Water

CC420710

I just wanted to go over some stuff I read and get your guys input on it? I read about aquarium water being really good fo my plants and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it as I have an aquarium I’m about to clean and debating on throwing it out or using on my girls?

I water my houseplants with my tank water. I wouldn't use it if you are using dechlorinators in it. A lot of them are toxic to humans as some of them contain formaldehyde or sodium thiosulfate. If you use vitamin C to dechlorinate it might be ok. Experience tells me that your plants might stink, my houseplants smell like stinky fish tank water if the soil gets warm while it's wet.
There is also the diet of your fish to consider. When plants are grown in an Aquaponics setting, the diet of the fish is closely monitored so the plants are getting all that they need.

I would follow the better safe than sorry line of thinking.

I water my houseplants with my tank water. I wouldn't use it if you are using dechlorinators in it. A lot of them are toxic to humans as some of them contain formaldehyde or sodium thiosulfate. If you use vitamin C to dechlorinate it might be ok. Experience tells me that your plants might stink, my houseplants smell like stinky fish tank water if the soil gets warm while it's wet.
There is also the diet of your fish to consider. When plants are grown in an Aquaponics setting, the diet of the fish is closely monitored so the plants are getting all that they need.

I would follow the better safe than sorry line of thinking.
Yeah the smell would suck didn’t think about that part. I don’t use anything other than filter and food in aquarium seems to work well. I also read something about water leftover from cooking being good but not eager to try it. I was just curious on the one being it has fish waste in it. I know worms poo is beneficial so thought maybe but the smell part detours me. I am however considering live worms in pots. Red wigglers of course and not till later when it cools off some I don’t want to kill them.

I was also going to mention that if you don't use gloves to clean your tank, you may want to consider getting some. There are a couple of diseases that can transfer from fish to humans. Tuberculosis is one of these and it enters through cuts or abrasions on your skin. There is also one called fish handler's disease and its nothing to mess with. I've know a few people who have contracted it. I don't tempt fate after seeing what happened to them.

Back
Top Bottom