W.Va. Sees Marijuana Seizure Record

Weedpipe

420 Member
The West Virginia State Police say they seized more than 222,600 marijuana plants in 2009, an all-time record.

Cpl. Michael Smith, who oversees the marijuana eradication program, says the street value of the plants is roughly $450 million.

The number of seizures has grown dramatically in recent years. In 2007, State Police eradicated some 44,000 plants. Last year, it was more than 140,000.

Smith says many of the plants are found in southern West Virginia, but this year State Police also confiscated a significant number of plants in the Eastern Panhandle.

West Virginia's climate and rural nature make it ideal for cultivating marijuana.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: phillyBurbs.com: Home
Copyright: 2009 Calkins Media
Website:PhillyBurbs.com: W.Va. sees marijuana seizure record

I didn't know ditch weed was worth over $2000 a plant. lol Wasn't West Virginia once home to huge hemp farms back in the days before the Fed went insane?

The cops ought to be forced to give some real numbers in reporting like this. If ten percent of those were really cannabis I'd be surprised. It's a lot easier and more spectacular to rip out tons of feral hemp and call it marijuana eradication. Gets more bucks for next year's budget so you can waste it all over again. And in these times of fiscal restraint as well. Tsk, tsk. Shame on them!

:peace:

Nope,there was never much of a hemp industry in WV except in it's Eastern Panhandle near DC.

I grew up in Southern WV. All the "wild" weed down there consists of old grows gone feral over 40 the past years.

Seizures going up there doesn't surprise me. The Air National Guard does most of that work in WV and they've been stuck in Iraq for 6 years. Now they're back.

My sister lives near a Guard staging area in So. WV's weed belt. She said helicopter activity in and out of the place was at mid-80's level this year. Dawn to dusk from August to October.

If the federal government recognized MMJ we would have a way of good source to help both people, and not give huge prescription pill companies cheaper rates and poverty to abuse. In my opinion it has probably the 3rd best sunlight in the world for cultivation. I am afraid if WeThePeople don't address and use our delegated powers to keep federal power limited, the road we all are going to face, is very frighting indeed..
(all this is opinionated and i am no way related to the press) Safety Procautions to Protect my 1st Amendment Rights.

Butcher,that WV weed has been heading up to Detroit since the mid-60's. Detroit has always been the main market for WV weed. I'd almost guarantee the first seedless weed to hit Detroit came from either WV or KY circa the early 70's.

back in the day it was the best around.i know first hand.it"s hard to compare *old school"to what they have now.today they have so many different strains,and for the most part it is all good.

I'm smoking one of the descendants of that weed now. It's mid's in quality these days but it's still got that basic creeper,long-lasting,screw you in your seat high.

It always got me that the best local bud got shipped to Detroit and us locals were left smoking the side bud and shake,lol.

At 20 bucks for a stuffed Ziplock bag it,I wasn't going to bitch much.

It was $450,000,000...broken down by grams (including stalks) at $25 per G. lol. Seriously though W.Va has a pretty poor economy, early education in many areas are terrible...might legalization with taxation help this state?

It's at the same latitude as Norcal w/ 6 month growing season,hot summers,gets 44-45 inches of rain a year,with an average of one moderate drought a decade The weed is excellent and there's a long history weed growing going back to the mid-60's.

WV was a big player in the domestic weed growing scene in the 70's and the 80's. What killed it off was property forfeitures enacted under new laws in the 80's. A lot of family farms there go back 200 plus years. It got to the point it wasn't worth the risk to grow weed and lose your family's land.

Still with all the corporate and public owned land in the state,it's one of the few states where weed is still primarily grown outdoors.

Hell,you plant any kind of decent seed in SW WV it's going to grow into weed that will glow in the dark w/ minimal tending.

Back
Top Bottom