What Reflective Materials Can I Use For My Grow Room?

The one i got from the home dumpo is a Styrofoam with a white side which has all the printing and the other side is a thin foil it my be Mylar, I don't know. Plants look good, my concern is could I do better with a different material>
bill
The best would probably be rolls of diamond mylar. Personally, I've been using just a very bright flat white paint andI can't imagine it being much better but being I came into a few rolls of mylar I may just hang them up next time and see how different things turn out...or not.

The one i got from the home dumpo is a Styrofoam with a white side which has all the printing and the other side is a thin foil it my be Mylar, I don't know. Plants look good, my concern is could I do better with a different material>
bill
The best would probably be rolls of diamond mylar. Personally, I've been using just a very bright flat white paint andI can't imagine it being much better but being I came into a few rolls of mylar I may just hang them up next time and see how different things turn out...or not.
Viagrow 100 ft. Diamond Mylar Film-VLTDF100 at The Home Depot

Aloha.
Flat white paint is the easies. Keeps the heat down if you are using a closet or small room. Mylar is good but not to easy with out reglector aliminum tape and a staple gun. I used the flatest white paint and it can be a cheap kind to. Use for ceiling to. Lights should or will probly be used so no light problem.
Hope you get some good and new trchnics from your question. Would love to see them too. Aloha

Aloha Rosekain
Never tried or heard of anyone usind mirrors. Hmm. Espensive I bet depending on the area again. I wonder if anyone tried mirrors and how would you angle them? Or arange them for as much even on light distrubution. Hmmm. I wonder.

The MIT theory on the net says: Metallic mirrors work pretty well, but they have limitations. The most important is that they waste energy, absorbing a small fraction of the light that falls on them.

M.I.T. Scientists Turn Simple Idea Into 'Perfect Mirror'

When I initially came on here it was for a book and other informational materials regarding marijuana. Though I do not grow weed, it doesn't mean I do not know anything.

I am an Electrical Designer which means I design lighting systems. I have worked on Thousands of projects but the ones that stand out for this excersize is The Butterfly House and Moody Gardens.

But just to make certain, I have solicited the Electrical Engineer I worked under. Here is his response What it lacks in verbosity it makes up in summary:

Mirrors will indeed help and they will reflect a small amount of heat too, but not as much as they do light. Try and see……

As a new user I cannot start a thread but I have a question about reflectors and I thought this would be a good place to post my question.

I am 3 weeks or so away from my fisrt harvest, I have stared a couple of clones and a couple of seelings but I had to build a makeshift grow box with matt white paper. My daughter, who seems to love me to death, not sure why, bought me a kind of foil windshield protector thinking I could use it instead of the paper. It one of them things you put in your car when you are parked in the sun to keep the sun off your dash. Would this work and all? I cannot post a pic as yet but it does not have a smooth surface so I am worried that firstly it will be ineffective and secondly it will cause hotspots.

As a new user I cannot start a thread but I have a question about reflectors and I thought this would be a good place to post my question.

I am 3 weeks or so away from my fisrt harvest, I have stared a couple of clones and a couple of seelings but I had to build a makeshift grow box with matt white paper. My daughter, who seems to love me to death, not sure why, bought me a kind of foil windshield protector thinking I could use it instead of the paper. It one of them things you put in your car when you are parked in the sun to keep the sun off your dash. Would this work and all? I cannot post a pic as yet but it does not have a smooth surface so I am worried that firstly it will be ineffective and secondly it will cause hotspots.

I am not sure if the deflector would work. Watch out, certain materials are not fire proof and if you have any hot lamps, they could fall on them and start a fire.

The grow areas I have seen with mirrors, they have used the mirror tiles which come in varying sizes and can be installed with strong double face tape. The 12x12 mirrors cost around $10 for 6 which of course means they cover 6sq ft. and can be purchased from Home Depot, WalMart or Leows.

I will look into that, the mirror thing, although I live in South Africa so I am not sure if we would get a similiar product, it was difficult enough to find a grow tent and lights and nutes, and and and.

I am using cfls small 24watts, 3 of them, so I dont reckon I will have a problem with heat causing a fire, but just never know. When I am done robbing the old lady down the road I will buy a bigger tent and use my current tent for seedlings and clones, so this is just a short term solution with very little capital outlay.

Edit: I was kidding about robbing the old lady down the road, she packs a 9mm, dangerous woman, hehehe.

I will look into that, the mirror thing, although I live in South Africa so I am not sure if we would get a similiar product, it was difficult enough to find a grow tent and lights and nutes, and and and.

I am using cfls small 24watts, 3 of them, so I dont reckon I will have a problem with heat causing a fire, but just never know. When I am done robbing the old lady down the road I will buy a bigger tent and use my current tent for seedlings and clones, so this is just a short term solution with very little capital outlay.

I have seen them on amazon and ebay. they're just a bit more.

Good info. I used Space Blankets. Only prob is hanging them as they are kinda fragile. But duct tape, the aluminum kind works wonders.

I've been using silvery bubblewrap-like material, like you find windshield sun shields sometimes made of. I got mine for free out of a dumpster, but I don't think it'd be very expensive. I stapled it to my walls with a staple gun and 1/2" T50 staples. Because it's got bubble wrap bubbles in it, it's surface is crenelated, so it might not be ideal for light, but it has been working fine for about a year now for me. It also has some insulating value to it, blocking heat from passing though it, but not a lot of thermal resistance. Maybe R-2 or R-3. It's surface is aluminized, and has begun flaking a bit for me, when I wipe dust off, so mine is probably due for replacement after my next grow.

Here's a pic of it.
100_40613.JPG

A mirror would be a poor choice, bud. It won't disperse light and heat properly, and could lead to heat spots, and poor lighting. Some flat white paint would do you a lot better. ;)

Silly question, but what section can I find mylar in at Lowes or Home depot!? I couldn't find it and didn't feel comfortable asking someone since I don't know any other reasons to buy rolls of mylar, lol!

Have you looked, to see if they carry it on there websights.
Here if a nother posibility, look at some of the Christmass Wraping paper, some of it looks like mylar, on the back sided and it is real cheap

Back
Top Bottom