Using soil as fertilizer

Canachris

My seedling is looking like she might want a little fertilizer. She will eventually go into a container of Coast of Maine Stonington blend. The cup of very weak soil I started her in has nothing left. can I mix like a table spoon of the Coast of Maine soil with a cup of water let steep an feed it to it ? I have no other nutes, just flowering nutes. and I'm not sure her roots are sturdy enough to transplant

20220627_150521.jpg

Certainly you could. Don't know how much value a tablespoon of soil steeped will provide, but it shouldn't hurt anything. I don't see much to indicate the plant is lacking nutes. BTW, just a hint, getting the leaves wet under the sun/lights can cause burn spots in the leaves. Plant looks good!

Certainly you could. Don't know how much value a tablespoon of soil steeped will provide, but it shouldn't hurt anything. I don't see much to indicate the plant is lacking nutes. BTW, just a hint, getting the leaves wet under the sun/lights can cause burn spots in the leaves. Plant looks good!
Thanks phytoplankton, they are under my week-ass LED'S. She wants bend over, she's had a fan on her since day 1

Her stalk looks bit odd an she flops over, while her 2 sisters stand tall. Can someone with good eyesight. Check out her stalk

20220627_183240.jpg

20220627_183211.jpg

This is called dampening off. It is a combination of watering too often and a bacteria in the soil that causes this. I find it rare that a seedling infected in this way survives. Good luck... and stop watering so much.
That it was a case of 'damping off' was my first thought. Now I am not so sure.

In his other msg about the young plant Chris mentioned that there was a fan blowing across the plant from day 1 which should have kept the stem and soil surface from constantly staying damp. The first photo of the plant was taken this morning and shows a mature seedling with several nodes already and standing up without a support. Unless the plant is resting on the edge of the Solo cup and the two leaves are touching enough to hold it up.

Usually 'damping off' causes that familiar shrinkage in the stem near the soil line and I don't see it. What it looks like to me is the area of the stem that looks funky is where the stem meets the top of the root and somehow all of that small area is above the soil.

We should know a lot more by tomorrow morning.

This is called dampening off. It is a combination of watering too often and a bacteria in the soil that causes this. I find it rare that a seedling infected in this way survives. Good luck... and stop watering so much.
Ok, an I'm going to up-pot her to night. will it hurt her if I sink her a bit or should I try an keep the soil off as much stalk as I can

That it was a case of 'damping off' was my first thought. Now I am not so sure.

In his other msg about the young plant Chris mentioned that there was a fan blowing across the plant from day 1 which should have kept the stem and soil surface from constantly staying damp. The first photo of the plant was taken this morning and shows a mature seedling with several nodes already and standing up without a support. Unless the plant is resting on the edge of the Solo cup and the two leaves are touching enough to hold it up.

Usually 'damping off' causes that familiar shrinkage in the stem near the soil line and I don't see it. What it looks like to me is the area of the stem that looks funky is where the stem meets the top of the root and somehow all of that small area is above the soil.

We should know a lot more by tomorrow morning.
It's in a 9 Oz cup and in a sunny window most of the day the top of the soil has stayed very dry.an I've never watered 2 days in a row,she was always very very light when I watered

She's looking much better this morning, last night just before lights out I put her cup in another cup with my soil/water mix and let the capillary action do its thing.

20220629_051157.jpg

20220629_051032.jpg

It's in a 9 Oz cup and in a sunny window most of the day the top of the soil has stayed very dry.an I've never watered 2 days in a row,she was always very very light when I watered
Just a little side note Keeping the soil surface from staying wet for long periods of time is so important in preventing 'damping off' disease. Hardly ever see the damping off problem in outdoor grown seedlings. If figure that is because there are almost constant breezes outside. They might only be 1 or 2 or 3 miles an hour which is hardly noticable but it is enough to keep the moisture on the stem and the soil surface low enough to prevent the problem.

The cup in cup trick worked, in 16 hrs she started sending roots out the bottom of the cup. I transplanted her in the 5 gal bucket, I think she'll be ok now

20220629_213058.jpg

20220629_213627.jpg

20220629_213630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom