4 full.
How long it stays in the bag depends on the ambient humidity. Right now in my neck of the woods the humidity is very low; the buds are dry enough in 4--5 days.
I transfer the buds from the bag to the curing container when the buds are still a bit moist. Bone dry weed doesn't cure.

RangerDanger said:
As soon as I harvest I manicure the buds and stick them in a supermarket-type paper bag then fold the top over. Ideally the bag should be no more than 1/4 full.
How long it stays in the bag depends on the ambient humidity. Right now in my neck of the woods the humidity is very low; the buds are dry enough in 4--5 days.
I transfer the buds from the bag to the curing container when the buds are still a bit moist. Bone dry weed doesn't cure.
thanks R.D. i'm going to give it a try:cheesygrinsmiley:

Report.....................
about 4 hours ago I smoked a joint and took 5 hits............after a few minutes (creeper) the buzz started ....... buzzed really hard for about an hour (mind really wondering very relaxed) and now 4 hours later I haven't moved and I'm still in la-la-land ........it took me 20 min. to write this email...ha ha
compared to last years I'd say 8 out of 10 with last years being a 7...... (this is compared to my crops only) and if the taste improves with the later crop that was dried in a bag and is curing I'd score it a 9..............so I am saying it is a fine quality smoke with a very high, high...........but then I am prejudice.........also this smoke was hung dried and not bag dried........another report in a few days..............el

hello all:cheesygrinsmiley: my plants been hanging 4days now and it's fairly dry on the outside.... would it be safe to put my buds in the jars or will it mold? i know u have to burp the jars once's a day.. thanks:cheesygrinsmiley:

you want them a little moist not wet, dry but not bone dry........ put them in the jars and check on them everyday for a week or two then at least every one or two weeks and you should be ok.....................

thisbud4me said:
you want them a little moist not wet, dry but not bone dry........ put them in the jars and check on them everyday for a week or two then at least every one or two weeks and you should be ok.....................
thanks you:cheesygrinsmiley:

The main thing I have against hang drying is that the buds will feel crispy to the touch on the outside but still have a lot of moisture in the stem.
I suggest after jar-ing the buds you make your first check 8 hours after sealing them, just to be on the safe side. If they feel moister than when you put them in, they need more drying time.

RangerDanger said:
The main thing I have against hang drying is that the buds will feel crispy to the touch on the outside but still have a lot of moisture in the stem.
I suggest after jar-ing the buds you make your first check 8 hours after sealing them, just to be on the safe side. If they feel moister than when you put them in, they need more drying time.

thanks R.D. i'll check them in the morning.. if there still damp i'll put on some newspaper with a fan.. iv'e allready tryed a sample and it was great:cheesygrinsmiley: nice taste,burned good so i think it;s close:cheesygrinsmiley: :smokin:

For my first grow (just finished) I hung my buds in a ventilated box for 5 days. They were kinda crispy, as mentioned. Then I moved them into a paper bag for 2 days. They softened up and continued to dry.

Seems like the paper bag is like a nice transition from drying to curing.

Back
Top Bottom