What's Your Coco Mix?

Re: whats your COCO mix?

Hi there I'm currently growing in soil and plan on moving to coco for my next grow. Was hoping to gather some information on a good coco mix before i take the plunge, Will be watering with hydro nutes. Sooo what do you guys add? How do you buffer the coco's PH? Any help would be awesome. Thanx guys.
I use coco straight. no mix. never had a drainage or water retention problem. You will need a coco specific nutrient. I use pure blend pro for coco. Coco releases potassium as it degrades. Some nutrients high in pottasium could cause a over abundance of the element causing lock out.

Thanx Racefan! Will look into nutrients next time im at the hydro shop aka the toy store...

On a side note im a total noob and was wondering how the whole rep thing works???
On the bottom left of a post is a scale symbol. When you click on it you get the option of approving of the post or disapproving of the post and can leave a comment. The more rep points you have the more rep points you give someone when you give rep. Disapproving of rep reduces a persons rep points. but be careful and make sure you give neg rep only when you're truly sure it's deserved. people can retaliate and you might find yourself in the negatives. Personally i look for rep to determine who has helped the most and might know the most but it doesn't always guaranty a correct answer. Even I still make mistakes.;););)

Also try to pick up one of their videos if ur store gets the free promos. Lot of good info. I watched other people use Canna, then saw the video, read up on it and happy I did. I've heard of people goin with the cheap brick coir and having PH problems. Good choice sillyolpun. I'm sure u'll be pleased.

I use coco straight. no mix. never had a drainage or water retention problem. You will need a coco specific nutrient. I use pure blend pro for coco. Coco releases potassium as it degrades. Some nutrients high in potassium could cause a over abundance of the element causing lock out.
Thanks for the tip Racefan. I just tried str8 coco for the 1st time and PROBLEMS!! Out of 6 only1 did ok. saw some success with it at school so i gotta get the hang of it.+reps
Sillyolpun good choice, good luck + rep for pickin a winner.

I have been using canna coco for many grows awesome product I mix 70% canna coco 30% vermiculite excellent airation. Also root growth through this mix is much quicker and abundant than straight coco

I've been adding a high quality vegan compost 10%, Earthworm castings 10% Perlite 20%. 1 tbs dolomite lime scratched into top of 2 gal pot. Feed CNS-17 coco, Calmag. Nice!

I'm currently three weeks into my first coco grow and am pretty pleased with the results so far. I've used coco coir in my vegetable garden and added it to my compost pile for several years now. My local garden store sells the large bricks that hydrate out to three cubic feet. I have a plastic trash can to keep the extra media in.

I'm using a 50/50 mix of coir and perlite in a drain-to-waste setup. It drains thoroughly and retains moisture without being at all soggy. It isn't hydroponic, but it sure works well.

I took six well rooted Big Buddha Cheese clones, still in their starter pots and before they had been fed anything but water, and potted them up in 1 gallon nursery pots using my mix that I moistened with water. Everyone went onto a tray under a four bulb flourescent, and I started them on Flora Series liquid nutes. I have a 1/8" hole drilled in one corner of the tray with a string through the hole leading down to a bucket. The string leads the water down without splashing, and it is virtually impossible to over-water them with this setup.

I kept them under the florescent for about 3 weeks and switched them today into the main drain table and under a 400 W MH. I plan to veg these girls for at least another week, then top them, let them grow four or five new tops, and then trigger the bloom. I have a 600 W HPS ready for blooming.

So far the growth has been very impressive. I'm suing the bending techniques I've been reading about here and it certainly helps the girls bush out. The room has a very distinct sour cheese smell that gets stronger by the hour, and that is also a very good sign that all is well.

I have no pest problems because the incoming air is filtered, and no smell problems because the light hood fan intake is filtered and the exhaust is up into the attic space of a two story building. I've got excellent light security and a 50 gallon food-grade plastic drum full of water in the grow room not only for water but as a thermal mass to help keep the temperature stable when the lights are off.

For now I plan on hand feeding, and I have as little automation as possible. I switch it all on and off myself and I don't plan on traveling any time soon, so a whole bunch of timers and gizmos are not needed at this point. I have a good, simple Ph testing kit and I pay attention to my formulas so I remain consistent and don't spike ph or PPMs.

So far so good. I like the coir/perlite mix and more importantly, so do the girls...

Onward!

I keep it simple.

Botanicare brick coco. You put it in water and it expands. I love how gritty and airy it is, and it just happens to be really cheap.

50/50 coco perlite. or 50/50 coco pumus, the grey stuff that looks like perlite, or 50, 25, 25 - coco, perlite, pumus.

I want to try 50/50 coco hydroton and 50/50 coco lava rock.

I always treat the water before I soak the coco brick to expand it. If I use an already fluffy coco, which I haven't found one I like, I also soak it in ph 5.8 water, 100ppm calmag plus, and sometimes humic acid. I think I will always use humic acid from now on.

I also water with calmag 100ppm every other watering, when I am not feeding, or every third or fourth watering.

Lava rock is Not a good idea , to many variables in lava rock as it's not all the same as every location has a different chem makeup , the red lava around here is not good at all for growing anything , stunts every plant I used in it & this is every garden plant , weed , succulents ,cacti , all did the same thing sit & pout then die . move any outta the red lava mix Boom grows well .

I have the bottom of my hempy buckets in perlite, then for the rest of the medium I use a 65/35% coco/perlite mix.
And I don't care what the bag says, I always rinse my coco and test the run off, gets rid of another variable for me ya know?
dolomite is pretty handy to have around too!

Lava rock is Not a good idea , to many variables in lava rock as it's not all the same as every location has a different chem makeup , the red lava around here is not good at all for growing anything , stunts every plant I used in it & this is every garden plant , weed , succulents ,cacti , all did the same thing sit & pout then die . move any outta the red lava mix Boom grows well .

What kind of cacti you got? I have quite a few different and some rare species myself ;)

Coco is the way to go. Hands down. No soil equals full manipulation of that plants feeding, giving you full control. pH will always depend on the strain. Though some might have grey areas, where you might get it kind of right, it's all about finding that magic number where all of the nutes are used instead of frying a plant. BIG feedings too. It's a lot of fun.

What kind of cacti you got? I have quite a few different and some rare species myself ;)
africans mostly now gasteria,haworthia ,aloe ,euphorbia

Back
Top Bottom