What actually Happens if I start an outside pot grow this late in the Summer?

GrowNMo

If i start now, will i end up killing the plant? Where i am the first long night is September 17. It sometimes freezes later in the winter, normally hot and humid in summer, fall lasts a few weeks and sometimes it gets cold and sometimes it is warm on Thanksgiving:) Thanks.

It can sometimes get freakishly cold in Missouri as early as Halloween, and the trend line looks like we have been getting gradually colder as we move toward the Maunder Minimum and the corresponding mini ice age that is coming. I would not bet on being able to keep the crop alive as long as it is going to need as we go into this winter. I expect an early and extraordinary cold one again this year.

I tried this last year. Everything was going smooth into November. Even with the colder weather (Southern California night temps mid 40's) the plants looked good into week 8 of ten week flower.
And then the bugs showed up.
I had caterpillars, gnats, and little jumpers to fend off. I was like the only bug buffet left open in the garden. The caterpillars did the most damage. Lost about 75% of my flowers. Yeah I cried. I did a 4 bucket wash at harvest then low and slow in the fridge. I screwed up the dry in the fridge and it made the smoke harsh, otherwise I think it may have turned out ok. I ended up with about 3-4 ounces of buds that I made edibles with.

So my advice is don't be fooled by the lack of bugs at first - they will find your ladies. Spray or build a net or both.

If i start now, will i end up killing the plant? Where i am the first long night is September 17. It sometimes freezes later in the winter, normally hot and humid in summer, fall lasts a few weeks and sometimes it gets cold and sometimes it is warm on Thanksgiving:) Thanks.

Unless you can bring them inside as the Temps drop, I wouldn't. You are essentially trying to veg during the time when most outside growers are in Flowering already.
As said above, worst case...u kill it lol.
You will still learn from the experience.
If it was me, I would do indoors at this point. Happy growing!!

Back
Top Bottom