Weak Stems

AgedMaster

What causes weak stems ive been tying my side stems down with string to side of pot and noticed 2 have popped off main stem so i supported there was a 3rd but its grown a knuckle already it happened to me last time i just supported until they grew knuckles

Sounds like you're bending too far at one time. Tie it down a little. Next day tie it down a little farther. Next day a little farther. Some plants grow stiffer branches & will snap if you don't do it little by little. Also, if you add Silica it will make your branches stronger.

Sounds like you're bending too far at one time. Tie it down a little. Next day tie it down a little farther. Next day a little farther. Some plants grow stiffer branches & will snap if you don't do it little by little. Also, if you add Silica it will make your branches stronger.
Hi pal thats probably it my other 2 plants have floppy easy to bend stems this one has rock hard stems i will take a look at silica can i feed whole grow or just veg and would i add before base nutes thanks

Hi pal thats probably it my other 2 plants have floppy easy to bend stems this one has rock hard stems i will take a look at silica can i feed whole grow or just veg and would i add before base nutes thanks
I use it through my entire grow. It goes in first before any other nutes when mixing.

Here's the pics its my lower down stems the ones at the top that are really bent are fine hopefully it grows a knuckle the leaves are still alive i also noticed bronzy brown patches on two fan leaves at the top further down the plant looks fine and new growth looks fine just the 2 fan leaves and my other 2 plants look fine anyone no what it could be i am currently feeding half strength nutes the bit with broken stem is top left of bottom pic
IMG_20230508_190906 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20230508_191629 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20230508_191642 - Copy.jpg

it also says this Silica will help to build stronger root systems and stems, whilst simultaneously reducing water loss through the leaves i don't no if it would help with water on leaves from transpiration that's why i started tying down
Usually, water drops on leaves indicate high temps. The plant puts out the water drops to cool itself down. Unfortunately, that can lead to mold or other issues. Are you using any oscillating fans ? A slight breeze going through the leaves of the plant will help a lot. If the leaves are justso thick you can't get airflow through the branches you may have to defoliate some of those leaves. I've experienced the very same issues you're having & this is how I solved them. There may be other ways to skin the same cat. But this worked for me.

Usually, water drops on leaves indicate high temps. The plant puts out the water drops to cool itself down. Unfortunately, that can lead to mold or other issues. Are you using any oscillating fans ? A slight breeze going through the leaves of the plant will help a lot. If the leaves are justso thick you can't get airflow through the branches you may have to defoliate some of those leaves. I've experienced the very same issues you're having & this is how I solved them. There may be other ways to skin the same cat. But this worked for me.
Hi pal i will get a oscillating fan today ive never used one before i also noticed a grass smell when lights go out it only happens when its a little chilly in the main room the tents in i also noticed i had the plant on a weight and feed was getting trapped in the centre gap so ive moved it i also couldn't train until it got a little bigger the fan leaves was huge at the start ive been training about ten days now here is a pic when it was smaller
IMG_20230422_185936 - Copy.jpg

Good morning @agedmaster. The silica is a must for your grow . I use it from first feeding through to the last. Always add to your solution first and let set for it to dissolve fully. Mine sets in a aerated bucket for a day before adding nutes. Does wonders for you whether super cropping or training.

Good morning @agedmaster. The silica is a must for your grow . I use it from first feeding through to the last. Always add to your solution first and let set for it to dissolve fully. Mine sets in a aerated bucket for a day before adding nutes. Does wonders for you whether super cropping or training.

Hi pal i have some on the way how much do u add m/l ive never trained a plant before i just let them grow normally i grew the same strain for years and the stems grew outwards then the past couple of strains the stems have grown close to main stem. That knot is insane how my stems are now that would have multiple kinks

Hi pal i have some on the way how much do u add m/l ive never trained a plant before i just let them grow normally i grew the same strain for years and the stems grew outwards then the past couple of strains the stems have grown close to main stem. That knot is insane how my stems are now that would have multiple kinks
I don't use a lot ,not needed. Only three mils. in eighteen liters of solution. Been using it for years so will go a loong way. I find it makes the whole plant very flexible so really easy to train.

If you never trained before it's mainly a case of getting the feel of the plant, you do need to be early as the new growth is very pliable but when it hardens it becomes quite easy to snap then it's a case of knowing not to go too far, but well it's by doing that you develop the feel, so snap away, I'm thinking we all snapped something at some point..

Also in general you want your training done before flowering, you train to set the bud sites so you can just let them flower.. and a flowering plant already is much more stiff than a vegging plant so you can't bend them hard like that.. incremental increase of a shallow curve.

If you never trained before it's mainly a case of getting the feel of the plant, you do need to be early as the new growth is very pliable but when it hardens it becomes quite easy to snap then it's a case of knowing not to go too far, but well it's by doing that you develop the feel, so snap away, I'm thinking we all snapped something at some point..

Also in general you want your training done before flowering, you train to set the bud sites so you can just let them flower.. and a flowering plant already is much more stiff than a vegging plant so you can't bend them hard like that.. incremental increase of a shallow curve.
Hi pal i will train early next time i am also going to get a net should make it easier the leaves was huge at the start i snapped a fan leaf trying to tuck early on. I found this seed in some shake i got i was told it was guava it stunk ive also got another seed saved im also going to remove string i think when the plants growing up its putting more pressure on the string the tops lower than the side stems

it also says this Silica will help to build stronger root systems and stems, whilst simultaneously reducing water loss through the leaves i don't no if it would help with water on leaves from transpiration that's why i started tying down
Silica will help grow strong stems.

Back
Top Bottom