When exactly am i suppose to see buds

kitwel

I've been growing a northern lights from seed since like dec 21, 2012. It's now about 3ft high. It was indoors till about 3wks ago when I moved it out to my garden. From what I understand (or misunderstand :)), this plant is taking an awfully long time in vegetative state. Could someone enlighten me? Yes, I am a complete newb.

Re: When exactly am i suppose to see buds....

hi Kitwel, welcome to 420 magazine. We all gotta start somewhere :) I'm pretty new myself but I will do my best to answer your question. If I understand correctly, your Northern lights is currently outdoor right?

If so the natural light cycle would have to get to about 12 hours of daylight 12 hours of night time temps before the plant will begin to flower. Typically the first signs of flower will be small white hairs (pistols), being that northern lights is an indica strain the flowering period will be around 45-60 days, the longer you flower the more CBD it produces and the milkier and darker the trichromes become. You can check with a magnifying glass to see when its ready to harvest. If your seeking what most people refer to as a body high, flower longer, less flower time gives a more head like high.

Here is a link for sunrise and sunsets by location to give you a rough estimate how much longer till flowering will be induced. USA Locations for Sunrise Sunset Calendar

I hope this helps and best of luck on all your future grows! :thumb:

Thank you. So if I understand, it being outside only about three weeks, it may be more time till I actually see it start to bud, right? Is it normal that a pot plant would take over 7 months to start to bud? And I am definatley after CBD so I will let it flower for the full 60 days. :)

Hi kitwel,

When a plant starts to flower, it can take up to 2 weeks til you actually start to see the flowers coming in.

Also, when you moved the plant from indoors to out, did you harden off the plant? If not, then it could have suffered from some shock. Indoor lighting is nowhere near the type of light the sun produces.

Hope this helps.

:Namaste:

Thanks for your input guys :) I have also been informed by an "ex-hells angel pot grower" that we can not grow pot outdoors where I am because we don't have the right night/daylight ratio needed for the plant to flower in my area. Really??? Because I've heard of quite a few thriving outdoor pot operations around me (I'm only trying to grow one measly plant), so how could they be doing it? He also says I'm not training my dog properly (doberman). Old men are so cranky :)

Where to start.. first, you vegged the plant since december on a light cycle that had more than 12 hours of darkness, that is why it did not flower inside. Once you move it outside you need at least 12 hours of dark before the plant will start to flower. I have no idea where you are, so i have no idea what kind of light you are getting. If you are still getting lots of day light it may not be flowering yet. The time it takes to grow a plant rests on the grower. We vegged a bunch of plants in Decmeber. the first wave of those plants we flowered (inside) and harvested in April (4 months). the rest of those plants in are flowering in different waves,(a week or two apart) and the last of them just got harvested about a week or two ago, so the took almost 6 or 7 months. Only because we kept them in the veg state for so long. Because you moved it outside, you may have stressed the plant and it is trying to recover which may be why it is not flowering yet (if you have enough darkness).

and the old guy may be right, you may not be able to grow out doors start to finish, but you vegged indoors, you should have time to flower out doors. oh, and p.s, your training your dog wrong lol.

A better way to explain it that the plants needs 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness before it will flower. It doesn't matter how much light - it's the darkness that allows a hormone to build up to the triggering point. If you had it inside, it may never have actually gotten 12 continuous hours of total darkness, and there won't be 12 hours of darkness outside until mid September.

And if it's only 3 ft high, it also wasn't getting much light inside, either. I would expect it to recover and start growing like crazy, but not flower. If you can stand it, let it run its course. It'll flower rapidly and vigorously in September. Two more months of veg in the bright sun should make it an 8 footer, and you'll harvest large weight off it by mid November - multiple ounces - might make the wait worth it.

You guys are great. I think i understand now and I will just let the plant veg till like sept/oct. It is just starting to send out new growth on the top, so i'll just let it do it's thing. As for the old guy, i made thc oil with leaves i collected from the plant and made him his favorite black forest cupcakes with a special kick :)

Wait...Northern lights can grow to 8 ft?????? I might have a problem with my neighbors....

Ok, so checked my plant - nut sacks <<facepalm>> S'ok, I'll just make hash https://www.420magazine.com/community/styles/420style/smilies/thumb.gif

So, some of the nut sacks are bursting open ?? I collected some and sealed them well and put them in the freezer for if I decide I need to pollinate a female. I broke one open and white powder came out - does the nut sacks need to mature before I pick them? Cause they are already bursting open on their own.

Decided to check the leaves for resin glands - used my 200x microscope and got the following pictures...

kitwel.186413

Would these be immature resin glands? They do not look like mushrooms at all.

G'day
Given that you've moved it to a natural outdoor area I would recommend simply kick starting the flowering cycle by using a natural flower stage nutrient. Stick to using 1/2 to 3/4 of the dosage guideline. This should definitely show some results within a fewdays.

-hempsta

in my area it is mid oct before we get a below 12 hours of sun a day but there will be a killing frost in sept make it kinda rough growing outside. however the plants will go into flower long before the oct usually in august but they will still need to be moved indoors or covered and possibly heated to get them past that first frost after which we normally get a month free of frost.

checked today and i have two plants showing hairs on their tops sunrise 5 20 sunset 8 50 guess they really do not need 12-12 outdoors
or it is a three foot auto flower with as 3 month grow time before bloom

Back
Top Bottom