When in the vegetative stage can you clone for the purpose of determining sex?

I was under the impression that a clone continues its maturation immediately after being taken from the mother. If this is true then wouldn't you already be able to tell sex from the mother? Or do you have to put the clone on 12/12 to try to induce flowering in the clone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: At which point in thevegetative stage can you clone for the purpose of determinin

If your cloning it will be the same sex as the plant you took it from
Timing the taking of clones is opinionated. You can whenever you want up to a few weeks of flowering I think. I've seen peeps get really nice clones from that. I just sprouted a few for the first time. I was 4 weeks in when I took clones from a mother.
IMG_0044120.JPG

Re: At which point in thevegetative stage can you clone for the purpose of determinin

I was under the impression that a clone continues its maturation immediately after being taken from the mother. If this is true then wouldn't you already be able to tell sex from the mother? Or do you have to put the clone on 12/12 to try to induce flowering in the clone.

You can take the cutting as long as you have space to take a healthy cutting .Yes you would have to put the clone under 12/12 to sex.

"carpe diem"

What I'm asking is how old must the mother be to be able to tell the sex through the clone?

I know you can take clones and that they will be identical genetically to the plant to from which it was taken. I am trying to figure out when to take cuttings from my plants.

I'm growing regular seeds and I have 6 plants so if it's possible to determine sex before plant reaches sexual maturity through cloning and then flowering those Clones. Does this clear things up?

I guess my use of " mother " was confusing. I should've said the parent plant.

I guess my use of " mother " was confusing. I should've said the parent plant.

No not confusing . As long as you can take a cutting you can sex it. Regardless of age. Forgot that part and if put under 12 12 while trying to root it will show flower signs .

"carpe diem"

Yes, you have to put the clone into 12/12 to find out sex. It has to grow roots and all that stuff so it's not like an instantly show you sex, it will do so in around same amount of time as if you put the mother into 12/12 pretty much far as I know. Think I read that somewhere where you can sex a cutting, but I've never seen any new growth off a cutting until it has a root system personally so not sure I can see how it possible.

Yes, you have to put the clone into 12/12 to find out sex. It has to grow roots and all that stuff so it's not like an instantly show you sex, it will do so in around same amount of time as if you put the mother into 12/12 pretty much far as I know. Think I read that somewhere where you can sex a cutting, but I've never seen any new growth off a cutting until it has a root system personally so not sure I can see how it possible.
I guess I does not take much energy to produce a pistil or flower to sex . So I think it can happen even before rooting.

"carpe diem"

I guess I does not take much energy to produce a pistil or flower to sex . So I think it can happen even before rooting.

"carpe diem"

Could be that I am half blind is part of the problem ;) I tried it once and it was like 3 weeks before I could find pistils, so I just figured it had to have a root system of some sort before it would do any growth.

Could be that I am half blind is part of the problem ;) I tried it once and it was like 3 weeks before I could find pistils, so I just figured it had to have a root system of some sort before it would do any growth.
Lol no not saying that buddy. Thought it would be possible

"carpe diem"

Lol no not saying that buddy. Thought it would be possible

"carpe diem"

Well it takes me 10 days minimum to see pistils, that and too new at this to tell preflowers that some folks seem to be able to see even if they not in Flower. I just never see any growth when I do cuttings for clones, they just look like they slowly dying until they get roots and then take off with new growth.

Well it takes me 10 days minimum to see pistils, that and too new at this to tell preflowers that some folks seem to be able to see even if they not in Flower. I just never see any growth when I do cuttings for clones, they just look like they slowly dying until they get roots and then take off with new growth.
Giving them a full 24 hrs of darkness before 12/12 should speed up how fast. Strain dependent though.

"carpe diem"

Got it!!
Thanks so much, so as long as the plant is large enough to successfully take a cutting it is mature enough for the clone to show sex. Thanks again!

I've been able to get a successful cutting out of 3 week old plants, which were grown from seeds under 18/6 light. Then it takes me about 2-3 weeks of that clone being under 12/12 light to easily tell the sex. Some people will be able to tell sooner, but make no mistake...it's the 12/12 light that gets them to show their sex. So by that time, the original parent is pretty big in the veg box.

Back
Top Bottom