What water should I use?

Hey guys, new to the 420life I'm currently curious to as of what water I should be using.
Is distilled a good option to start off or shall I go with RO!
I didn't want to start with tap water because of the chlorine added to the water.
Here in the UK the PPM of tap water is around 215/255PPM.
Sort of unsure where to go from this point.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

That's a decent tap water, mine is over 600ppm

Get big 5gsl juggs, fill em, let sit 24-48 hrs and any bad stuff, chlorine, will be gone

That said I use RO water since my tap has rocks and fish falling outa the tap...lol

That's a decent tap water, mine is over 600ppm

Get big 5gsl juggs, fill em, let sit 24-48 hrs and any bad stuff, chlorine, will be gone

That said I use RO water since my tap has rocks and fish falling outa the tap...lol

Haha that made me chuckle.
I had no idea that would work
Would you recommend me investing in a RO system or just keep to my tap water and leave it out for a couple days at a time.
Thank you for your time buddy really appreciated!

Tap is usually better, so I'd try it for awhile

Okay cheers buddy.
Can I quickly pick your brains for a second.
Is a Spiders farmer sf4000
450w from the wall big enough for a 5x5 or would you say 4x4
I was thinking 5x5 for space but I'm a complete nube to this and waht to get all my information correct before I start so I can build to become good and not shit and sloppy.
Do know what yeilds I'd be looking at with that light just gonna hope for the best.

Not familiar with the brand but QBs are all I use

That looks pretty good for a 5x5 space

Yield totally depends on you, the grower
1st grow, be happy the live through the grow
After that you can plan for higher yields

Do many factors in a grow to determine yield

Read lots and lots and lots

You need to look at the Chloramine levels in your tap. That wont go away after sitting out like Chlorine does. I’ve heard of people using Vitamin C pills to get it out though.
I personally use Spring water. It has the most beneficial trace minerals IMO. But it’s not cheap. $6- 5 gallon jugs.
If you go RO, you’ll need to supplement with Cal-mag.

Not familiar with the brand but QBs are all I use

That looks pretty good for a 5x5 space

Yield totally depends on you, the grower
1st grow, be happy the live through the grow
After that you can plan for higher yields

Do many factors in a grow to determine yield

Read lots and lots and lots
Okay cheers
Aha I plan on doing so I've ordered a couple of books to start me off.
Thanks for your information and time it gose a long way.

Okay cheers
Aha I plan on doing so I've ordered a couple of books to start me off.
Thanks for your information and time it gose a long way.
DoNt read books written 10yrs ago

Read info here, threads, how Toos , and ask questions

Lots has changed in 10 years with lights, nutes, strains, etc

I have two large aquariums, OK maybe not real large, a 30 gallon and a 50 gallon. When I have to top off the water level I let tap water sit in a bucket for a day and then pour in. Every 10 days I take 5 gallons out of each tank and want to bring the water level back up before taking care of the filters. I will then use a Chlorine remover which I can buy at the tropical fish store. The amounts to use are 5 ml per 50 gallons of water. Using more is OK. If I have a 2.5 gallon bucket I will put about 2.5 ml of the product into the water as the bucket is filling. Also, the product I am using is also good for removing Chloramine.

Just for the heck of it I just did a web page search using the words:
tropical fish remove chlorine
and all kinds of info showed up. Videos on how to remove chlorine and links to products to buy and links on how to remove chlorine for those of us who would rather read an article in a minute rather than wait the 5 minutes for a video to end.

Hey guys, new to the 420life I'm currently curious to as of what water I should be using.
Is distilled a good option to start off or shall I go with RO!
I didn't want to start with tap water because of the chlorine added to the water.
Here in the UK the PPM of tap water is around 215/255PPM.
Sort of unsure where to go from this point.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum @Azza420lifesbeauty! :welcome:
I am amazed and somewhat disappointed that no one has yet asked you what medium you will be using this water in. To answer your question correctly, this information must be gathered.
If you are running a hydro system or coco, where it is important to know the exact PPM of your water, then highly filtered or even distilled water is called for, just to have a zero base to start off with. I really think that distilled is total overkill in this however... it just isnt needed to be that pure and RO should be fine for most applications.
If you are running in soil, then the added minerals in tap water can actually be helpful and unless you are running a living organic grow where microbes are part of the feeding process, chlorine is not even a worry. There is no need to remove or worry about the little bit of chlorine that is in tap water, if you are not running an organic living soil grow. Actually a little bit of chlorine is needed by our plants, one of the 17 elements in their need list.

DoNt read books written 10yrs ago

Read info here, threads, how Toos , and ask questions

Lots has changed in 10 years with lights, nutes, strains, etc

Aha I know did some research that was completely back dated lol
I'll use this site for the most of it as people on here seam really help9and up to knowledge.
As so we're all smokers alike with the same hobby.

Welcome to the forum @Azza420lifesbeauty! :welcome:
I am amazed and somewhat disappointed that no one has yet asked you what medium you will be using this water in. To answer your question correctly, this information must be gathered.
If you are running a hydro system or coco, where it is important to know the exact PPM of your water, then highly filtered or even distilled water is called for, just to have a zero base to start off with. I really think that distilled is total overkill in this however... it just isnt needed to be that pure and RO should be fine for most applications.
If you are running in soil, then the added minerals in tap water can actually be helpful and unless you are running a living organic grow where microbes are part of the feeding process, chlorine is not even a worry. There is no need to remove or worry about the little bit of chlorine that is in tap water, if you are not running an organic living soil grow. Actually a little bit of chlorine is needed by our plants, one of the 17 elements in their need list.

Thank you for your information really appreciated. My fault to be honest I should of stated it at the start.
I'll be using coco to start with then maybe switch to soil or hydro all depending on taste as its for personal use. I know soil tastes nicer but I'm yet to find that out lol

just plain old soil fed with bottled nutrients is going to taste just the same as coco, fed with the same nutrients. It all depends on the style of growing you wish to do, whether you choose between coco or soil. The big taste difference comes with a very specialized form of organic growing, where only water is given in order to to keep the soil alive and teaming with microbes, who do all the feeding of the plants for you.
So if you are using coco, you really don't want to use tap water, because then you always have to add all that extra ppm to your calculations of nutrient strength. RO water is very popular because it is very low in ppm, and not as expensive as distilled.

You need to look at the Chloramine levels in your tap. That wont go away after sitting out like Chlorine does. I’ve heard of people using Vitamin C pills to get it out though.
I personally use Spring water. It has the most beneficial trace minerals IMO. But it’s not cheap. $6- 5 gallon jugs.
If you go RO, you’ll need to supplement with Cal-mag.

Do you leave you spring water out with a air stone or keep it bottled up?
Thank you for your Information and time.
I'm planning on using coco/ perlite 60/40mix to start with.

just plain old soil fed with bottled nutrients is going to taste just the same as coco, fed with the same nutrients. It all depends on the style of growing you wish to do, whether you choose between coco or soil. The big taste difference comes with a very specialized form of organic growing, where only water is given in order to to keep the soil alive and teaming with microbes, who do all the feeding of the plants for you.
So if you are using coco, you really don't want to use tap water, because then you always have to add all that extra ppm to your calculations of nutrient strength. RO water is very popular because it is very low in ppm, and not as expensive as distilled.

Do you create your own RO water or make it yourself.
I've looked into buying a ro system but I'm unsure on what stage to buy because it can get expensive and I've spent lots of money so far on lighting, tent and humidity.

Do you leave you spring water out with a air stone or keep it bottled up?
Thank you for your Information and time.
I'm planning on using coco/ perlite 60/40mix to start with.
It’s bottled up (Eldorado Springs). I use the whole 5 gallons typically, and if I do end up with extra, I water my vegetable garden with it. I don’t use synthetic nutes so it’s not really a big deal for me. I only add kelp/seaweed extract and molasses, other than that it’s a compost tea which can’t sit out longer than a few hours.

Hi. I live in the UK. I’ve been using Canna Terra Pro Plus (Amazon). It’s like Coco in that you need to PH your water at that range, but in every other respect you treat it like normal soil. You don’t have to keep it constantly wet. You water when the pot is dry. I’ve always just used tap water.

I use only RO water that I buy for .39 cents a gallon which is probably cheaper than buying a system and then replace expensive filters.
And I water my soil every single day with between 1 to 3 gallons per day.

The Chloramine and chlorine is removed along with heavy metals and other such nonsense that I dont want in my soil.
There are still trace minerals but overall a blank slate and I can add exactly what I want to feed my microbes.

Back
Top Bottom